Mavic Prop Crash flying Tripod mode inside house
1219 7 2017-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans70948f9b
New
Flight distance : 131070 ft
Ghana

Hi, I would like to share with you something that happened to me on a short fly using the tripod mode inside my house. My living room is high (3 floors) and have quite good space to fly. I was showing my new toy to my kids and suddently the drone assumed a evasive manouver hit against a pillar and ceiling and fell damaging the gimbal, camera and a propeller arm. After the crash, I check the fligth log and saw that as I was inside the house, the GPS signal as weak and the drone was on visual only. When I get close to a window the strength of the GPS signal become better, and the drone recognize a NFZ. Gave me less than one second and just flew away toward the wall, hit and fell. I was wondering if, it can be like this. The drone should, at least, ask to make autonomous movement before do it alone. Now I had to send the drone to maintenance I wait for the bill. It could be under guarantee? Is expected that the drone assume this evasive manouver alone, without any sign?
Thanks and Regards

Fernando
2017-4-18
Use props
81SFORLIFE
lvl.2
Flight distance : 313281 ft
United States

Can you upload the flight log so we can see the controls that were inputted?
2017-4-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You need to be experienced to fly with competence indoors, I'm only judging by what you wrote that this flying indoors is new to you, you didn't seem to know exactly what was going on, my advice is learn to fly and get confident outdoors before attempting to fly indoors again.

Get to know how the Mavic works and get comfortable with controlling it outdoors, if you want to fly indoors there are plenty of cheap little drones for $50 you can buy.
2017-4-18
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think his question was more related to the "why" instead of the "what". I too would like to learn from his experience. I thought that a GPS signal was required to use Tripod mode.  I too live in a NFZ and very often fly in my basement to test firmware and such because of no GPS signal in my basement. I now wonder what would happen if for some reason I magically locked on to GPS!  How is the device designed to react to that?  Need to know.
2017-4-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-4-18 12:33
I think his question was more related to the "why" instead of the "what". I too would like to learn from his experience. I thought that a GPS signal was required to use Tripod mode.  I too live in a NFZ and very often fly in my basement to test firmware and such because of no GPS signal in my basement. I now wonder what would happen if for some reason I magically locked on to GPS!  How is the device designed to react to that?  Need to know.

Flying indoors also comes under unsuitable places to fly your aircraft, yes you can fly indoors but what's meant by that is like large spaces with plenty of room, I don't think it means in your house for a family gathering.
Tripod mode doesn't need gps to fly, but it needs good lighting it's a good option for flying indoors and works well with VPS turned on , landing turned off in opti mode with RTH turned off, lighting conditions must be really good and some texture flooring, going from opti to gps will have no effect on your aircraft, but going from gps to Atti will have a real effect on how your aircraft handles.

Beginner mode needs gps.

2017-4-18
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-18 13:03
Flying indoors also comes under unsuitable places to fly your aircraft, yes you can fly indoors but what's meant by that is like large spaces with plenty of room, I don't think it means in your house for a family gathering.
Tripod mode doesn't need gps to fly, but it needs good lighting it's a good option for flying indoors and works well with VPS turned on , landing turned off in opti mode with RTH turned off, lighting conditions must be really good and some texture flooring, going from opti to gps will have no effect on your aircraft, but going from gps to Atti will have a real effect on how your aircraft handles.

Thanks hallmark; this does clear a few things up for me.
2017-4-18
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-18 13:03

That's explained very well. I try to explain this in other threads but give up lol

You can throw a flashlight on the floor too in low lighting conditions. That's good enough to keep opti mode.
2017-4-18
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Once again, it points out the need for DJI to give us the switch for manual ATTI mode.  Not having that is dronicide.
2017-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules