Very disappointed. Cracks after 3 flights
2313 30 2017-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kangaroox
lvl.1
Flight distance : 114803 ft
Netherlands

Hi to all. This is my first post. I'm sorry it is not a happy one.

I  received my Phantom 3 Advanced last thursday and I made 3 flights in  the Beginners mode sofar which was big fun. After the last flight I  noticed severe cracks in one arm and a light crack in another arm. I did  not crash nor did rough landings so I was very surprised. I thought DJI  is the best dronemaker, that's why I bought this drone, but the quality  seems to be very poor or am I just an unlucky person?
I filled in  the form for support, hopefully I'll get a quick reply informing me what  to do. Maybe somebody can tell me if I can stiil fly this drone after  examining this picture.

Arm 1: Severe cracks

Arm 1: Severe cracks

2017-4-16
Use props
fans589cba4b
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12780633 ft
  • >>>
United States

all the phantom 3' eventually crack. the 4's seem better built but with only 3 flights doesnt sound right. did you tighten the screws?
2017-4-16
Use props
kangaroox
lvl.1
Netherlands

fans589cba4b Posted at 2017-4-16 09:54
all the phantom 3' eventually crack. the 4's seem better built but with only 3 flights doesnt sound right. did you tighten the screws?

Yes I did read a lot about cracks the last hours. If I knew that before (I only saw positive youtube footages) then I did not buy this P3A.

About tightening the screws, is that recommended? I Thought it was a ready-to-fly drone so that's what I did. I checked those screws and I don't have tools for those.

Is it safe to fly more or is better to wait for repair?
2017-4-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do you have vibration? maybe a prop is out of balance?  It seems very odd that you are cracked like this after so few flights! I never had any trouble with my P3P and checked the arms for signs of damage... they always looked good to me.

I would return this to DJI repair and get it fixed under warranty. I would not continue to fly it like this because it will only get worse as time goes on

Rich
2017-4-16
Use props
kangaroox
lvl.1
Netherlands

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-4-16 11:05
Do you have vibration? maybe a prop is out of balance?  It seems very odd that you are cracked like this after so few flights! I never had any trouble with my P3P and checked the arms for signs of damage... they always looked good to me.

I would return this to DJI repair and get it fixed under warranty. I would not continue to fly it like this because it will only get worse as time goes on

I checked the propellors in a little primitive way for unbalance but they look ok, nice in balance.
I sincerely hope I don't have to ship the drone to the States as I live in Holland. Maybe DJI has local repair shops.
2017-4-16
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

No need to send to US:
DJI.jpg
2017-4-16
Use props
kangaroox
lvl.1
Netherlands

DJI Replied already. That feels good
2017-4-16
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

once u get it fixed, get protectors on amazon. There are some specific for this, or you can just buy a set of prop guards, and not use the  guards, but use the mounts to protect the motor mounts. Seems to work well. I assume DJI prop guards would do the same job.. perhaps DJI should INCLUDE prop guards with every drone, just for that reason...
2017-4-16
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sorry you have the crack issue on the new drone, since you've got an reply from our tech support, we will take care of it for you.
We're constantly working to improve so you could have great experience on both products and service, appreciate your feedback.
2017-4-16
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

I came across these recently, they should do a good job of reinforcing the arms.

armprotector.png
2017-4-17
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-4-16 19:41
Sorry you have the crack issue on the new drone, since you've got an reply from our tech support, we will take care of it for you.
We're constantly working to improve so you could have great experience on both products and service, appreciate your feedback.

Just curious Natalia. Are you saying that DJI is trying to improve these shells? Correct me if I am wrong, but I haven't ever seen an updated version released from DJI or anyone for that matter , on the replacement shells for any of the Phantom models, but you clearly state they are "constantly working to improve, both products and service". I know all of the Phantom 3 models are discontinued (Standard & Advanced, P3 4K and I'm sure the P3 Pro won't be long), but those of us that still have them are still dealing with these cracks. I recently replaced shells on 2- Phantom 3 Advanced, that was purchased from DJI, and both are showing small cracks too after only 20-flights.
2017-4-17
Use props
senatorkelley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 450525 ft
United States

endotherm Posted at 2017-4-17 06:15
I came across these recently, they should do a good job of reinforcing the arms.

[view_image]

Thanks, I just purchased some of these off ebay. They also claim to work as a heatsink for the motors transferring the heat via the screws to the plate.
2017-4-17
Use props
kangaroox
lvl.1
Netherlands

Things are going quick sofar. I received the UPS return lable so I can send the package tomorrow. The repair centre seems to be close to where I live so not much of a delay. I hope the repair is quick as well.
Anyway the follow-up by DJI looks great especially concidering it is Eastern time.

Those reinforcing plates look promising by the way. Maybe I'll give it a try.
2017-4-17
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft
United States

No cracks yet on my P3A and I've flown it for 2 years. I bought these after the first month. Easy install and they come with the screws needed. Easy-peasy.
UAVBits link
2017-4-17
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Samer on my advanced with proguard adaptors installed, 1 year, one minor crash, and no cracks.
2017-4-17
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

Can you just return it to where you bought it and exchange it?
2017-4-17
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

This is a huge problem with DJI.
2017-4-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-4-17 09:05
Just curious Natalia. Are you saying that DJI is trying to improve these shells? Correct me if I am wrong, but I haven't ever seen an updated version released from DJI or anyone for that matter , on the replacement shells for any of the Phantom models, but you clearly state they are "constantly working to improve, both products and service". I know all of the Phantom 3 models are discontinued (Standard & Advanced, P3 4K and I'm sure the P3 Pro won't be long), but those of us that still have them are still dealing with these cracks. I recently replaced shells on 2- Phantom 3 Advanced, that was purchased from DJI, and both are showing small cracks too after only 20-flights.

Sorry about the confusion. What I meant was that DJI is constantly learning from past experience and building on its  material research. For example, DJI Mavic Pro has much fewer reports of cracked shells because it used enhanced material.
2017-4-17
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Rnfaust Posted at 2017-4-17 16:38
No cracks yet on my P3A and I've flown it for 2 years. I bought these after the first month. Easy install and they come with the screws needed. Easy-peasy.
UAVBits link

Thanks for that link Rnfaust. I think I'll give those a try. They look better than some others I've seen. I am not an aggressive flyer, but this looks as though these will help. I repair a few of these for friends of mine and it is kind of bad when you charge them for a new shell only to find out after a few flights on some the cracks start showing up again. For the most part everybody does understand, but makes me look bad. LOL I am pretty particular and feel I'm doing a good job for them, but maybe I'll start making these part of the repair for some added insurance. The small cracks don't concern me as far as worrying about things coming apart, it is just a pain to see them surface so quickly sometimes. It is too bad DJI or somebody wouldn't address this, but at this point I'm sure it is too late for that.
2017-4-18
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-4-18 04:12
Thanks for that link Rnfaust. I think I'll give those a try. They look better than some others I've seen. I am not an aggressive flyer, but this looks as though these will help. I repair a few of these for friends of mine and it is kind of bad when you charge them for a new shell only to find out after a few flights on some the cracks start showing up again. For the most part everybody does understand, but makes me look bad. LOL I am pretty particular and feel I'm doing a good job for them, but maybe I'll start making these part of the repair for some added insurance. The small cracks don't concern me as far as worrying about things coming apart, it is just a pain to see them surface so quickly sometimes. It is too bad DJI or somebody wouldn't address this, but at this point I'm sure it is too late for that.

One thing I like about the UAVBits plates is they have molded flanges that go up into the recesses where the original screws seated thus further strengthening the motor mount area and also the 2 screws that hold the shells together. They are flexible enough to contour with the underside of the arms. I don't believe the plates shown in post #10 will reinforce the shell cavities.
How long does it take you on the bench to R&R the shell?

UAVBits

UAVBits

EBAY

EBAY

2017-4-18
Use props
wntmldrs_belgiu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 793281 ft
Belgium

Mine has been repaired by DJI Barendrecht and is crackfree after 1 year and 100dreds of flights. If have have a brittle shell, the tension of the screws will soon or later start to form cracks. If you have protectors on you won't be able to see the start of the cracks until it is too late. A visiting friend from California told me that the first thing they did over there when they start flying with a P2 or P3 was loosening all the screws and fixing them gently with some glue. For them it is the build up tension of the screws that are driven in too tight that causes the cracks, not by any means the flying.
2017-4-18
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

wntmldrs_belgiu Posted at 2017-4-18 07:23
Mine has been repaired by DJI Barendrecht and is crackfree after 1 year and 100dreds of flights. If have have a brittle shell, the tension of the screws will soon or later start to form cracks. If you have protectors on you won't be able to see the start of the cracks until it is too late. A visiting friend from California told me that the first thing they did over there when they start flying with a P2 or P3 was loosening all the screws and fixing them gently with some glue. For them it is the build up tension of the screws that are driven in too tight that causes the cracks, not by any means the flying.

Agreed, some shells never crack, others do, and I doubt flying habits have much to do with it. It might speed up a failure though if your shell is a bad one. The reinforcement plates better distribute the forces of the motors and eliminate the possibility of a motor coming off. You can always look underneath the plates once in awhile to see if all is well.  
2017-4-18
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Rnfaust Posted at 2017-4-18 06:56
One thing I like about the UAVBits plates is they have molded flanges that go up into the recesses where the original screws seated thus further strengthening the motor mount area and also the 2 screws that hold the shells together. They are flexible enough to contour with the underside of the arms. I don't believe the plates shown in post #10 will reinforce the shell cavities.
How long does it take you on the bench to R&R the shell?[view_image][view_image]

I can replace a shell in around 2-3 hours if all goes well. I've done 6 of them though. The more you do it gets a little easier. LOL Yeah I do like the way those have those flanges to wrap around and yes the bosses too look good to me. Thanks again.
2017-4-18
Use props
kangaroox
lvl.1
Netherlands

wntmldrs_belgiu Posted at 2017-4-18 07:23

Mine has been send to Barendrecht as well. How long did it take to get it back?
If yours is still crackfree it looks like they know what they are doing.
2017-4-18
Use props
Speedbird1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 218337 ft
United Kingdom

Rnfaust Posted at 2017-4-18 06:56
How long does it take you on the bench to R&R the shell?[view_image][view_image]

Even with $13 postage to the UK these seem to be a good 'insurance'.
What material is used in their making? and what torque setting should be used when replacing any screws AND is screw lock glue required when re-fitting?
Thank you
2017-4-19
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

I can't answer the material makeup question, except to say they are 3D printed.
I added a small drop of loctite to the 4 screws that go into the metal motor flanges. I added nothing to the plastic to plastic screws. I just evenly tightened them all till they were snug. They have not loosened up.
2017-4-19
Use props
thrash_273
lvl.3
Flight distance : 595561 ft
  • >>>
United States

wow, sorry to see this P3A cracked already. smh- cross fingers- my P3s with almost 19 flights (3hr 22min total flight time) has been spot free so far. cross fingers
2017-4-19
Use props
wntmldrs_belgiu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 793281 ft
Belgium

Loctite eats plastic. Beware. My repair took less than two weeks door to door. But they install the latest firmware, so you'll have to downgrade the remote to 1.6.0.
2017-4-19
Use props
kangaroox
lvl.1
Netherlands

My drone with the cracks has been delivered to DJI last wednesday at 10:05 AM as stated by UPS. Since then the Repair Progress is still on To Be Received!
What is going on. It is making me mad.
2017-4-25
Use props
kangaroox
lvl.1
Netherlands

kangaroox Posted at 2017-4-25 03:28
My drone with the cracks has been delivered to DJI last wednesday at 10:05 AM as stated by UPS. Since then the Repair Progress is still on To Be Received!
What is going on. It is making me mad.

It has been received. I need to be patient.
2017-4-25
Use props
kangaroox
lvl.1
Netherlands

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-4-16 19:41

Ok here is some feedback. The drone is still in the repair centre. The Website stated 1 - 5 days before the the drone will be received which was 9 days (including a weekend) in real life. The next step, Conducting damage assessment should be 1-2 days acc. the website but is 5 days and counting ( incl. weekend). After this 3 more steps have to be taken acc. the website.

The great experience of which you are talking about is still far far away. I hope it will come someday. If you want to improve something I think you can guess what to do.
2017-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules