Why do I have laggy/choppy video stream?
2027 12 2017-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wazcov
New
United Kingdom

Had the drone about a month and a half, flown it maybe 10 times already.

I've started to see the video stream be really laggy (looking on computer after, it's fine), so much so that I can hardly control it because I only see what's happpening about 3 seconds after... in fact this caused me to get stuck into a tree which required a ladder to get out!

I've tried doing some tests to help diagnose the problem. I flew it around a castle and only a couple hundred feet away, with line of sight it was laggy as hell. (See the video here: )

I then flew it in the fields near my house, and flying closer to the buildings (around 100m away), lag was terrible and choppy. Then i flew it the opposite direction, where it's just fields and it got to max distance (500m) and 60m up, with no lag whatsoever. However, I then started video recording and the lag was back.

So could this either be interferance or a problem with recording at the same time as streaming?

Equipment: P3S, Huawei P9 (android)

Thanks in advance

2017-4-15
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

When did you start having trouble? You crashed into a tree not long ago.  
2017-4-15
Use props
wazcov
New
United Kingdom

Betamace Posted at 2017-4-15 09:58
When did you start having trouble? You crashed into a tree not long ago.

Ha fair point. It was the laggyness that caused me to crash into a tree!

It started around a week ago, so a month after first use.
2017-4-15
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
United States

Roll back to an earlier go app version. And force stop any apps on your phone.
2017-4-15
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
United States

Started a  week ago? Your crash video was published 12 days ago.
2017-4-15
Use props
wazcov
New
United Kingdom

Betamace Posted at 2017-4-15 11:06
Started a  week ago? Your crash video was published 12 days ago.

Okay, 2 weeks ago. Point is, it was the day of the crash that it first started.
2017-4-16
Use props
wazcov
New
United Kingdom

Betamace Posted at 2017-4-15 11:03
Roll back to an earlier go app version. And force stop any apps on your phone.

Is that even possible on Android?
2017-4-16
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Could be your cache. Most recommend deleting the phone/tablet cache periodically.
2017-4-16
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
United States

wazcov Posted at 2017-4-16 03:27
Is that even possible on Android?

Yes. Phantom Help.com has sideloads of previous go apps.

I watched your crash video, you crab walked into the tree. Was the drone not responding to the remote's stick command?

While increased video lag has been reported by a few people that are using the latest go app version, a 2-3 second lag is indicative of the remote device not processing the video download data. I suspect either the app is your problem or the remote device is too busy doing other things.

Phantom Help also has a tutorial for fixing  lag by changing android settings.   
2017-4-16
Use props
wazcov
New
United Kingdom

Betamace Posted at 2017-4-16 06:03
Yes. Phantom Help.com has sideloads of previous go apps.

I watched your crash video, you crab walked into the tree. Was the drone not responding to the remote's stick command?

Thnaks for your advice! I've been clearing the cache and even turned off caching.

I'll try that site for downloading an older version of the app! My device is a fairly high end Android device, but I'll also try and find someone with an iPhone to test it.

Yeah with the video, I did crab walk, but I knew the trees were there, it was a case of I saw what i thought was the correct distance, so then started moving away but by the time the laggy video returned, it was still going towards the tree and crashed
2017-4-16
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
United States

wazcov Posted at 2017-4-16 06:15
Thnaks for your advice! I've been clearing the cache and even turned off caching.

I'll try that site for downloading an older version of the app! My device is a fairly high end Android device, but I'll also try and find someone with an iPhone to test it.
but by the time the laggy video returned, it was still going towards the tree and crashed

When in doubt....GO UP FAST!
2017-4-16
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

wazcov Posted at 2017-4-16 06:15

Try clearing the cache of the phone itself, not just the video cache.
2017-4-16
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

stuka75 Posted at 2017-4-16 05:45
Could be your cache. Most recommend deleting the phone/tablet cache periodically.

on all devices you can enable the auto clean cache if you have enabled the cache. You can disable the cache then you don´t need to clear the cache.
2017-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules