Does Mavic produce Flickering videos for you?
2258 21 2017-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jpap81
lvl.1

Greece

Hi, I have been experiencing flickering in nearly all my videos. Do you think that's normal?

Thanks for your time
2017-4-14
Use props
Jpap81
lvl.1

Greece

Flickering is visible is much more noticeable in full screen and Full HD or above
2017-4-14
Use props
Kevin16
lvl.3
Flight distance : 353642 ft
Australia

I believe you need to keep your shutter speed down as close to your frame rate as possible and not allow for an uneven number of shutter actuation to the frame rate.  Ideally if you want your frame rate to be 30fps, your shutter speed would be the same.  If that causes too much exposure, try going up in intervals of 30.  

Along with that, control your focus manually.
2017-4-14
Use props
daishi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1106325 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Kevin16 Posted at 2017-4-14 02:00
I believe you need to keep your shutter speed down as close to your frame rate as possible and not allow for an uneven number of shutter actuation to the frame rate.  Ideally if you want your frame rate to be 30fps, your shutter speed would be the same.  If that causes too much exposure, try going up in intervals of 30.  

Along with that, control your focus manually.

I always thought the Sutter speed should be around double the frame rate?
So 30fps -> 1/60s shutter speed. Or did I get something wrong?
2017-4-14
Use props
Jpap81
lvl.1

Greece

Definitely less noticeable, but still there.
The following video was shot with manual exposure, ND32, Fixed shutter : 1/60, ISO100-400 depending on the situation, manual selected white balance.

Do see it? Is it acceptable? For some reason, flickering is seen on trees, and any other green.
2017-4-14
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

First video I definitely see how jerky the motion is. The second one looks fine to me. I'm looking at both in 4k and 2k on a 4k monitor (set 30fps). What do you mean by flicker exactly? It's probably your monitor, I'm seeing nothing in the trees.

That first video is weird though. See that a lot on people's videos where it could be high shutter but it's more. That would drive me insane. I shoot high shutter and don't get the jerky stuff until moving at pretty high yaw speeds.
2017-4-14
Use props
Jpap81
lvl.1

Greece

In the second video it's less noticeable for sure. Concentrate on the left side of the screen where the trees are.  Yes, I've seen this kind of flickering in so many other's videos as well. That's why I'm asking if this is normal or defect.
2017-4-14
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

Yeah I'm not seeing it. Look at my video http://bit.ly/2oddZqr lot's of trees. If you see flickering there, it maybe your monitor. I have a 32" and 40" 4k freesync monitors here, I'm not seeing it.
2017-4-14
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-14 08:56
Yeah I'm not seeing it. Look at my video http://bit.ly/2oddZqr lot's of trees. If you see flickering there, it maybe your monitor. I have a 32" and 40" 4k freesync monitors here, I'm not seeing it.

I see the flickering/stuttering in your video even worse than the OP.  So this can be my monitor?  I have a 27" 1080p connected via HDMI.  My videos all have stutter to some degree when I view on my monitor.  What's the deal, can you explain what's happening?
2017-4-14
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

EastyT Posted at 2017-4-14 09:11
I see the flickering/stuttering in your video even worse than the OP.  So this can be my monitor?  I have a 27" 1080p connected via HDMI.  My videos all have stutter to some degree when I view on my monitor.  What's the deal, can you explain what's happening?

Create a custom resolution. Set your refresh rate to 30hz. You'll get a stutter every second in 60Hz because it's trying to playback ntsc (29.97) at 60, 61 fps.

My old asus 1080p monitor was fine. But it's very old. The newer monitors with freesync work great at matching fps in 3d gaming, but ntsc video it's just bad. I edit videos in 30fps but program and generally stay in 60. It's too jerky at 30, other than premiere.

Old trick in windows is hold the windows key and hit p to switch between inputs. You can setup different refresh rates like this. Have 60hz set with DP and switch to HDMI, your custom 30hz.
2017-4-14
Use props
Jpap81
lvl.1

Greece

thehippoz, I see it in your video too.  By flickering, I mean some tiny quick flashes. Their duration is a fraction of a second. They happen maybe 2-3 times every second. In your video, is not noticeable in every shot. I think the flickering is more noticeable when there is movement. Could it be that the encoder cannot keep up with all the details that has to process?
I am using a Full HD 46" Samsung TV, a 13" Macbook Air, a 15,4" at 1366x768 windows PC. I can see it in all my devices.  

I don't have a 4K monitor, but my problem started right when I went to buy at a store a new 55" 4K TV. I had with me a usb stick with a 4K clip from my Mavic just to try it. The flickering in one shot of that clip was so intense, I just couldn't not stand watching it. I went back and started investigating in my videos. Well, the flickering was there all the times. Nearly all my videos have it, I just hadn't noticed it. But now my eyes are trained and almost all the time I can see it.
2017-4-14
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

Jpap81 Posted at 2017-4-14 10:18
thehippoz, I see it in your video too.  By flickering, I mean some tiny quick flashes. Their duration is a fraction of a second. They happen maybe 2-3 times every second. In your video, is not noticeable in every shot. I think the flickering is more noticeable when there is movement. Could it be that the encoder cannot keep up with all the details that has to process?
I am using a Full HD 46" Samsung TV, a 13" Macbook Air, a 15,4" at 1366x768 windows PC. I can see it in all my devices.  

Sounds like artifacting to me. This can happen when using bad cables. Especially DP cables. I just went over your video again and I honestly can't see it in 4k. And the second one in 2k is about perfect here. Maybe someone else can verify, but I don't see anything odd other than in the 4k video, it's jerky like a slight jello maybe + high shutter speeds.

You say you see this on every device? Let me check on my phone.

Edit- Video on the first one looks near perfect on my phone, but the screen is too small to see the details I see on monitor. Sorry I don't see the flashes Jpap, maybe someone else can help.
2017-4-14
Use props
blunt_blunt
Ban Posts

Australia

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-4-14
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Jpap81,
I see what your talking about , I wouldn't call it a flicker -- it doesn't seem to be the whole picture either
it's happening so quick it looks like the trees go out of focus and then come back and I only see it in the left center to two thirds of the way down the frame of your first Video --- I'm an amateur photographer with a lot to learn --- I have some what of the same that happens to me while recording in 4K , it seems to get worst the further the Mavic is from me, as Blunt _Blunt said I think I have reached the cameras limit I knocked down my video recording to 2.7K and all is good I hope your problem is the same as I had I hate the thought of RMA-ing and 3 plus weeks to fix a camera issue   
2017-4-14
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

I would appreciate it if you folks would take a look at my test video.  It was recorded at 3840x2160 29fps.  On my screen, the stuttering is very bad.  The jerky motion while panning.  Can you see it or is it just my monitor?

I appreciate your input!

2017-4-17
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

EastyT Posted at 2017-4-17 06:47
I would appreciate it if you folks would take a look at my test video.  It was recorded at 3840x2160 29fps.  On my screen, the stuttering is very bad.  The jerky motion while panning.  Can you see it or is it just my monitor?
Panning test video

Your video is set on private. EasyT look at this video I did in premiere. http://bit.ly/2nPBUZV

You'll see bill clinton run across the bottom. That's a simple point a to point b over time, there should be no stuttering because the image is static. Good test to see if it's your monitor or not. If you see stutter 3 to 4 times as he runs across (to epsteins island), it's the monitor. I put him in cause was having the same issue with my 60,61hz 4k monitors.
2017-4-17
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-14 17:04
Jpap81,
I see what your talking about , I wouldn't call it a flicker -- it doesn't seem to be the whole picture either
it's happening so quick it looks like the trees go out of focus and then come back and I only see it in the left center to two thirds of the way down the frame of your first Video --- I'm an amateur photographer with a lot to learn --- I have some what of the same that happens to me while recording in 4K , it seems to get worst the further the Mavic is from me, as Blunt _Blunt said I think I have reached the cameras limit I knocked down my video recording to 2.7K and all is good I hope your problem is the same as I had I hate the thought of RMA-ing and 3 plus weeks to fix a camera issue

Hey Skunk, I'll look at 4k footage if upload a sample. Have the setup, might as well.
2017-4-17
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-17 08:11
Your video is set on private. EasyT look at this video I did in premiere. http://bit.ly/2nPBUZV

You'll see bill clinton run across the bottom. That's a simple point a to point b over time, there should be no stuttering because the image is static. Good test to see if it's your monitor or not. If you see stutter 3 to 4 times as he runs across (to epsteins island), it's the monitor. I put him in cause was having the same issue with my 60,61hz 4k monitors.

thehippoz, Sorry about the private video, the link should work now.  It looks worst on my monitor at full screen.

2017-4-17
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

EastyT Posted at 2017-4-17 08:34
thehippoz, Sorry about the private video, the link should work now:

Panning test video

It's good. That's a result of really high shutter speed. What happens is the image is so sharp at those speeds there's no motion blur and your eye perceives yaw that way. You can use nd filters to slow it down, or manually slow it down. Good news is no jello effect going on that I can see.

Should say, the slower shutter will blur the subject in motion because it's open longer during a yaw or any type of motion really. At high speed, the image stays sharp. It's all about fooling the eye. Think of it like a ladyboy, you need slow shutter for catfishing, fast shutter and you are arnold swartzenegger with lipstick.
2017-4-17
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-17 08:41
It's good. That's a result of really high shutter speed. What happens is the image is so sharp at those speeds there's no motion blur and your eye perceives yaw that way. You can use nd filters to slow it down, or manually slow it down. Good news is no jello effect going on that I can see.

Should say, the slower shutter will blur the subject in motion because it's open longer during a yaw or any type of motion really. At high speed, the image stays sharp. It's all about fooling the eye. Think of it like a ladyboy, you need slow shutter for catfishing, fast shutter and you are arnold swartzenegger with lipstick.

Thanks for taking a look, my video looks horrible on my screen at full screen.  I looked at your video and Bill Clinton and he jumps/ratchets across the screen.  I wouldn't have been able to tell it was Clinton if you hadn't told me.  My monitor only slows to 50Hz and is set to 60Hz now.
2017-4-17
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

EastyT Posted at 2017-4-17 09:00
Thanks for taking a look, my video looks horrible on my screen at full screen.  I looked at your video and Bill Clinton and he jumps/ratchets across the screen.  I wouldn't have been able to tell it was Clinton if you hadn't told me.  My monitor only slows to 50Hz and is set to 60Hz now.

Yeah it's one of his better pictures.

On amd, you can set custom resolutions in the radeon settings under display. I haven't run nvidia in a long time, but I'm pretty sure Huang would have that in the driver too. Maybe someone could help with that. I'm all amd over here.
2017-4-17
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-17 08:25
Hey Skunk, I'll look at 4k footage if upload a sample. Have the setup, might as well.

thehippoz,
               Thank you , I'll take you up on that offer, going out flying today I'll make a short clip in 4K
for you to check out ---- Thanks
2017-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules