Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
loses connection @210m distance
1446 32 2017-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Monyx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 152677 ft
Australia

Only obstacle was couple trees, pretty much line of sight yet to my surprise lost connection.  I have synced my flight record to cloud, can DJI analyse those once they're in cloud storage?
2017-4-16
Use props
Bootspike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109281 ft
Australia

Similar occurrence yesterday when the connection was lost. Details were distance was 200 metres, altitude 2 metres, speed was about 4 kph, some shrubs around but maintained VLOS. The machine initiated RTH and fortunately did not rise into nearby timber.  This seems to suggest a loss of signal should result in a hover for ten seconds or so giving a chance for the signal to reconnect prior to initiating a RTH.
My logs are also loaded but I will have a chat with the retailer tomorrow as I also routinely lose video feed to the controller.

While this may sound a little negative, I will persist as the quality and stability of the video from the P4P is what I really need.
2017-4-17
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13925922 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Bootspike Posted at 2017-4-17 00:09
Similar occurrence yesterday when the connection was lost. Details were distance was 200 metres, altitude 2 metres, speed was about 4 kph, some shrubs around but maintained VLOS. The machine initiated RTH and fortunately did not rise into nearby timber.  This seems to suggest a loss of signal should result in a hover for ten seconds or so giving a chance for the signal to reconnect prior to initiating a RTH.
My logs are also loaded but I will have a chat with the retailer tomorrow as I also routinely lose video feed to the controller.

That is a VERY low angle. Did you have your antennas vertical?
2017-4-17
Use props
Bootspike
lvl.3
Australia

Eric13 Posted at 2017-4-17 01:59
That is a VERY low angle. Did you have your antennas vertical?

Yes Eric, the angle is very low, but the antennas were vertical. That is, set at 45 degrees with the controller at 45 degrees. The video link started to break up which is unfortunately fairly common and the the message appeared then appeared that the link was lost.

As I mentioned, the quality of the video was excellent which is why I am using this unit. In this instance, we were following a bush track from a persons perspective and intending to lift over the water of a farm dam to take in the sunset at max altitude. This flexibility is great, but I think this particular unit may have a glitch. The flight time for it is a little over 5 hours and I admit, some learning is still happening. Some further checking is to be done.
2017-4-17
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Look at the following link. Maybe it helps.
I havent' tried it and wouldn't know how to fly with the RC being itself vertical:
http://www.gearbest.com/blog/how ... our-transmitter-809
RC.jpg
2017-4-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Flying that low with signal problems suggests possible fresnel zone complications:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_zone

If so, you could solve the problem with an antenna mast or by switching to horizontal polarity.

2017-4-17
Use props
Bootspike
lvl.3
Australia

Thanks gents, I really appreciate your thoughts. The antenna/ controller position was as per diagram 1 in Eric's link with the antennae vertical. Marks link to the Fresnel effect bears some consideration. When I get some time in an open paddock with no trees, I will try this out.

My greatest concern was the RTH could have easily resulted in an ascent into trees. Although there weren't many, it only takes one. That was the reason for a suggestion that a ten second hover prior to an ascent may have value. Simply allowing some time to regain control could overcome some risk.
2017-4-17
Use props
Monyx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 152677 ft
Australia

Ok...turns out I am an idiot. Some time later as I was packing the controller away I thought to myself 'hmm I don't recall folding up the antennas'...I had them crossed and folded, the 9.7" ipad blocking them from visual check. Note to self: actually conduct methodical pre-flight check from now on. I have learnt from my experience - amuse yourself with the panic in my voice on the cache recording as I experience the joys of new drone ownership LOL.

2017-4-17
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

That's really funny!!
I think most of us went through some stressful situation with the drone.
2017-4-17
Use props
Delta Nine
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Yup sticks down
ure.JPG
2017-4-17
Use props
Bootspike
lvl.3
Australia

Monyx Posted at 2017-4-17 06:45
Ok...turns out I am an idiot. Some time later as I was packing the controller away I thought to myself 'hmm I don't recall folding up the antennas'...I had them crossed and folded, the 9.7" ipad blocking them from visual check. Note to self: actually conduct methodical pre-flight check from now on. I have learnt from my experience - amuse yourself with the panic in my voice on the cache recording as I experience the joys of new drone ownership LOL.
on the cache recording

Fingers crossed, not the antennae! Glad you have sorted it.
2017-4-17
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United States

If you have trees., however sparse between you and the drone, you will get breakup of signal, the antennas vertical is the correct setting only for 5.8 ghz , they should be tilted at 60 degrees towards the drone for 2.4 ghz transmission as per the owners manual states. Circular polarized antennas can give better penetration through trees for signal, as will boosters like the Maxx Uav and Triton.
2017-4-19
Use props
paukstis91
lvl.2
Lithuania

yup. had same situation also, when i lost signal in in 100 metres height, but my drone was only couple meters away when I realized that controller's antennas was crossed. after that mistake never happened again.
2017-4-19
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2017-4-19 03:41
If you have trees., however sparse between you and the drone, you will get breakup of signal, the antennas vertical is the correct setting only for 5.8 ghz , they should be tilted at 60 degrees towards the drone for 2.4 ghz transmission as per the owners manual states. Circular polarized antennas can give better penetration through trees for signal, as will boosters like the Maxx Uav and Triton.

they should be tilted at 60 degrees towards the drone for 2.4 ghz transmission as per the owners manual states.

Could you expound on this please?  I can't find anything in the P4P manual...
2017-4-19
Use props
paukstis91
lvl.2
Lithuania

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-4-19 04:32
they should be tilted at 60 degrees towards the drone for 2.4 ghz transmission as per the owners manual states.

here is explained by dji
2017-4-19
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Thank you.  I was hoping somebody could give me a technical explanation...
2017-4-19
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-4-19 04:32

From the RC section of the P4P manual page 49

from the manual, RC controller section

from the manual, RC controller section
2017-4-19
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Thanks very much.

I'd appreciate a technical explanation for the 2.4 ghz 60 degree tilt ... anybody... ?  
2017-4-19
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-4-19 07:52
Thanks very much.

I'd appreciate a technical explanation for the 2.4 ghz 60 degree tilt ... anybody... ?

Yes please, I do not understand the relation between the frequencies, and the angle of the antennas
2017-4-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-4-19 06:27
Thank you.  I was hoping somebody could give me a technical explanation...

This video should help. While they're omnidirectional antennas, the shape of the antennas have sections that emit a stronger frequency than others. That goes for both the RC and aircraft:

2017-4-19
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-19 08:43
This video should help. While they're omnidirectional antennas, the shape of the antennas have sections that emit a stronger frequency than others. That goes for both the RC and aircraft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7M9JtfVwQE

Thank you, but it says nothing about the frequency difference and the angles of the antennas in the transmitter.
The only relationship that exists between antennas and frequencies is that for a frequency of 2.4 Ghz we need an antenna twice as long ( + or - ) as for a frequency of 5.8 Ghz. Based on wavelengths
2017-4-19
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2017-4-19 07:13
From the RC section of the P4P manual page 49

That is a misleading diagram by DJI. The antennas are still vertical.
They are just 60° in relation to the RC which is being held abnormal.

2017-4-19
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

This morning I was just generally lost.  Now this afternoon I'm completely lost.  I don't know whether were supposed to hold the controller on a horizontal plane, at a 45 degree angle, vertical, and also how we're supposed to hold the controller given different frequencies and antenna angles.  Maybe there is something proprietary going on with the signal as it leaves the DJI engineered antenna and we're not supposed to understand what exactly is happening...
2017-4-19
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

I have the best results keeping the antennas always vertical while holding the RC almost horizontal. Having it horizontal is just my comfortable position.
Only if AC is near and above I tilt the antennas all the way down.
2017-4-20
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

I think the best position is to imagine a perpendicular line to the antennas, and direct it towards the Phantom.                                     It's like shooting in the old west, if the antennas are 90º from the transmitter, pointing the top of the transmitter towards the Phantom, I think that the best angle is achieved.

2017-4-20
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

You can see the 90º configuration in this picture

2017-4-20
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-4-19 09:54
That is a misleading diagram by DJI. The antennas are still vertical.
They are just 60° in relation to the RC which is being held abnormal.

I followed the manual while the drone was in warranty but I use this now, Titan Range Extender with built in 3 watt amps, power meter, built in 3000 m/amp hour battery, quick snap connectors and magnetic mount.
18010951_10158373327195012_1731051556032005291_n.jpg
2017-4-20
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2017-4-20 23:14
I followed the manual while the drone was in warranty but I use this now, Titan Range Extender with built in 3 watt amps, power meter, built in 3000 m/amp hour battery, quick snap connectors and magnetic mount.

Spike, if the transmitter falls on your foot, you'll probably have to go to a hospital.
How much does it weigh?
2017-4-21
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United States

not so much that I need a neck strap, if you were a child you might need some help.
2017-4-21
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2017-4-21 07:09
not so much that I need a neck strap, if you were a child you might need some help.

Do you get good results with it ?
2017-4-21
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Yep its a fantastic product, I think better than the Maxx Uav system as its neatly packaged, but that's just my opinion, others may differ in their opinion
conquer 1.jpg
2017-4-21
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2017-4-21 10:58
Yep its a fantastic product, I think better than the Maxx Uav system as its neatly packaged, but that's just my opinion, others may differ in their opinion

Did you buy the T.R.E. in Europe ?  And how much did you pay ?
2017-4-21
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I bought it direct from the manufacturer in the USA , had it sent to UK it was 299 dollars US
2017-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules