Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying in Texas State Parks from outside the park?
6326 3 2017-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CXK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 104383 ft
United States

I've seen the threads on here about flying in Texas State Parks. I know they dont seem to allow us to take off or land in them. Can anyone confirm if you can take off outside of the park, fly over it and then land outside of the park? I'd like to get some footage of Palo Duro Canyon without getting in trouble.
2017-4-17
Use props
fansa99f1844
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2740 ft
United States

I understand this post is several months old. I contacted Parks and Wildlife agency, and was told that the use of drones in state parks is regulated by the park manager. My request to fly in San Jacinto Monument and Battleship Texas was approved for a 5 month period by that park manager. My request to fly in Balmorrhea State Park was denied for a trip there in August. I  plan to take off outside the park area, fly around the perimeter of the park with a short flyover.
2017-6-18
Use props
pmshop
Captain
Flight distance : 7881391 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can confirm that you need to ask/coordinate with the State Park superintendent.
And no, you will not get in trouble flying outside the park - observe:

The truck at the end was them but they went on their way without questions.
2018-2-27
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Captain
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I think the answer might be that it IS OK.  While the parks folks can dictate what you do while standing on their land, and they can also tell you that you cannot have your quad touch their land, when it comes to airspace, that's the purview of the FAA.  If the FAA have not made that park a "no fly zone", then you should be allowed to fly there.  Now I have seen some postings about a law that that is in dispute over whether a land owner can dictate what happens over his land up to a max of 350 feet, but that one is (from my reading) still unsettled.  But I think of it this way.  If home/land owners can control the airspace above their property, then everyone near an airport could say "no flying over my house".  Think what that would do to the airline industry.     That said, of course, if some Ranger decides to cite you, even if you're in the right, it could be a mighty hassle.
2018-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules