Registering to fly in Canada how to !!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc62380a9
lvl.2
United States

Any advise as to how to register my drone P 4 to fly in Canada ( Newfoundland  )   
2017-4-17
Use props
Mustang1993
lvl.2

Canada

Transport Canada released new regulations in March but you are not required to register your drone yet.  If you haven't read them you should do that ASAP as well as checking provincial and local laws as well.  Some Cities now have their own bans in place already.  Anything flying with a camera in Canada falls under a multitude of laws now.
2017-4-17
Use props
fansc62380a9
lvl.2
United States

Thank you  
2017-4-18
Use props
MaverickMTL
New
Flight distance : 20318 ft
Canada

Here is a tool to help UAV operators select sites away from aerodromes and built-up areas.
UAV Site Selection Tool

Happy flying!
2017-4-24
Use props
fansc62380a9
lvl.2
United States

Thank you kindly !!   I actually registered it with CARs    On 4-17
The Exemption. Notification form.   
Their replay was.     Transport Canada has received your email . We will reply in a timely manner to English and French inquiries only .  Thank you for contacting us  .      
If I'm understanding correctly. My P 4. Qualifies for an exemption. It falls under.   Exemptions for UAVs above one kg and up to and including 25kg
We shall see.   I'm driving  I could actually live with out it but this trip is a photography safari for me.   The Nikon being by favorite tool ! !!!  

2017-4-24
Use props
fansc62380a9
lvl.2
United States

fansc62380a9 Posted at 2017-4-24 06:15
Thank you kindly !!   I actually registered it with CARs    On 4-17
The Exemption. Notification form.   
Their replay was.     Transport Canada has received your email . We will reply in a timely manner to English and French inquiries only .  Thank you for contacting us  .      

Hi after a lot of research. And actually talking to a real person.  Its not really worth applying for an SFOC  special flight operator  certificate.   I was told that a non resident  would have to have the sfoc. To fly.
I'll. Be mailing my little drone home before crossing the border.   So sad.   
2017-5-4
Use props
fansc62380a9
lvl.2
United States

Mustang1993 Posted at 2017-4-17 07:04
Transport Canada released new regulations in March but you are not required to register your drone yet.  If you haven't read them you should do that ASAP as well as checking provincial and local laws as well.  Some Cities now have their own bans in place already.  Anything flying with a camera in Canada falls under a multitude of laws now.

I have learned that  me being a non resident of Canada.  Would have to possess a SFOC certificate to fly
Big difference in recreational flying and non recreational flying.  I would fall under the recreational category.  So I'll be mailing my little P4 home before crossing the border.  So sad.  Not really worth the hassle.      Peace out
2017-5-4
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187493 ft
Canada

As a foreigner you will not be approved for a SFOC unless you're from a movie studio or invited by a Canadian company for a project.  They are streamlining the process and claiming 20 business days but it's really in the 45 - 60 day range for a SFOC approval provided no other permits or permission are required.

There is no SFOC exemption for foreign nationals.

2017-5-4
Use props
fansc62380a9
lvl.2
United States

RobSinfield Posted at 2017-5-4 04:50
As a foreigner you will not be approved for a SFOC unless you're from a movie studio or invited by a Canadian company for a project.  They are streamlining the process and claiming 20 business days but it's really in the 45 - 60 day range for a SFOC approval provided no other permits or permission are required.

There is no SFOC exemption for foreign nationals.

Yes I have finally understood the Canadian protocol.
I will be mailing my p 4 home before crossing the border.  
Really what is the problem with a photographer takin some nice images   From up above !!!!
Guess my Nikon on the ground will have to work.
2017-5-5
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187493 ft
Canada

You don't have to worry about mailing it home and have the risk of damage, there's no embargo against bringing UAVs across the border.

2017-5-5
Use props
fansc62380a9
lvl.2
United States

RobSinfield Posted at 2017-5-5 09:16
You don't have to worry about mailing it home and have the risk of damage, there's no embargo against bringing UAVs across the border.

Thank you so much.  I would like to NOT have to mail it home.  Totally agree.
2017-5-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansc62380a9 Posted at 2017-5-4 04:26
I have learned that  me being a non resident of Canada.  Would have to possess a SFOC certificate to fly
Big difference in recreational flying and non recreational flying.  I would fall under the recreational category.  So I'll be mailing my little P4 home before crossing the border.  So sad.  Not really worth the hassle.      Peace out

You haven't explained why you thought you'd need the SFOC.
The Transport Canade website says:
If you fly your drone for fun and it weighs more than 250 g and up to 35 kg, you do not need special permission from Transport Canada to fly.
What are you planning that would stop you from flying?
2017-5-6
Use props
fansc62380a9
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-6 14:11
You haven't explained why you thought you'd need the SFOC.
The Transport Canade website says:
If you fly your drone for fun and it weighs more than 250 g and up to 35 kg, you do not need special permission from Transport Canada to fly.

This is what I have learned after that post.  
A non resident of Canada will have to get the SFOC.  This I was told in an email from cars  and also another reply  from someone on the forum.   Big difference in recreational flying and what Canada considers Non Recreational flying.    I was told it's very difficult to obtain the SOFC.    No flying in Canada for me !!!!     Peace out
2017-5-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansc62380a9 Posted at 2017-5-6 17:04
This is what I have learned after that post.  
A non resident of Canada will have to get the SFOC.  This I was told in an email from cars  and also another reply  from someone on the forum.   Big difference in recreational flying and what Canada considers Non Recreational flying.    I was told it's very difficult to obtain the SOFC.    No flying in Canada for me !!!!     Peace out

Are you saying that a non-resident would require an SFOC to fly recreationally?
If so that seems to be most unlikely.
Canada isn't a police state, they don't require registration or anything else for recreational flying beyond sticking to the rules.
Or were you planning to engage in commercial flight?

The only mention of a foreign flyers in the Canadian rules is related to commercial flight.
Q11 here:  https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/recreational-non-recreational-drone-operations-faq.html
They say nothing at all about foreigners and recreational flight.

11. I am not a Canadian citizen. How can I legally operate a UAV, for commercial purposes, in Canada?
As you would be classified as a 'foreign UAV operator,' you will need to apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC). SFOCs are the primary means to work legally with your UAV in Canada and are administered by Transport Canada's Civil Aviation Regional Offices.
For more information on submitting an SFOC application, please contact the regional office that best corresponds with the region of Canada you intend on operating in.
2017-5-6
Use props
fansc62380a9
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-6 21:39
Are you saying that a non-resident would require an SFOC to fly recreationally?
If so that seems to be most unlikely.
Canada isn't a police state, they don't require registration or anything else for recreational flying beyond sticking to the rules.

Yup I am a. ( NON Resident )  That the issue    I have been told that about the only way to obtain the SOFC for a non resident is to be filming a movie documentary or something of that nature !
NON Recreational flying.          I was also told the SOFC certificate  takes around 30 days  but in reality it  takes. around 60 days.       I am a photographer.  My P 4 is just another tool .   The Nikon Being my Favorite.       My flying would be strictly recreational.      
I will mail my P 4 home before crossing the border.   
  Thanks and peace out.  
2017-5-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansc62380a9 Posted at 2017-5-7 04:20
Yup I am a. ( NON Resident )  That the issue    I have been told that about the only way to obtain the SOFC for a non resident is to be filming a movie documentary or something of that nature !
NON Recreational flying.          I was also told the SOFC certificate  takes around 30 days  but in reality it  takes. around 60 days.       I am a photographer.  My P 4 is just another tool .   The Nikon Being my Favorite.       My flying would be strictly recreational.      
I will mail my P 4 home before crossing the border.   

Relax.  You've got it wrong.
Non-resident or not, You don't need an SFOC unless you are engaged in commercial activity.
Go and enjoy flying and photographing Canada
2017-5-7
Use props
fansc62380a9
lvl.2
United States

fansc62380a9 Posted at 2017-5-5 07:20
Yes I have finally understood the Canadian protocol.
I will be mailing my p 4 home before crossing the border.  
Really what is the problem with a photographer takin some nice images   From up above !!!!

Hi  .  I know that your replies are CORRECT I have done  my homework. And do appreciate you honestly
is there some way to share some of the other replies they are completely  wrong and are misleading !!!
2017-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules