Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Testing New Phantom 4 Pro and 01.03.0509 Firmware - Very Pleased
1997 8 2017-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheMann58
Captain
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

On Saturday, April 15, I purchased a new P4Pro at my local Best Buy and installed the latest 01.03.0509 firmware on the Aircraft, RC and 4 batteries. I then performed a cold IMU calibration and gimbal auto-calibration on a flat surface because my horizon was a little off and then flew for 50 minutes. Overall, I was VERY pleased with the flight and video quality performance of my new P4Pro.

Firmware Update Comments. As soon as I powered up the P4Pro and opened the DJI GO 4 app, a notice was displayed indicating a firmware update was required. I used the DJI GO 4 app to download and install the update to my new P4Pro using my iPad Air 2 connected to the aircraft via a USB lightning cable and the supplied DJI adapter cable.  Update proceeded to 99% complete and remained at 99% for 10 or so minutes. I almost gave up, but then the app finally displayed " Update Completed." So, BE PATIENT and wait for the firmware update to complete. The P4Pro makes no beeping sounds during the update process.  I then power cycled the P4Pro and the DJI GO 4 app indicated the Controller firmware needed to be updated, which I then started from the app. The RC beeped throughout the firmware update process. I power cycled the RC as instructed by the app, swapped batteries in the P4Pro, and when I turned on the second spare P4Pro battery, I got the expected "Inconsistent Firmware Detected" message, which means the battery firmware needs to be updated. This battery firmware update required less than 2 minutes and I repeated the battery firmware update process for my two remaining batteries

Video Quality Comments. I can confirm that the periodic "extra frame insertion" (aka the "jerk frame" issue) that occured with the previous firmware (and a previous P4Pro aircraft I briefly owned) during filming at 4K/60 fps has been resolved by the latest 01.03.0509 firmware update.  I shot 6-1/2 minutes in 4K/30 fps and then recorded 38 minutes of video with two batteries at 4K/60 fps all in H264 and MP4 file format.  I have carefully reviewed all this footage now several times on my 4K OLED UHD TV and I did not see even one instance of "extra frame insertion" and there were no missing frames (which was never an issue for me previously) in ANY of the video I recorded. Outstanding!

Wind Notice Comments. Wind during my flights was reported by third-party HOVER app to be 8 mph, which agreed with my measurements - made at ground level - with my electronic anemometer. I don't consider 8 mph wind speed to be "too windy" to fly, but I got frequent "Too Windy" messages displayed on my DJI GO 4 app camera screen, which reappeared shortly every time I cleared them. Perhaps wind speeds at 400' AGL were significantly higher than at ground level. This would have been a crosswind for most of my time in the air.

Gimbal Horizon Comments. My gimbal horizon was initially tilted during stationary hover, and required a 1.6 adjustment to correct.  I was disappointed that I had to make this ajustment after calibrating IMU and gimbal. However, once this one-time adjustment was made, my horizon remained level during both hover and variable forward speeds over 3 flights (longest was 22 min) at speeds up to 29 mph (with obstacle detection turned ON).  I did experience some noticeable horizon tilt during sideways flight to the right.  Overall, while not perfect, this gimbal horizon performance is a major improvement over the variable and significant horizon tilt I had experienced with a previous P4Pro several weeks ago using previous firmware.  

Comments on Gimbal Performance with third-party ND filters + Polarizers installed.  I did not experience any gimbal instability, gimbal overloads or other issues during 50 minutes of flying in 8+ mph (or possibly higher) winds at speeds up to 29 mph.

Comments on Range.  I flew in a signal-interference-prone urban area. I did so safely by using an observer and by following wide green belts between neighborhoods.  In 2.4 GHz HD transmission mode I was able to fly to 8000 foot distance before losing both RC and HD video dignal in Custom mode with a fixed channel 20. In Auto mode at 2.4 GHz, I was able to fly to 8400 feet max distance.  Surprisingly (for me), when I switched to 5.8 GHz mode in Auto, I did not lose either HD or RC Signal strength out to 15,000 feet, when I turned around at 65% battery level. I could have easily gone further based on signal strength. Wow - this is significantly improved distance range at 5.8 GHz vs. the 2.4 GHz range I achieved today following exact same route with my new P4 Pro or the 7500' max range I achieved a week earlier with my older P4 (which only uses 2.4GHz for HD video transmission). I was surprised (and pleased) that selecting 5.8 GHz appeared to improve BOTH RC and HD video signal transmission strength and performance. Note: I ALWAYS use a slip-on parabolic reflector on my RC antenna to improve signal reception.  

2017-4-17
Use props
SM-17
Captain
Flight distance : 179288 ft
Netherlands

Very detailed firmware tests

Thank you.
2017-4-17
Use props
fansea1216d3
First Officer
Flight distance : 1810735 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for your post. I get my new P4P tomorrow I hope my P4P works out as good as yours did. I let you know how it go's thanks again.
2017-4-17
Use props
MK_Photo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14993 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks for the info. Do you have a photo of the slipon parabolic reflectors? or a link?
2017-4-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job well done..
2017-4-18
Use props
TheMann58
Captain
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

MK_Photo Posted at 2017-4-18 14:06
Thanks for the info. Do you have a photo of the slipon parabolic reflectors? or a link?

See my P4 forum post from MAR 2016:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-46954-1-1.html
2017-4-18
Use props
budro594
lvl.1
Flight distance : 411850 ft
United States

Thank you!
2017-4-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-4-18 17:04
See my P4 forum post from MAR 2016:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-46954-1-1.html

Aloha Mann,

Mahalo for the report!  I am about to do the upgrade and have gotten my Assistant 2 properly updated.  I like the parabolics to and that 5.8 FHz has really helped me for distance and live feed video.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-4-19
Use props
Capo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 178196 ft
United States

About the frequencies... 2.4 Ghz is a crowded band and 5.8 is still reasonably clear. It's all about signal to noise ratio. 5.8Ghz also can have a higher data rate. The only downside to 5.8Ghz is that it is more sensitive to obstruction.
2017-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules