Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RePL Course - Australia.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cabansail
Second Officer
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

I have enrolled to undertake my RePL (Remote Pilot's Licence) and will start just after Easter. It is a seven day course run over nine days. have to travel to Newcastle for the training which is a bit over seven hours drive down the road. Have a friend who lives nearby and so I will have accomodation there.

Thought I would post information here about the course if anyone is interested in the program.

So far I have been sent the login to undertake the preparatory stuff before the course. They allow two weeks for this. There is some theory and a bit of practical. Have completed the theory part already. It only took a few hours looking at the online videos and then answering questions. Am expecting delivery of a micro quadcopter in the post and when it arrives there will be some practical exercises to undertake. In coversation they said that if you have your own Phantom then that will be easy. Still I get a new toy to keep. When in Newcastle the practical exercises are done with Phantom 4's.

I could have used my Private Pilot's Licence and then just undertaken some type training on the Phantom but thought I would do the entire course from the start as it's over 20 years since I did the training.
2017-4-11
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi Cab. Sounds great if you can share your experience. I'm very curious...

Re the quadcopter. They supply you with one for the course? Which is it, and that must inflate the course cost then? And to confirm,  if you have a Phantom that is adequate to use instead?
2017-4-11
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer

Australia

The Micro Quadcopter you keep. Not sure what it is but I am sure it will just be a toy.

They have a fleet of P4's they use for the training. Not sure if you get one each but I assume that is how it will work. You only use it during the course not to keep. i will pack my P3S  as well but not for the use during the course.
2017-4-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Best of luck to you, I'm sure most of the information will be like riding a bike.
2017-4-11
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-4-11 15:59
The Micro Quadcopter you keep. Not sure what it is but I am sure it will just be a toy.

They have a fleet of P4's they use for the training. Not sure if you get one each but I assume that is how it will work. You only use it during the course not to keep. i will pack my P3S  as well but not for the use during the course.

Once you try that Lightbridge, the Standard just won't be the same any more.
2017-4-11
Use props
MAD35
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4387201 ft
Australia

Although I have completed my 250th flight on my P4, I am about to go through the same thing.  After CASA have come down hard on some of my videos, I have a new respect for the rules and will be completing both the RePL and ReOC stuff.
2017-4-12
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer

Australia

MAD35 Posted at 2017-4-12 01:32
Although I have completed my 250th flight on my P4, I am about to go through the same thing.  After CASA have come down hard on some of my videos, I have a new respect for the rules and will be completing both the RePL and ReOC stuff.

What is strange is that there are even more restrictions on commercial flights by a licenced operator than those conducted in a recreational capacity.

What did CASA say/do?

When are you doing the training?

2017-4-12
Use props
Bootspike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 109281 ft
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-4-12 14:59
What is strange is that there are even more restrictions on commercial flights by a licenced operator than those conducted in a recreational capacity.

What did CASA say/do?

Cabansail, I'm also interested in your experiences so please keep us all updated. Looking at both a RePL and ReOC as there is some videography plus rural work to do and insurance will be needed.

Also interested in MAD35's experiences.
2017-4-12
Use props
MAD35
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4387201 ft
Australia

Bootspike Posted at 2017-4-12 21:41
Cabansail, I'm also interested in your experiences so please keep us all updated. Looking at both a RePL and ReOC as there is some videography plus rural work to do and insurance will be needed.

Also interested in MAD35's experiences.

Hey Guys,  I have been flying my P4 for nearly a year now and as I said, have around 250 flights under my belt.  I believe I am a safe pilot and always ensure I am not putting people or property in danger.

I started a YouTube channel to showcase my flights and the beautiful places I have travelled around Australia.  Unfortunately for me, some arm chair pilots have reported me to CASA in regards to my flights which do breach the VLOS rules mostly.

They tracked me down and have come down hard on me because of my flights and as they say, all the evidence is recorded on my YouTube channel.  I am going through the process with them now and won't know the outcome for a while yet.

The funny thing is, they have complimented me on my videos but say they have all mostly broken all the CASA rules.  They say it is illegal to fly using goggles or FPV and you should always been looking at your drone with the naked eye. I personally think it's safer to fly FPV but hey rules are rules.

They have encouraged me to go down the certification path which I will do and hope it helps my case.
2017-4-14
Use props
Monyx
lvl.1
Flight distance : 152677 ft
Australia

Following with interest - have the costs come down are cert courses still around AUD $5-7k? I have just bought a P4Pro for my own use/training/real estate and we are considering raising a business case at work to procure a drone.  At first glance the revised CASA Part 101 amendment for excluded RPA seem to eliminate the need for certification but a clincher I see is not being able to apply for change beyond the excluded standard operating conditions.
The only rule I see that many people do not heed is "You must not fly your RPA over any populous areas. These can include: beaches, parks and sporting ovals.", especially considering the CASA advisory circular explicitly points out that for RPA operations the term populous areas does not have it's common meaning i.e. operating over a single person not associated with the flight can be considered a "populous area". So much for an idiot flying a Mavic over kids easter hunt
2017-4-16
Use props
Monyx
lvl.1
Flight distance : 152677 ft
Australia

* not only rule - rather one rule I see broken in a lot vids.
2017-4-16
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer

Australia

I head off to Newcastle tomorrow to start the course on Thursday.

Today mt practice aircraft arrived. I have assembled it and charged the batteries. Now to do some set exercises flying circuits, hovering, rotations, figure eights etc.

Have not fitted the supplied prop guards as a couple of them hit the prop tips. Should not need them anyway.
MicroQuad.jpeg
2017-4-17
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer

Australia

Have now completed the first two days of the course. It seems very well run. First day was all theory and the second a mix of theory and some practical. There is a limit of eight students to a class. The sessions are nicely informal and the instructor is someone who has been flying UAV's commercially for some time. This means he knows what the pressures are in the real world.

The small "toy" above was very hard to fly and it seems nobody could complete the exercises which were suggested. We are now flying P4's and doing some practice flying over some cones on a sports field.

I will post some photo's soon when they are processed.
2017-4-21
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer

Australia

Some shots of the flying practice.

DSC_6815.jpg
DSC_6817.jpg
DSC_6819.jpg
DSC_6821.jpg
2017-4-21
Use props
Bootspike
lvl.4
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-4-21 14:04
Have now completed the first two days of the course. It seems very well run. First day was all theory and the second a mix of theory and some practical. There is a limit of eight students to a class. The sessions are nicely informal and the instructor is someone who has been flying UAV's commercially for some time. This means he knows what the pressures are in the real world.

The small "toy" above was very hard to fly and it seems nobody could complete the exercises which were suggested. We are now flying P4's and doing some practice flying over some cones on a sports field.

Thanks for the update, it's greatly appreciated. A few odd things noted in the pics, but apart from that, I'm jealous. Proper RePL training is on my to do list.
2017-4-21
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer

Australia

Bootspike Posted at 2017-4-21 15:49
Thanks for the update, it's greatly appreciated. A few odd things noted in the pics, but apart from that, I'm jealous. Proper RePL training is on my to do list.

What are the "odd things"?
2017-4-21
Use props
Bootspike
lvl.4
Australia

Minor matters mate. The lady in red with strange antenna angles and a fellow in the last pic facing the antennae at the ground. I'm super sensitive after regularly losing signal, even at that range. Also, the 30m rule must have a dispensation in this scenario.

Really, I'm just jealous as my machine is in hospital at present - and I really want to do a course like this!
2017-4-21
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer

Australia

Bootspike Posted at 2017-4-21 21:00
Minor matters mate. The lady in red with strange antenna angles and a fellow in the last pic facing the antennae at the ground. I'm super sensitive after regularly losing signal, even at that range. Also, the 30m rule must have a dispensation in this scenario.

Really, I'm just jealous as my machine is in hospital at present - and I really want to do a course like this!

Did not notice the antenna angles.

The 30m rule is enforced. On this session we had to wait until some people walking on the field moved away. One of the guys asked if they would be there long and they said they were just leaving. All others in the shots are directly involved with the operation of the aircraft and so they are allowed to be there.
2017-4-22
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer

Australia

Today we had a Commercial Pilot take us through the Aircraft Radio Operators Certificate and then test the group. I already had my AROC as a part of my PPL so did not need to be tested. The young one's these days have it easy as they no longer have to be tested on morse code.

After lunch we took the P4's out to do some more practice, this time flying figure 8's. A fair breeze came up and I found it quite hard to do balanced turns as it transitioned into and away from the wind.

Later we went through a module on Human Performance considerations.

That was day three.
2017-4-24
Use props
Bootspike
lvl.4
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-4-24 01:24
Today we had a Commercial Pilot take us through the Aircraft Radio Operators Certificate and then test the group. I already had my AROC as a part of my PPL so did not need to be tested. The young one's these days have it easy as they no longer have to be tested on morse code.

After lunch we took the P4's out to do some more practice, this time flying figure 8's. A fair breeze came up and I found it quite hard to do balanced turns as it transitioned into and away from the wind.

Thanks for the update.  Are you required to fly in Atti mode or P mode for the figure 8s? Also, I'm pleased I didn't need morse for my AROC, but that was only 40 years ago.
2017-4-24
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer

Australia

We flew the Figure 8's in GPS mode.
2017-4-24
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer

Australia

I finished the course today. It was a very enjoyable seven days.

We did the theory test yesterday. I got 82/85 which was equal top mark but was annoyed at the three I got wrong as two were from not reading the questions correctly and the other was from not looking at the full entry in the ERSA.

Today was the flight test, which is the hard part. Had to have a second go at doing the right hand circuit and the obstacle avoidance in ATTI mode. The wind was gusty which made it interesting. After a bit more practice I got a pass.

In the afternoon I had a bit of a fly of an Inspire 1 with dual controls. That was fun.

Now I will await my license to be issued by CASA.

Anyone considering doing this course I would highly reccomend UAVAIR. They run a very good course.
2017-4-27
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer

Australia

One more pic from the course.

DSC_6960a.jpg
2017-4-27
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-4-27 23:46
One more pic from the course.

Are you a Lightbridge convert now?
2017-4-28
Use props
sky wombat
Captain
Flight distance : 1444049 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Well done & interesting notes. You are now our forum expert you realise?
2017-4-28
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer

Australia

Labroides Posted at 2017-4-28 03:45
Are you a Lightbridge convert now?

Not really as the furthest we flew was 60m and about 30m altitude there was not much difference from the P3S in that regard.

Must admit I did quite like my short flight of the Inspire. It was such a stable platform. It is however a lot less forgiving in a mishap.
2017-4-28
Use props
Bootspike
lvl.4
Australia

Thanks for the notes. They are greatly appreciated.
2017-5-1
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer

Australia

Bootspike Posted at 2017-5-1 01:20
Thanks for the notes. They are greatly appreciated.

Welcome.

Happy to answer any specific questions about the course.
2017-5-1
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer

Australia

My Certificate arrived in the post today. I guess that's official.
2017-5-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Cabansail Posted at 2017-5-12 18:00
My Certificate arrived in the post today. I guess that's official.

Hi Cabansail congrats, being following looked like a great experience , remember doing my practical 32km winds, guy doing test in front of me crashed almost hit the tester, nerves got the better of him. So I understand the degree of difficulty and personal achievement involved. Good luck..
2017-5-13
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer

Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-13 05:27
Hi Cabansail congrats, being following looked like a great experience , remember doing my practical 32km winds, guy doing test in front of me crashed almost hit the tester, nerves got the better of him. So I understand the degree of difficulty and personal achievement involved. Good luck..

2017-5-14
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer

Australia

Have been contacted by Services NSW. They were confirming my bank account details. My $1000 scholarship should be deposited in the next few days.
2017-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules