Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Suitable for a Wilderness search tool?
780 15 2017-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lukenc
lvl.1
United States

Hi - I work with a technical rescue team and we are considering purchasing a Phantom 4 Pro.  I have a question for some of the more experienced owners on the forum.

Do you think the pro would work as a tool to clear open search areas?  It would be attached to a monitor (albeit at 720p since that's all the live stream transmits).  The Pro would be flow in a pattern with people watching a monitor plugged in via the HDMI adapter.  Would the live video feed (NOT the 4k recorded video) be sharp enough for ground object isolation?  I realize that speed and height are major factors, but the live video I've seen from other drones is less than impressive.  Obviously, you can get crystal clear hi-def video from the more expensive devices, but I can't justify the cost versus benefit.

Thanks in advance for your experience and knowledge.

2017-4-16
Use props
Zamboon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
Zambia

Hi Luke, yes brilliantly but if you buy the P4P you will have to fit the HDMI module bought separately so as to have HDMI output from your RC, last I heard there were a few bugs with it. The P4P+ RC has HDMI already installed.
2017-4-16
Use props
Lukenc
lvl.1
United States

Zamboon Posted at 2017-4-16 10:15
Hi Luke, yes brilliantly but if you buy the P4P you will have to fit the HDMI module bought separately so as to have HDMI output from your RC, last I heard there were a few bugs with it. The P4P+ RC has HDMI already installed.

So... the HDMI adapter is $100 and the upgrade to P4+ is $300.  Is the Pro+ screen $200 brighter than, say, an ipad mini 4?
2017-4-16
Use props
SM-17
Captain
Flight distance : 179288 ft
Netherlands

It's not worthed the 200,app still crashes, app is 2 versions behind the android version (the plus is based on android 5.1.1), you cannot install 3rd party apps but yes, the screen is brighter than any mobile phone/tablet on the market
2017-4-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

This I know may not be looking for, but if your looking for a program for searching, I can recommend this one , I have been with these guys for two weeks and this program is incredible.

2017-4-16
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Does the output from the plus controller run at 1080?
2017-4-16
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Lukenc Posted at 2017-4-16 10:55
So... the HDMI adapter is $100 and the upgrade to P4+ is $300.  Is the Pro+ screen $200 brighter than, say, an ipad mini 4?

It is worth the buck, especially if you will be using it in the hot sun. I have P4P and P4P+.
I use the MINI4 with the P4P but it doesn't even come close when comparing with the P4P+ bright screen.

Just keep in mind that you can't use 3RD party software with the P4P+.

Let us know and post some footage.
2017-4-16
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You'll have to factor in the very wideangle lens which means you won't see a lot of detail unless you get close.
If you are looking for a black object in snow, that won't be a problem but if you're looking for someone in a bushy background it might not be easy.
2017-4-16
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Best results are had when the object being searched for is moving.  A stationary object, especially one that has similar coloring to the terrain, can be very difficult to see.  A thermal imaging camera can be a big help.
2017-4-16
Use props
Lukenc
lvl.1
United States

What about hardware?  If I purchase the HDMI output module, I assume that I can hook up an external monitor via the HDMI port.  Can I still have a Iphone or android device on the controller so the operator can also see what the drone is seeing?  How does the Controller communicate to the viewing device - WiFi, BT, or cable?)

Another question - Has anyone tried using an Android device for the Controller screen and then using the HDMI output on the Android device to drive an external monitor?  Would you need the HDMI Module in that case (if it works).  Ideally, you could drive something wirelessly (e.g. Chromecast), but I haven't found posts where someone did it...

Thanks again,

Luke
2017-4-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

The P4P has a great camera on it, but may not be the best tool for SAR. DJI did come out with the M200/210, which are more geared for SAR by being more weather resistant and better with less than ideal winds when compared to the P4P. Those rigs can use cameras like the Z30, which has a 30x optical zoom and a 6x digital zoom, and the XT for infared.

http://www.dji.com/matrice-200-series

2017-4-17
Use props
Lukenc
lvl.1
United States

Sorry, but I'm betting the Matrice is well out of the financial reach of my Volunteer department - $5k or closer to $10k?
2017-4-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Lukenc Posted at 2017-4-17 09:38
Sorry, but I'm betting the Matrice is well out of the financial reach of my Volunteer department - $5k or closer to $10k?

That, unfortunately, I wouldn't know. The pricing for the industrial units are handled through the Enterprise team. They do have cost assistance programs as well, it does not hurt to ask:

http://store.dji.com/enterprise-purchase

2017-4-17
Use props
sky wombat
Captain
Flight distance : 1443894 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Lukenc Posted at 2017-4-17 09:38

Luke: Look for Govt, organisation & private grants for funding. You may be surprised just what is out there.
2017-4-17
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Lukenc Posted at 2017-4-17 07:46
What about hardware?  If I purchase the HDMI output module, I assume that I can hook up an external monitor via the HDMI port.  Can I still have a Iphone or android device on the controller so the operator can also see what the drone is seeing?  How does the Controller communicate to the viewing device - WiFi, BT, or cable?)

Another question - Has anyone tried using an Android device for the Controller screen and then using the HDMI output on the Android device to drive an external monitor?  Would you need the HDMI Module in that case (if it works).  Ideally, you could drive something wirelessly (e.g. Chromecast), but I haven't found posts where someone did it...

Yes, I have done both.  Works fine.  Even if you use the hdmi port for goggles.  Using chromecast or similar introduces a bit of latency, so is less desireable.
2017-4-17
Use props
Heir InVioLable
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can tell you first hand, go with the Phantom4Pro+.  I have connected this to a LiveU units of all sizes (afforadble one - http://gosolo.tv) as well as to larger monitors for Search and Rescue.  It's really important to either have a lot of eyes on the area (when a liveU is handy) or a large monitor on site.  I'm not promoting anything,  there are plenty of tools like the liveU,  however it would give you the ability to isoloate areas through numerous eyes.    I also really like combining this with the SAR and Thermal imaging technologies.   Good Luck
2017-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules