Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
I2: ProRes 422 and 4444 issue *Choppy...
1705 9 2017-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Conrad Jay
lvl.1
Flight distance : 484806 ft
Canada

1) I love recording 4444xq... however I have been getting frustrated when looking at playback from a shoot as both 422hq and 4444xq plays back choppy... Because the footage is recored to the SSD and the mirco SD card im able to compare to the h.264 files which does NOT have this stutter effect every second... proress is bacsically unuseable in this case... When i first was playing it back i thought it might be my computer being slow, but after editing and full render... it still has this choppy look... Any thoughts? Anybody else has this issue?

2) When recording ProRes 4444xq (SSD formated in FAT32) the files get broken up into 4gb file sizes which ends up being only 16 seconds... On the site it says it will be able to record in exFAT which can make the difference but no instructions on how to do this? Can I simply reformate the SSD? Or is their a spcesific process? *This makes the editing process much more efficent dealing with one clip...

Any thoughts or advise or fixes or same/similar issuses?  
2017-4-17
Use props
Altitude Drones
First Officer
Flight distance : 1488520 ft
United Kingdom

Two thoughts:

- Could be shooting on a too high shutter speed.

- ProRes frame rate could be different to the timeline/project settings.

2017-4-17
Use props
Heir InVioLable
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the I2.  The ProRes is what I'll be using and I want to know if it is up to par with what I would get out of an atomos.  According to the specs I see no reason why the I2 would be having issues.  I would love to hear more as I am researching whether to buy the I2 ?
2017-4-17
Use props
Gybo102
First Officer
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

Altitude Drones Posted at 2017-4-17 22:25
Two thoughts:

- Could be shooting on a too high shutter speed.

Keep in mind, he did mention the H.264 file does not have the stutter issue. the things you mention would also show up on the H.264 footage as well being that they would share the same general video settings (frame rate and shutter speed)
2017-4-18
Use props
Gybo102
First Officer
United States

Can you take a clip and upload directly to youtube? do not bring into an editor, take the ProRes file right off the I2 and upload so we can see what the stutter is like?
2017-4-18
Use props
Altitude Drones
First Officer
Flight distance : 1488520 ft
United Kingdom

Yep understood. I guessed this for the shutter speed but I didn't know if you could choose different frame rates and resolutions for the two separate codecs..

I'm getting my SSD in the next couple of days so I'll learn more then.

Thanks
2017-4-18
Use props
Barry Goyette
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

Heir InVioLable Posted at 2017-4-17 22:34
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the I2.  The ProRes is what I'll be using and I want to know if it is up to par with what I would get out of an atomos.  According to the specs I see no reason why the I2 would be having issues.  I would love to hear more as I am researching whether to buy the I2 ?

I'm not saying thats what's happening in this case, but 99% of the time folks complain about stuttering footage, the machine they are playing back on is the culprit.

As for the quality of the ProRes, the quality is great. Every bit as good as you could achieve from a recorder. The only downside is that the prores footage is largely un-processed (meaning it doesn't have the Micro 4/3 lens corrections and noise reduction that the H264/5 codecs have). For landscape work, this probably isn't much of an issue, if you do architecture, especially with the wider lenses, you will see higher levels of distortion than the H264, and really not have access to quality tools for correcting those distortions. There is some sort of fix in the works for this, most likely a correction that will work in PremierePro, as DJI has done this previously. Otherwise, as someone who has been shooting with professional cinema cameras for years, the ProRes files from the I2 are generally fantastic.
2017-4-18
Use props
Gybo102
First Officer
United States

Altitude Drones Posted at 2017-4-18 05:36
Yep understood. I guessed this for the shutter speed but I didn't know if you could choose different frame rates and resolutions for the two separate codecs..

I'm getting my SSD in the next couple of days so I'll learn more then.

no worries, when recording to SSD + H.264 via SD, the frame rate, will be the same. when it comes to resolution, toy can match *except* when recording 2.44:1 (5280x2160) to the SSD, it will only record 3840x1572 to the SD.

With firmware updates, there is always the possibility of things like this changing.
You will love what the I2 SSD can record, some impressive quality.
2017-4-18
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
First Officer
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

I too can vouch for the quality of the ProRes files from an Inspire 2. Both 422 HQ and 4444 XQ look great. For most of my shoots, I probably don't need that level of quality but wanted to have that as an option. Playback on my new MacBook Pro is smooth as silk. I hooked my MBP to my 65" 4K TV and played a high quality, full screen preview from FCPX and it was impressive. Most things that go across that screen are highly compressed and sometimes even underwhelming. Glad to see the difference.

Conrad Jay, what are the specs of the machine that you are using for playback?
2017-4-18
Use props
Drone Cuiabá
First Officer
Flight distance : 13272894 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Core i7-3770 @3.40GHz
RAM 16GB
GTX 980 G1 Gaming 4GB
SSD

I also can not watch the videos in a smooth way.
2017-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules