Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Sold my P3S. Which one next?
944 15 2017-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Roll Tide
lvl.2
Flight distance : 610502 ft
United States

Hello, I have flown my P3S for a year, and loved it, but just sold it.  Zero problems, regular 1200M range.But now I am drone-less.

Here are my choices, all new products available today on Amazon:
P3A   $680  (model yr 2015)
P3P     725  (2016)
P4       900  (2016)
Mavic  1000  (2017)
I am on a tight budget, but love to fly.  Which one do you believe would be the most fun to fly?  Which could I expect to be the most reliable for 6-9 months until I sell it and buy another.
Thank you very much for any advice.
I included the model year but don't know if it makes much difference.  Thanks again.

2017-4-18
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

Im going to sell my system with batteries, portable charger and case to offset the cost of the Mavic
2017-4-18
Use props
Roll Tide
lvl.2
United States

STRIDE8 Posted at 2017-4-18 12:57
Im going to sell my system with batteries, portable charger and case to offset the cost of the Mavic

There is no missing your position.  I'm leaning the same way.  Thanks.
2017-4-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It really depends on what you're looking for in your next craft. Are you looking to up your camera quality primarily, or do you want to 'zip around' more with the camera quality as a plus?
2017-4-18
Use props
Roll Tide
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-18 14:52
It really depends on what you're looking for in your next craft. Are you looking to up your camera quality primarily, or do you want to 'zip around' more with the camera quality as a plus?

I appreciate your reply.  To me, the videos and photos are just records of my flights.  I enjoy the video very much, but my real pleasure is in the flying.  
2017-4-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Roll Tide Posted at 2017-4-18 17:44
I appreciate your reply.  To me, the videos and photos are just records of my flights.  I enjoy the video very much, but my real pleasure is in the flying.

If you want to try out new features when flying, a P4 or a Mavic would be good. If you really want try something more 'zippy', then the Mavic would be what you're looking for.
2017-4-18
Use props
HLew
lvl.2
United States

Roll Tide Posted at 2017-4-18 17:44

Get the Mavic
2017-4-18
Use props
Beezzzzy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 280522 ft
United States

If you had a P3S then go with the Mavic. You'll enjoy the size and portability of it.
2017-4-18
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a hard one

Mavic Pro if you want something more portable. If you want a awesome camera, save some money and get the P4  or wait until the P4A with a better camera  goes on sale ((soon))

I love the Mavic and it always goes with me in my car... not bad videos either  If I could only have one, I would keep the Mavic  (but I am very lucky and have more options)

Rich
2017-4-18
Use props
Roll Tide
lvl.2
United States

My only issue with the Mavic, aside from a first impression that it could not possibly be sturdy etc, was that as a 65 year old, I need a good size screen.  The P4 with my 9.7" Samsung tablet would be great.  I flew my P3S with it.  Awkwardly, but I did.  
But I so much want the Mavic that I have bought it, and plan to use my 10" tablet with it.  And I do NOT intent to use any of those (to me) ridiculous $50 attachments I see on Amazon.  
I call them ridiculous because DJI could so easily give users the choice of two remotes for the Mavic:  one for smart phones, the other along the lines of the P3/P4 remotes.  A simple piece of engineering, and half of the Mavic users would not have to be hacking brand new drones to get a decent screen.
Well, I plan to fit my tablet into the Mavic remote endways AND locked into portrait orientation.  Per the portrait, I have used the app Rotation Control and it works with the Go app.  At least it loaded the app and it looked great.  But since I have sold my P3S, I have not been able to test it completely.
This is not a bad solution since my tablet is wider than the length of even a large cell phone.  
Yes, I know the Ipad mini 4 fits kinda, and if anyone wants to send me one, I will furnish my address and be grateful.
Until then, I can only say I will keep everyone updated of my use of the 10" tablet with the Mavic remote.
Unless someone tells me that forcing the app into portrait mode will kill the drone.  
BUT I still wish DJI offered two options for the Mavic remote, particularly given the master/slave option.  
I am eager to hear from you all.
2017-4-19
Use props
Beezzzzy
lvl.2
United States

Roll Tide Posted at 2017-4-19 06:58
My only issue with the Mavic, aside from a first impression that it could not possibly be sturdy etc, was that as a 65 year old, I need a good size screen.  The P4 with my 9.7" Samsung tablet would be great.  I flew my P3S with it.  Awkwardly, but I did.  
But I so much want the Mavic that I have bought it, and plan to use my 10" tablet with it.  And I do NOT intent to use any of those (to me) ridiculous $50 attachments I see on Amazon.  
I call them ridiculous because DJI could so easily give users the choice of two remotes for the Mavic:  one for smart phones, the other along the lines of the P3/P4 remotes.  A simple piece of engineering, and half of the Mavic users would not have to be hacking brand new drones to get a decent screen.

The Skyreat Tablet holder is only $30 and folds up easily. The Mavic was meant to be super portable and meant to be used with a phone but Im not giving up my iPad Mini 4 for it. The attachment was worth it.
2017-4-19
Use props
Roll Tide
lvl.2
United States

But with the Skytreat attachment, your view of the remote display is blocked, isn't it?  
2017-4-19
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

Beezzzzy Posted at 2017-4-18 20:03
If you had a P3S then go with the Mavic. You'll enjoy the size and portability of it.

exactly my sentiments
2017-4-19
Use props
Beezzzzy
lvl.2
United States

Roll Tide Posted at 2017-4-19 07:27
But with the Skytreat attachment, your view of the remote display is blocked, isn't it?

It is but everything on the controller is on the iPad screen. Not missing anything with blocking the remote.
2017-4-20
Use props
Roll Tide
lvl.2
United States

Beezzzzy Posted at 2017-4-20 12:30
It is but everything on the controller is on the iPad screen. Not missing anything with blocking the remote.

Oh, thank you for that.  Now I understand.
2017-4-20
Use props
tokenbrit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

I have the P4 standard and the Mavic - The P4 wins on picture quality and wind speed - the Mavic  is best for everything else.  If you enjoy flying, I think you will really enjoy the new fixed-wing feature on the Mavic.
2017-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules