Time lapse with P4P?
6353 22 2017-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
piowoc73
lvl.3
United States

Hi,

is there any way to take pics in a preset time intervals with P4P?
Thanks!
2017-4-18
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3245 ft
United States

2nd this question^ fREE BUMP
2017-4-18
Use props
taurus35
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136417 ft
United Kingdom

Take a look here.
This is for the Phantom 4 but will be the same for P4P, although I believe there are different time intervals depending on whether you are capturing RAW or JPEG. Minimum interval for JPEG is 2 seconds I think.
2017-4-18
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United States

You can use Litchi, in the camera settings there is a time lapse option, with a minimum of 2 seconds. I would add, that if you have your drone set to RAW or RAW+JPEG, depending on your storage card speed, you may not be able to use the 2 second. I have had the best results using JPEG only as the files are smaller in size and write to card much quicker.
2017-4-18
Use props
piowoc73
lvl.3
United States

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2017-4-18 23:19
You can use Litchi, in the camera settings there is a time lapse option, with a minimum of 2 seconds. I would add, that if you have your drone set to RAW or RAW+JPEG, depending on your storage card speed, you may not be able to use the 2 second. I have had the best results using JPEG only as the files are smaller in size and write to card much quicker.

Thanks Spike!
2017-4-19
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Just a suggestion.. When you do time lapse photos with the P4P, make sure that gimbal lock is off and the mechanical shutter is also off, otherwise your video will have all kinds of random movement.  The gimbal lock is for night time long exposure photos, and the physical shutter is for low altitude high speed photos..
2017-4-19
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United States

My pleasure
2017-4-19
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2017-4-18 23:19

Hmm... what you're saying is reasonable, but the quality decrease in JPEG is dramatic. Pictures that I was considering useless when browsing them in JPEG prove to be perfect and fully restorable in their RAW version.  Have you tried RAW with a faster SD card to give us your input?
Also, if the use of Litchi voids your warranty if your bird crashes because of mechanical failure, it sounds like a deal breaker, doesn't it?
2017-4-19
Use props
Minnesota Q
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183018 ft
United States

betonven Posted at 2017-4-19 07:22
Hmm... what you're saying is reasonable, but the quality decrease in JPEG is dramatic. Pictures that I was considering useless when browsing them in JPEG prove to be perfect and fully restorable in their RAW version.  Have you tried RAW with a faster SD card to give us your input?
Also, if the use of Litchi voids your warranty if your bird crashes because of mechanical failure, it sounds like a deal breaker, doesn't it?

If litchi voids, is there a way to do this with the DJI Go App?
2017-4-19
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

Minnesota Q Posted at 2017-4-19 07:29
If litchi voids, is there a way to do this with the DJI Go App?

I have the same question!

Probably drone is not the ideal medium for impressive timelapses though... the 20-25 minutes of battery time will give you a few seconds of good timelapse. If you want something more extended in time, better look for a good real vantage point and setup a tripod
2017-4-19
Use props
taurus35
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136417 ft
United Kingdom

Tutorial here from DJI might be helpful.
2017-4-19
Use props
Minnesota Q
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183018 ft
United States

taurus35 Posted at 2017-4-19 12:48
Tutorial here from DJI might be helpful.

Thank you
2017-4-19
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

... Also, if the use of Litchi voids your warranty if your bird crashes because of mechanical failure, it sounds like a deal breaker, doesn't it?

This comes up often - use of Litchi will NOT void warranty, so long as the craft is recoverable and DJI can extract the on-board logs to analyse (and confirm that it was due to mechanical fault, and not that of the operator).
If DJI didn't want people to use anything other than DJI GO, they wouldn't release an SDK so that other developers can write apps which help DJI to sell their craft. Remember that DJI principally make their money from their drones and parts, and not their apps.
But then this is off subject...  :-)
2017-4-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Using a faster card does not help the situation, the aircraft will take its own sweet time to write RAW files and it inevitably results in a longer interval between shots.
2017-4-19
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United States

Yep I have no problem with Litchi and timelapse, you could do it manually by putting the bird in GPS MODE, hovering over one spot and manually taking still shots every two seconds. I have done it with this method as well, but this requires input from the operator. I havent had a problem with Litchi, if you plan your missions with it correctly, and survey the topography of the land over which you are flying to set your waypoint heights correctly from your starting point forwards, there isnt any reason why you should crash your drone. Geebax makes an important point about the write speed of the drone, I suspect 99% of all crashes in DJI GO or Litchi are user error and not down to the hardware or software, but thats just my opinion.
2017-4-20
Use props
piowoc73
lvl.3
United States

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2017-4-20 23:09
Yep I have no problem with Litchi and timelapse, you could do it manually by putting the bird in GPS MODE, hovering over one spot and manually taking still shots every two seconds. I have done it with this method as well, but this requires input from the operator. I havent had a problem with Litchi, if you plan your missions with it correctly, and survey the topography of the land over which you are flying to set your waypoint heights correctly from your starting point forwards, there isnt any reason why you should crash your drone. Geebax makes an important point about the write speed of the drone, I suspect 99% of all crashes in DJI GO or Litchi are user error and not down to the hardware or software, but thats just my opinion.

Yeah, I am a fan of Litchi too, but when pre-planning the missions I realized that the gimbal heading is not always accurate for some reason. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong, or if this is some compass inaccuracy. I always use the road map and not the aerial map when setting up the points of interest, but still, the gimbal heading isn't perfectly on the spot.
2017-4-21
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

I am going to try a technique today with Go and my P4P.. I hopefully will have something posted up here tomorrow..
2017-4-21
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

Here is my latest time lapse.. Using JPG images, every 2 seconds.. Mech shutter off, gimbal lock off - taken over a 19 minute time span (~584 pictures).  Processed in Resolve to 4k.  Stabilized using YouTubes stabilizer..
2017-4-23
Use props
fans95c35baf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1078760 ft
United States

Nice sunset. Thanks
2018-1-30
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just shoot normal video and speed it up in post to create the same effect!?
2018-1-30
Use props
Fitzufilms
New

Aerial-Image Posted at 2018-1-30 23:44
Just shoot normal video and speed it up in post to create the same effect!?

A little bit of semantics, but no. Same effect yes, but not the same quality. Taking multiple stills (if done correctly) actually produces better time-lapse than speeding up video.
2018-9-22
Use props
Aussierob78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740476 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Definitely check the tutorial out, looks easy enough! I'm a big fan of timelapse and have created a few of my own with other camera gear. Will definitely be giving this a shot with the drone.

Nice sunset video!
2018-9-25
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Learn how a drone hyperlapse is done! Aaron Rajamoney, director of aerial imaging from UAVisuals.com takes you through a comprehensive step by step tutorial. It is a LONGGG video so use the links below to skip to the sections!

SECTIONS:

1- Intro to Hyperlapse 0:30

2- WORKFLOW 2:22

3- CAPTURE 2:52

4- LIGHTROOM/ COLOURING 4:09

5- IMAGES TO VIDEO 7:42

6- STABILISE / EDIT 9:02

Also known as drone timelapse, dronelapse, stopmotion etc.. The principles stay the same except you are now in the air and have the wind factor to consider! It takes patience, time & a lot of PRACTICE! –

Get out there & give it a go.
2018-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules