Camera resets during filming, Gimbal tumbles.
3632 21 2017-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
theimpatrickt
lvl.1
Canada

Hey guys - Just got my Mavic Pro 3 days ago - All updated firmware, running on an iPhone 7 Plus.

Flights seem fine, no errors or warnings but when I begin filmining, after about 30-40 seconds the autofocus will reset (goes completely blurry) then the gimbal goes all wonky, when you're watching the live view it looks like the drone is tumbling. When it finally gets back to level all of the camera settings reset and it switches to photo mode.

I have run gimbal calibatration, IMU calibration, tried a new SD card and also formatting the SD cards. I've tried every video format and resolution and it's the same thing. I have also noticed on a few occations when it wigs out it will switch to ATTI mode and then switch back when the camera resets. Not sure if this is related but it seems like more than a coincidence.

I can't show footage as the recording stops before the gimbal and autofocus all go out of wack. So the footage appears fine it's just cut short without me having hit stop. I have also tried manual focus and the issue is still present. Another odd thing is that when the camera resets and the gimbal rests again the entire drone rotates about 1-2 degrees to the right - like a minor jerk rotation. So odd.

Has anyone experienced this? or have any tips to hopefully remedy myself?

2017-4-16
Use props
paul220
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2024291 ft
United States

Probably unrelated, but When I turn on my P3Std instead of it roatating as it normally does, it does a crazy random rotation and crashed in to it;s limits. Then when flying the Gimbal seems to randomly turn off and look weirdly down then turn on again, and on one occasion it did the crazy movement while flying and I lost cideo signal, similar to what you described. At least the Drone kept flying OK. I sent a message to DJI support asking for feedback.
2017-4-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please use a screen recording app to make a short video of this issue?
2017-4-17
Use props
fans4d3d19a4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 577241 ft
United Kingdom

I get the same issue. I managed to capture a bit of it on the phone cache, will post back later. It doesn't capture all of it though and the recording stops. This happens on 4k and 2.7k have not tried it on 1080p yet.

I feel your frustration. When it happened to me the first few times i thought the drone and suddenly decide to tumble out of the sky.
2017-4-18
Use props
CynicalZombie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 179813 ft
United States

I had this happen to me once, the 2nd flight after the most recent firmware update.  I too thought the drone decided to tumble out of the sky based on the camera view on my iPhone.  I looked up and my Mavic was exactly where it should have been.  It also stopped recording by itself immediately before the incident.  I'm like 6 flights past it now and the issue hasn't reoccurred. (thankfully)
2017-4-18
Use props
fansaba30984
lvl.1
Flight distance : 635814 ft
Brazil

I'm having exactly the same issue, the camera reset and restart almost every time I hit record. Did all calibrations many times and nothing seems solve the problem. The drone flyies perfectly, the horizon is fixed this instar only issue it has but it sucks. What I learned about it is that the  configurations reset to the same config it was when the mavic was turned on, so I turn it on make all camera adjustments then I restart the mavic, this way when the camera restart by it self when recording it goes back to the same configuration. I'd like return it but it's kind dificult for me because I'm foreign.
2017-4-26
Use props
fansaba30984
lvl.1
Flight distance : 635814 ft
Brazil

here is a video of the problem, I recorded the screen with litchi but it is exactly the same with Djigo4file:///Users/edicao/Downloads/2017-04-27-VIDEO-00001825_1.mp4.zip
2017-4-27
Use props
section525
New
Flight distance : 39419 ft
United States

Any resolution here?  I am having the exact same problem.  Gimbal twitch, camera settings reset, and a 1 to 2 degree rotation of the drone.  Several times per flight.  Thanks.
2017-6-27
Use props
Eagle-i-AL
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3572106 ft
United States

Exact same issue here. 132 flights no issues and was on .500 up until yesterday when upgraded to 900. Flight 133 today and gimbal/camera started rolling and stopped recording prior to event.
2017-6-29
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

Happened to me a couple of times too. Obviously a common problem. Needs resolving rather than token automated responses
2017-6-29
Use props
4Ti5rOPCb1rk
lvl.1
Canada

I also experienced the same thing for two consecutive flights now. It did not happen to me before and so I'm suspecting it's a firmware issue. I hope this issue will be addresses sooner than later. It's quite scary and at the same time disappointing when this happen.
2017-7-4
Use props
fans4e6994d2
New

Norway

I've had my Mavic for a week now and have done about 5 flights. This has happened to me a few times. It's really scary because you're looking at the iPhone screen and then everything goes sideways as if you're crashing.  I see tons of people reporting this issue but nothing about a fix. Do I just return it to DJI?
2017-7-13
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Same problem for me, happened 3 times for a month
Hera is the cache from my tablet as dron stops immediately  recording on SD card
2017-7-13
Use props
AnthonyPowers
lvl.1
United States

Having the exact same problem in every flight and while walking around carrying the mavic recording using WiFi. This is beyond frustrating that the camera is basically unusable considering the price. I've also tried all of the same things as OP with the same results. I guessing we all have to wait for DJI to address the issue in the next firmware update?
2017-7-13
Use props
georgebguedes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1097188 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Hey guys, I am facing the exactly same issue! When I am on the air the video recording suddenly stops, then the gimbal calibrate itself. Then I can press record button again and all works but this video recording stopping thing is really bothering me.

Does anyone has a clue of what should be the problem? Maybe a software issue?
2017-7-22
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

Yeah, it's a problem.  It's been a problem.

As far as we know, there is no resolution.

Hell, we aren't even sure if anyone is working on fixing it.
2017-7-22
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

georgebguedes Posted at 2017-7-22 11:35
Hey guys, I am facing the exactly same issue! When I am on the air the video recording suddenly stops, then the gimbal calibrate itself. Then I can press record button again and all works but this video recording stopping thing is really bothering me.

Does anyone has a clue of what should be the problem? Maybe a software issue?

This is particularly fun with the goggles, as it makes you want to vomit & is very unsettling.  I mean, it feels like it is made in China or something.
2017-7-22
Use props
artingerbill
lvl.1
Flight distance : 471601 ft
United States

same issue here unfortunately

I somehow attribute it to heat in my mind. Anyone else flying when its 90+ F or 32+ C?

2017-7-23
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

There are countless threads on this issue, and it seems to be a problem with the transition between consecutive video files while recording.  In other words, when the recording on the microSD in the Mavic body hits that magic 4GB limit (which is it's own mystery for those microSD cards formatted to exFAT by the Mavic itself), either on the first or the second file transition, the gimbal gets erratic and there doesn't seem to be a way to resolve it without landing the craft.  The biggest issue is that this is a software/hardware problem introduced by DJI themselves, and it's conceivable that it could cause a loss of aircraft - and that's a real problem for their customer base.

As a workaround, the pilot could determine how much time it takes to hit the 4GB file size limit (again, a mystery as to why this file size limit exists for exFAT formated microSD cards) for the respective recording resolution, and manually stop/start recording while in flight to break up the video file.  This is a hack/workaround by the user - not to be confused with a resolution that should be provided by the manufacturer.

DJI, are you listening yet?
2017-7-23
Use props
artingerbill
lvl.1
Flight distance : 471601 ft
United States

I notice the recordings I have (that are affected) have a date on the SD care of 12/31/2013
2017-7-23
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

I experience this error once.

It happened on my second day of flying. I was 120m up and 800m away when the camera abruptly turned left, made a few wild moves, went black a couple of times and then re-centered unfocused.
My first thought was that a bird attacked the drone and it was dropping from the sky. Telemetics on the RC were saying, though, that it was still at the same altitude, so I let go of the sticks to hover. Tried "tap to focus", which failed - camera would not bring the image into focus. Deeming the situation unsafe, I initiated RTH. Camera started working fine only after I shut the drone off and turned it back on on the ground.

What stopped me from panicking was that I saw the same behaviour on the ground when I switched the camera from NTSC to PAL before the first flight: the app warned me that it was going to reboot the camera module for the changes to take effect. During that controlled reboot the camera was doing exactly the same thing as what it did on its own in the air.
2017-7-24
Use props
elctrc.campfire
New
United States

Same story here. Camera cut off each time but I did find an occurrence where it seemed to stay on. You can see in the video the rotational jerk and then rotating too high (there's a setting to allow this but I didn't have that set so the camera shouldn't have gone above level). You can also see me hit the throttle initially because i thought it was tumbling. This is a Phantom 3 Standard on the latest firmware as of two weeks ago and this has never happened- and only happened once. Any updates on this issue?
2017-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules