Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Z-axis very jumpy
1211 6 2017-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LennyLevy
lvl.1
United States

I just got a z-axis to try with an Osmo Pro. It seems to bounce up and down a great deal though, very sensitive to the slightest movement in my hand. Is this normal. Seems the opposite of what I would expect, though on my first test walkk it did seem smoother than I expected.
Can I expect to be able to run with this thing?
As usual I see very little written support for it .

Lenny

2017-4-13
Use props
Cephas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1949820 ft
  • >>>
United States

I noticed this too when I bought mine. Sure it was better then not having it on, but I expected it to be smoother. I suspected that the spring that DJI used didn't have enough tension thus causing it to bounce more then I would like. So I went to my local Home Depot found the spring with the exact length but the coils were slightly thicker equating to greater tension. I replaced the spring and got much better results with the z-axis for the Osmo Pro.
2017-4-13
Use props
LennyLevy
lvl.1
United States

Cephas Posted at 2017-4-13 15:13
I noticed this too when I bought mine. Sure it was better then not having it on, but I expected it to be smoother. I suspected that the spring that DJI used didn't have enough tension thus causing it to bounce more then I would like. So I went to my local Home Depot found the spring with the exact length but the coils were slightly thicker equating to greater tension. I replaced the spring and got much better results with the z-axis for the Osmo Pro.

Wow, That's crazy that they put in the wrong spring in? What an odd company is all I can say.
Pretty inventive on your part. Did this make it stop bouncing up and down so much? Actually it looks like the results are going to be terrible from how it looks to my eye, but the pictures seem to be a lot better. At least so far but I'm just beginning testing. Maybe my next post will say it really is bouncing up and down like crazy .

Can you tell me the type and model of spring you bought so I could know what I was getting instead of reinventing the wheel.
2017-4-13
Use props
geoffz
First Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

LennyLevy Posted at 2017-4-13 17:31
Wow, That's crazy that they put in the wrong spring in? What an odd company is all I can say.
Pretty inventive on your part. Did this make it stop bouncing up and down so much? Actually it looks like the results are going to be terrible from how it looks to my eye, but the pictures seem to be a lot better. At least so far but I'm just beginning testing. Maybe my next post will say it really is bouncing up and down like crazy .

On another post I commented on the shortcomings of the DJI 3-axis gimbal.
I've worked with a more complete steady cam system which has no bounce whatsoever.
The Osmo+ is not competitive and even at a lesser price point, you'd think the engineers at DJI could/should do better.
2017-4-13
Use props
marctronixx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

Its "Steadicam" and that is technically a specific brand name and not just a "catch all" like how "Xerox" is for example. There's  Steadicam, XCS, PRO, Artemis, MK-V and Glidecam which are all "stabilizers". So use "stabilizer" when referring to this specific market.

Experience: im a 17 year actual Steadicam (the brand) operator owner. I fly Steadicam daily and train others as well.

The Z axis is nice . It works well. You must understand its limits and keep within them.
i use a ZENMUSE camera on the osmo and with the newer model z-axis to fit this camera, it's actually working rather well.

The Z is not designed for sports or running. You STILL must walk appropriately  and "tune" the spring in the Z that's tailored  to the terrain and shots you are trying to acquire.

In practice, tune the spring so the camera rests just slightly below level. Use "inline walking"aka like a duck, and train your arm to dampen any major z axis movements. Yes this takes practice but will be worth it if you want better /semi pro quality captures.

Its also incorrect to say that a "steady cam (sic) system has no bounce whatsoever". This is also not entirely true. Even if you have gyro-stabilized sled, you can still overcome its effectiveness if you push the system past it limits.

A full size rig is STILL attached to your body and if you roll, tilt, yaw your body, those movements translate to the camera you're flying. One can't just put on a rig with zero experience and get super stabilized images. Its 90% operator, 10% gear.
2017-4-14
Use props
DTK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

There are 2 models of z axis, one for osmos and the other for pro. Pro is heavier and needs a more stronger sysgem
2017-4-14
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

I have heard that the Z Axis is a bit stiffer in flashlight mode.
2017-4-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules