Recent update fixed the iPhone7 / OMSO - or is it still unusable?
7335 14 2017-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans88017fe2
New

United Kingdom

After seeing some OSMO iphone footage I was blown away but the quality. I do live photography / Videography (www.marklatham.co.uk).

The OSMO would have been a nice addition to my current set up filming at live shows, doing quick interviews etc.

BUT after some research before I hit the buy button I found out about the horrid issue with the OIS on the iPhone 7. Makes the footage unacceptable at a pro level which is a great pity.

The OIS in the iPhone 7 does a very good job so you'd think adding the OSMO for more stable footage would work but obviously the software and OIS fight eachother to create nasty blips I've seen on a lot of peoples reviews.

Does the current software update fix this issue? Im having a hard time finding an answer from someone official at OSMO - If not - will it ever be fixed?
Such a pity that these issues make it unusable with phones with OIS!

Like I say Im ready to press the buy button!!!!

2017-4-17
Use props
Salty777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117077 ft
Indonesia

I think the easy fix would be for Apple to make OIS selectable instead of always on. Not much DJI can do as the gimbal is made to be..... a gimbal!
2017-4-17
Use props
MarkLatham
New

United Kingdom

Yes but DJI say its compatible with the iPhone7 when at the moments its clearly not!
2017-4-17
Use props
KPSavage
New

South Africa

I have a Iphone 5 and I can not view my photos and have seem to lost all the photos. Is it true that the DJI App does not support the Iphone 5? Would I need to get a new phone??
2017-4-18
Use props
QiiFlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just returned an OSMO Mobile (I was using with my iPhone 7) because the jittering was to much. I tried the DJI GO app, FILMIC Pro and just the native camera on the iPhone. The video was very hard to watch.
2017-4-18
Use props
AlenNugi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 422536 ft
United States

I watched latest DJI advertisment recently and realised that I want DJI OSMO Mobile for my iPhone 7 Plus. I'm lucky that i've got to read about the distortion problems before buying.
DJI, why do you promote the products with using latest iPhone in the video cheating consumers beforehead ? The video in the ad is possibly not shot by iPhone + OSMO because the image is super clear. Isn't it going to deliver bad consumer experinence by the end or Sales are much more important?

I want to buy your product if you tell me how to fix the problem with image stabilization. Thanks !

2017-4-18
Use props
Salty777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117077 ft
Indonesia

MarkLatham Posted at 2017-4-17 08:55
Yes but DJI say its compatible with the iPhone7 when at the moments its clearly not!

That's a good point!

Apple should allow OIS to be selectable, and DJI should not list iPhone with OIS as compatible until Apple fixes problem
2017-4-18
Use props
RoomierPanda
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187595 ft
  • >>>
United States

AlenNugi Posted at 2017-4-18 05:04
I watched latest DJI advertisment recently and realised that I want DJI OSMO Mobile for my iPhone 7 Plus. I'm lucky that i've got to read about the distortion problems before buying.
DJI, why do you promote the products with using latest iPhone in the video cheating consumers beforehead ? The video in the ad is possibly not shot by iPhone + OSMO because the image is super clear. Isn't it going to deliver bad consumer experinence by the end or Sales are much more important?

Damn that is a great ad.

On the parts that are actually filmed with the Osmo mobile, (less than you'd think) the jitter is pretty easy to see. One can assume they did use an iPhone 7 and used the least jittery shots.
2017-4-18
Use props
MarkLatham
New

United Kingdom

The lack of official response is pretty poor to be honest ;-( I saw online that some guy got a response phone call from DJI and they told him to walk smoother....
2017-4-18
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
Flight distance : 955587 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wonder if this setting from Apple Dev reference might solve it if implemented:  https://developer.apple.com/libr ... P40013599-CH107-SW4

For video capture, the AVCaptureConnection preferredVideoStabilizationMode property automatically enables both optical and digital stabilization on devices supporting video OIS.
2017-4-18
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=552024
2017-4-20
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I was looking at this bit:
From the cited developer documentation:
For video capture, the AVCaptureConnection preferredVideoStabilizationMode property automatically enables both optical and digital stabilization on devices supporting video OIS.

So if you set the preferredVideoStabilizationMode to off (the default), you will not get any OIS.

Apple's own camera app always opts in for video stabilization, but DJI is welcome to write an app that does not use stabilization and rely upon their own.https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/185922#185922
2017-4-20
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

jeffbake Posted at 2017-4-20 09:30
I was looking at this bit:
From the cited developer documentation:

There is NO WAY any app can turn off the OIS of iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus!
2017-4-20
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

ComPH Posted at 2017-4-20 19:19
There is NO WAY any app can turn off the OIS of iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus!

Understood, it just seems like there are conflicting viewpoints based on the Apple developer forum...
2017-4-21
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

jeffbake Posted at 2017-4-21 08:17
Understood, it just seems like there are conflicting viewpoints based on the Apple developer forum...

Removed by original poster
2017-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules