Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Active track, is it actually useful?
1420 4 2017-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stephanegimenez
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1153780 ft
  • >>>
Jersey

Has anyone been able to make use of active track in a real case, other than following you around an empty field, or following a car from 50m altitude ?

I have now tried and failed miserably skiing, that was an epic failure... despite trying and trying to follow myself or a friend, after 1 hour, we gave up...

I have tried to follow my friend on a sea kayak, And I got better results flying and filming manual. In 30min only once did I manage to track and rotate around him whilst moving in a straight line...

I track to follow a car, and trees and various objects just made it impossible...

Every time I start active track, it seems that the drone follows by camera to start with, takes about 10 seconds to get moving by which point, the object is either too far to track or too small to make the footage usable...

Anyone managed to use this feature in a creative way?

Drone is a P4P+

2017-4-16
Use props
P4P+
lvl.4
United States

Active track needs work. I can get it to work as I walk around a field but it loses me easily. Forget walking under the drone. I tried to tack me mowing the lawn and it failed miserably. Also it changes the video size and rate automatically and the controls on the screen freeze 99% of the time. It is a shame because active track makes a video that appears to be made from a videographer using a steady cam. One can record themselves to a tape recorder for voice over to the video, but active track just doesn't work well. DJI should have used a radio device to follow, not imaging.
2017-4-19
Use props
Bootspike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 109281 ft
Australia

P4P+ Posted at 2017-4-19 21:05
Active track needs work. I can get it to work as I walk around a field but it loses me easily. Forget walking under the drone. I tried to tack me mowing the lawn and it failed miserably. Also it changes the video size and rate automatically and the controls on the screen freeze 99% of the time. It is a shame because active track makes a video that appears to be made from a videographer using a steady cam. One can record themselves to a tape recorder for voice over to the video, but active track just doesn't work well. DJI should have used a radio device to follow, not imaging.

My impression is that active track has real potential, but I need to learn how to use it a little better. I have tried following and cruising around a 4 wheel buggy at up to 40kph successfully, but when it turns sharply, the tracking is lost. A little more persistence and experimentation, particularly with subject colour, is probably all I need.

Interested to hear other comments.
2017-4-19
Use props
S t e f a n
First Officer
Flight distance : 4719222 ft
  • >>>
Germany

active track works great for me. You needed only enough contrast!
In my video there is a sequence (time 2:23):
2017-4-19
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

It is really good if you are making a documentary style video, talking to the camera, walk towards it and it will back up smoothly while you keep talking, you can push it around by walking towards it and going a little right or a little left to push it in the required direction, thus make your documentary guiding the camera around yourself without the need for a remote control while the camera stays focused on you.  Of course you need a separate audio recorder.  Even if someone else is doing the talking it is still good since the pilot does not have to point the camera, only choose/adjust the distance and height, maybe finishing by going to long distance and high altitude to effectively zoom out and give an overview, then circling the presenter.

I find that using it to follow the target is of limited interest, normally it is better to be in front of the target flying backwards, on the P4 that still needs a bit of work from DJI to make it work well.
2017-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules