My Drone Drowned - My Bad - Next Steps?
2617 11 2017-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jsantacroce
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10036 ft
United States

The circumstances are a bit embarrassing. I'll sum it up with I zigged when I should have zagged. Either way, my bad. I recovered it (in 5 feet of water and getting absolutely soaked). But I am concerned about next steps.

- I pulled the battery which was still on and it appeared to be dry inside but I would assume water got in it
- The battery wouldn't shut off to begin with. Now only the green ring around the power button lights up but I did not put it back on a charge
- I have the drone in my furnace room which is very warm and with a fan blowing on it to dry it out. I've rotated it multiple times to get any water out
- Other than a bust prop there is no physical damage on the outside

So should I even try putting a fresh battery in it and firing it up? Should I send it in for service and if so any recommendations? Is it hosed (pun intended)?

It was a little cloudy out before this happened. Right afterward while driving home the sun came out and the skies cleared up. Go Figure.

Happy Friday.

Thanks
2017-4-14
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

In these cases, what appears to be the most crazy way usually is effective (according to stories I've read and youtube videos); put your drone in a bag of rice for a couple of days. Humidity is a !@*#(# and this will probably take care of it more than your furnace room. Just make sure the rice doesn't really get trapped anywhere it shouldn't (in the motors etc.)

Other than that, you're lucky you could retrieve it. It's too bad though that DJI forces its clients to do dangerous stunts (get into a river etc.) just because there is this pretty absurd condition in DJI Care Refresh of bringing your old one back.
2017-4-14
Use props
Speedbird1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 218337 ft
United Kingdom

You could be describing exactly what happened to me. First DO NOT use rice to absorb moisture, it gets into everything and is more trouble to remove it. Take the bird apart (youtube) and sit with a hair drier on gentle setting for a while blowing all over.

How long it was in water will decide the battery, mine was only 20 seconds or so when i removed it. Yes i'm still using it after it was tested.

What caused my catastrophic failure was i removed the prop guards when opening her up (didn't actually need to) then used the same screws to bolt the motors back in place, but the bolts from holding guards on are longer than originals so screwed right into the motors so it was then stuffed

A great guy here in the UK sorted me out with a new bird from DJI whilst buying from me the bits that were ok for repair jobs and the like.

Hope this helps. Please don't use rice.

Mike
2017-4-14
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

Speedbird1 Posted at 2017-4-14 07:02
You could be describing exactly what happened to me. First DO NOT use rice to absorb moisture, it gets into everything and is more trouble to remove it. Take the bird apart (youtube) and sit with a hair drier on gentle setting for a while blowing all over.

How long it was in water will decide the battery, mine was only 20 seconds or so when i removed it. Yes i'm still using it after it was tested.

Hehe, my point, when you use rice you should make sure it won't get where it shouldn't. There are a lot of ways to do so, including:

1. Mosquito nets (nothing can fit through so tiny holes, except maybe rice powder)
2. To avoid that powder, you don't have to literally 'bury' your bird in the rice, even by placing it on the surface of the rice in a closed environment would start sucking moisture.
2017-4-14
Use props
jsantacroce\
lvl.3
United States

I took it partially apart. I then ran a blow dryer through it for about an hour.

I went for it and put a battery in and fired it up. Gave a problem with "cannot detect camera lens". Even though I had the cap off I still see some condensation in the camera now. So I'm thinking best to just send it out and have it fixed and gone over.

Repair recommendations? Anyone use Dronenerds? I'm in New York. Nerds says at least two week turnaround
2017-4-14
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sorry to hear about that.
We cannot guarantee the performance since it water damaged, may I know have your purchased DJI Care Refresh? it covers water damage, since you recovered, you can get a replacement with DJI Care Refresh service.
2017-4-15
Use props
jsantacroce
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-4-15 02:10
We cannot guarantee the performance since it water damaged, may I know have your purchased DJI Care Refresh? it covers water damage, since you recovered, you can get a replacement with DJI Care Refresh service.

I did not purchase DJI Care. Only because it was given to me as a gift a few months ago and I did not know that it existed. I know it's out of my pocket whatever the repairs or replacement cost. Is what it is. Thanks.
2017-4-15
Use props
Rabe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 967907 ft
Germany

Hello,
when I drownd my drone, I blew out the water withe compressed air and waited several day to let it dry in an warm room. After that, it worked as fine as before.
Most time took to wait, until the water left the optic of the camera.

JAfter drying just  try all funktionmalitys with a fresh accu, (for safty without props).
When it works, OK, when not its time for repair.
I hpe the best for you

2017-4-15
Use props
jsantacroce
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-4-15 02:10

Hi Natalia,

First off thank you for your assistance in this ongoing matter. I spoke with technical support today and we are trying to work something out.

Going back through prior emails this stuck in my head that if I had DJI Care Refresh Service, even though my fault, I could have gotten a replacement. I am considering DJI Care Refresh for the replacement and in reading through the FAQ page I see the followingas not being covered:

"4)        Any repair fees resulting from or following water damage. "

Am I not understanding something (again, yet, as usual?)

Thanks again!
2017-5-9
Use props
Brian Liem
lvl.2
Flight distance : 882113 ft
United States

Fresh water or salt water? It makes all the difference in the world as far as being able to save it by drying it out. If it's salt water you might as well buy a new drone. The motors and shell can be saved, but the electronics would most likely be fried. Good luck and sorry to hear your misfortune.
2017-5-9
Use props
jsantacroce
lvl.3
United States

Brian Liem Posted at 2017-5-9 15:15
Fresh water or salt water? It makes all the difference in the world as far as being able to save it by drying it out. If it's salt water you might as well buy a new drone. The motors and shell can be saved, but the electronics would most likely be fried. Good luck and sorry to hear your misfortune.

Thanks. It was fresh water but already to two separate repair shops and both have reported it is toast. It was 100% my fault but I am just trying to get confirmed information before I replace it.

- DJI confirmed for me today that the replacement (I did not have DJI Care Refresh so I would pay for the Refurbished replacement) would be covered both under a New Factory Warranty but would also be eligible for DJI Care Refresh but I would have to submit the Video Confirmation which seems a little stupid to me being they are sending it to me but I can live with that.

- But the real question is in the discussion above it was stated that DJI Care Refresh DOES cover water damage. However, their FAQs on their website state they do not. This is important to me as I do a lot of flying over water and if that automatically negates any warranty that is a problem for me. Either way I just want to know the confirmed answer so I can make a decision as to whether to accept the refurbished unit or buy a new one.

Thank you
2017-5-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

jsantacroce@hvc Posted at 2017-5-9 14:56
Hi Natalia,

First off thank you for your assistance in this ongoing matter. I spoke with technical support today and we are trying to work something out.

You read the info for DJI care but not DJI Care Refresh.
Please check it here: http://www.dji.com/service/djicare-refresh/info#s4
Refresh.png
2017-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules