Jerky, stuttering video. Phone recording audio.
2398 21 2017-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Crackadona
New
United States

I love my Mavic and have done around 12 flights to this point. During the last four flights or so I have noticed that the video quality has become jerky and stuttering where before it was smooth. I have not changed any setting other than to take the mavic off beginer mode and change the range. Also around the time that I noticed the video quality degrade my samsung note five started to record sound on the videos. Im very cunfused by this having not altered any AV settings. Please help.
2017-4-15
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

About Jerky and quality video, need to post a video so we can see what are you talking about.

In the regards to the records of sound the new update allows you to record the sound why flying. In the phone setting under the GO4 app DO NOT ALLOW ACCESS TO PHONE SPEAKER and the issue will be solved.
2017-4-15
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Audio recording of cached downlink video was a feature introduced a couple firmware and/or app versions ago. I guess your phone might conceivably be overtaxed by the burden of capturing and processing both video and audio now, where before it just had to deal with video, let us know if turning audio off makes for better downlink video -- the full-res video stored on your MicroSD card should be unaffected in any event.
2017-4-15
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Japan

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-15 20:30
Audio recording of cached downlink video was a feature introduced a couple firmware and/or app versions ago. I guess your phone might conceivably be overtaxed by the burden of capturing and processing both video and audio now, where before it just had to deal with video, let us know if turning audio off makes for better downlink video -- the full-res video stored on your MicroSD card should be unaffected in any event.

No, actually it was only added in this latest 4.06 Android DJIGo release, I believe. It has been around for a while in IOS though.

I have a Samsung S7 edge which is a powerful phone and my streaming video was for the first ever choppy and this coincided with  the first time I have ever had phone audio appending to the  video cache.
I have gone into DJIGo4, general settings and un-checked "Record Audio with Video Cache" . Have not had a chance to re test but am almost certain this will fix it.  As OP is also using Android I recommend you do the same and it should fix the choppiness.
2017-4-16
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Logger Posted at 2017-4-16 04:58
No, actually it was only added in this latest 4.06 Android DJIGo release, I believe. It has been around for a while in IOS though.

Yup, added to v4.0.5 in iOS, we're at v4.0.7 now. I haven't noticed an impact on downlink video on my iPhone 7 or heard of any issues on iOS, but there may be hardware-assisted compression on these phones that make adding the audio easy by offloading the task from the main CPU.

Might also be a cache thing if you've disabled the video cache.
2017-4-16
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Try mobizen (paid version) on android, there's no lag. Can mix in audio with drone footage later in post.
2017-4-16
Use props
michaeldk
lvl.1
Cyprus

I also have stuttering video - but I only purchased this drone 1.5 days ago. So this is all I know - that shots done on tripod or cinema mode show microstutters, major stutters, 'unstableness' when doing simple and calm panning. It's not what I witness online with earlier mavic footage. And I noticed a few other people have opened up stuttering video-topics as well recently. Could the latest firmware have changed things?
2017-4-16
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-16 08:34
Yup, added to v4.0.5 in iOS, we're at v4.0.7 now. I haven't noticed an impact on downlink video on my iPhone 7 or heard of any issues on iOS, but there may be hardware-assisted compression on these phones that make adding the audio easy by offloading the task from the main CPU.

Might also be a cache thing if you've disabled the video cache.

Yep been around for a while on IOS but brand new to Android where the issue occurs. OP is using Android as I am.  I see it on my S7 edge. Disabling audio recording fixes the stuttering issue. No doubt DJI will sort it out but I have no use for the feature.  My phone has an inbuilt screen and audio feature shoud I need one and it works well.

2017-4-17
Use props
laceyboy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

Yep, stuttering is on Android and because of audio recording of video feed. There is no problem with video on SD card in AC.
2017-4-17
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Have this too when I have the audio recording on. Samsung Galaxy S7 on my side, so it should be able to handle it. To be honest, I have just disabled the option, you just hear the noise from the remote fans in the end...
2017-4-17
Use props
michaeldk
lvl.1
Cyprus

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-16 10:02
Try mobizen (paid version) on android, there's no lag. Can mix in audio with drone footage later in post.

A dji representative told me yesterday by phone that the latest firmware has an issue, and hat their engineers are looking at it. He told me to downgrade my firmware to see if that resolved my video issues (similar to yours, just, not calm footage, easily becomes choppy and messy with the slightest of movement, and also weird shadow issues - flickering)
2017-4-18
Use props
FirstFly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 329961 ft
United States

Same problem here since the X.XX.06 update.  Jerky video and shorter range of video signal feed (picture/resolution degrades quicker).  I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus..  The SD card video is unaffected. as expected...  Also, since the caching of audio might be the culprit (I'll test it later), I noticed when I import the SD video into my PC, I don't have the audio.  i thought maybe it was a codec I was missing so I downloaded VLC and it didn't help.  My PC is an i7 with plenty of processing power, so I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this or found a solution.  I googled, but nothing came up.  Thank you.
2017-4-27
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

FirstFly Posted at 2017-4-27 09:04
Same problem here since the X.XX.06 update.  Jerky video and shorter range of video signal feed (picture/resolution degrades quicker).  I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus..  The SD card video is unaffected. as expected...  Also, since the caching of audio might be the culprit (I'll test it later), I noticed when I import the SD video into my PC, I don't have the audio.  i thought maybe it was a codec I was missing so I downloaded VLC and it didn't help.  My PC is an i7 with plenty of processing power, so I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this or found a solution.  I googled, but nothing came up.  Thank you.

The audio is only added to the downlink video. You can lift the audio track from the downlink video and add it to your aircraft's video if you want.
2017-4-27
Use props
FirstFly
lvl.2
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-27 10:11
The audio is only added to the downlink video. You can lift the audio track from the downlink video and add it to your aircraft's video if you want.

Yes. I figured it out shortly after posting.  DUH!  Brain fart...  Thank you.
2017-5-1
Use props
FirstFly
lvl.2
United States

Was there ever any definite answer about the jerky video?  I turned of audio cache, but still have jerky and pixelated streaming video.  Yes, the SD card is fine..  I'm guessing it's a processing issue.  I have an iPhone 6-Plus - a couple of generation old by now.  If I remember correctly, the 6s was advertised as having twice the processing power of the 6, then the 7 came along, so my old 6 might not have all the power the app is designed for...  Anyway, anyone out there with an iPhone 6-Plus having video streaming issues (or not)?  I'd love to know.  Thanks Again..
2017-6-2
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

FirstFly Posted at 2017-6-2 06:00
Was there ever any definite answer about the jerky video?  I turned of audio cache, but still have jerky and pixelated streaming video.  Yes, the SD card is fine..  I'm guessing it's a processing issue.  I have an iPhone 6-Plus - a couple of generation old by now.  If I remember correctly, the 6s was advertised as having twice the processing power of the 6, then the 7 came along, so my old 6 might not have all the power the app is designed for...  Anyway, anyone out there with an iPhone 6-Plus having video streaming issues (or not)?  I'd love to know.  Thanks Again..

I would expect a 6+ to have enough processing power to handle audio recording, which is a low-lift for iOS devices. For jerky video I'd ensure you have the video cache enabled and set to the default (2GB), that you have plenty of free storage space on your phone, and that you try Normal Downlink video if you are currently using HD. Might also be a good idea to close any open apps and reboot the phone before your next test so all its resources are available to Go 4. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
2017-6-2
Use props
FirstFly
lvl.2
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-2 06:21
I would expect a 6+ to have enough processing power to handle audio recording, which is a low-lift for iOS devices. For jerky video I'd ensure you have the video cache enabled and set to the default (2GB), that you have plenty of free storage space on your phone, and that you try Normal Downlink video if you are currently using HD. Might also be a good idea to close any open apps and reboot the phone before your next test so all its resources are available to Go 4. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I turned off audio. Closed apps. Turned off wifi and bluetooth. 128gig phone with 40% free. Cache set to the max (I can't remember what that is off the top of my head)..  Trying to say I've done all these things..
2017-6-2
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

FirstFly Posted at 2017-6-2 11:27
I turned off audio. Closed apps. Turned off wifi and bluetooth. 128gig phone with 40% free. Cache set to the max (I can't remember what that is off the top of my head)..  Trying to say I've done all these things..

The big item is the Downlink video being set to Normal rather than HD, requires both less bandwidth and processor cycles to decode.
2017-6-2
Use props
dorbot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 844770 ft
France

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-2 12:28
The big item is the Downlink video being set to Normal rather than HD, requires both less bandwidth and processor cycles to decode.

Reducing quality is not really a solution.....

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this ? Thread is quite old now but no definitive answers...
2017-11-22
Use props
Itsfaultyagain!
Ban Posts
Flight distance : 780285 ft
South Africa

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-11-22
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

dorbot Posted at 2017-11-22 07:40

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this ? Thread is quite old now but no definitive answers...

We're talking about the downlink video here, I doubt you could tell a difference on a phone screen. Might be noticeable on a tablet, though.
2017-11-22
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

dorbot Posted at 2017-11-22 07:40

Was testing this on old Samsung J5 and it is ok like this.

2017-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules