Help Gimbal Twitch Problem Found
2733 15 2017-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Trekz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3245 ft
United States

I was browsing through youtube and found a guy with a p4p twitch problem, so I did the same test and got worst results. DJI can you please repair this? I might be going to another country, so I need to make sure the p4p is in great shape.

1.) Here is my unlisted video(warning: turn down the volume)

2.) This is the video that inspired me to check my phantom's gimbal:

EDIT:
3.) Here is an unlisted video with the Lock Gimbal when Capture is OFF

If you go to my video (1.) and skip to 24 seconds, you can see that my gimbal twitch problem is worst than the other guys' gimbal.

2017-4-19
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Do you have the option "Lock Gimbal when Capture" activated? Then this is would be the reason.
It happens when the gimbal is forced to freeze upon taking pictures.
It has nothing to do with the mechanical shutter as the other YT video says.
2017-4-19
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-4-19 09:44
Do you have the option "Lock Gimbal when Capture" activated? Then this is would be the reason.

Should the gimbal have to freeze when not even in motion?
2017-4-19
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-4-19 09:44

Thanks^
I've uploaded a video (#3 on the original post) with that option off, and it slightly improved. It's still a little twitchy, and it's still similar to the other guy's video.
2017-4-19
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-4-19 10:22
Should the gimbal have to freeze when not even in motion?

Yes - since the gimbal is always in an active/motor controlled state when AC is switched on.
Even if it is visually calm.
High end gimbals are getting 2000 or more sensor data/motor correction inputs per second.
A gimbal is only real calm if switched off.

The lock function may be helpful when light is low and shutter speed slow.
But when you take multiple photos in mid-air and you want to keep one exact framing it's impossible.
Each time the gimbal is unlocked after the shot it twitches and the AC needs to to be slightly adjusted.
2017-4-19
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Trekz Posted at 2017-4-19 10:23
Thanks^
I've uploaded a video (#3 on the original post) with that option off, and it slightly improved. It's still a little twitchy, and it's still similar to the other guy's video.

You might have an issue - maybe not.
Fly and film if your weather/time allows. You will see in the footage if you have a real issue.
Indoors/at home can be many variables interfering with the system.
You want to exclude those first.

2017-4-19
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-4-19 11:05
You might have an issue - maybe not.
Fly and film if your weather/time allows. You will see in the footage if you have a real issue.
Indoors/at home can be many variables interfering with the system.

I noticed a twitch here and there, but it's pretty rare now. The most noticeable problem might be seen in 2 second interval hyperlapse shots and HDR shots. If this is a "real" problem, DJI what do I do?
2017-4-19
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Trekz Posted at 2017-4-19 13:10
I noticed a twitch here and there, but it's pretty rare now. The most noticeable problem might be seen in 2 second interval hyperlapse shots and HDR shots. If this is a "real" problem, DJI what do I do?

I think you ordered the DANCING GIMBAL by mistake. I would return it if I was you!
2017-4-19
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-4-19 10:45
Yes - since the gimbal is always in an active/motor controlled state when AC is switched on.
High end gimbals are getting 2000 or more sensor data/motor correction inputs per second.

I have 3 other, larger, more expensive brush-less 3-axis gimbals (when they first came out, these gimbals alone cost almost as much as the P4P) that do not behave like this in lock mode. Of course, lock mode may be handled differently on these other devices. Perhaps the P4P "suffers" from this due to its gimbal's tech/quality level?
2017-4-19
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-19 18:25
I think you ordered the DANCING GIMBAL by mistake. I would return it if I was you!

DJI....Can you please help my dancing gimbal problem?
2017-4-19
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Trekz Posted at 2017-4-19 21:47
DJI....Can you please help my dancing gimbal problem?

Ping one the ADMIN... It is the fastest way to get a response!
2017-4-20
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-20 06:37
Ping one the ADMIN... It is the fastest way to get a response!

I've PM'd an admin yesterday, but I guess they're still helping others.... ?

I also noticed that this is a factor in taking panorama shots. The camera significantly twitches after every shot. Sometimes it's marginal, but there are still times when it might be a problem. I mean it can be edited in post, but it's still something worth mentioning.

2017-4-21
Use props
zerubeusy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 108547 ft

France

I have the exact same problem and even worse because when I take pictures while flying and the gimbal stretch the horizontal line is no more calibrated and I need to do 360 degree turn to get the calibration back each time I take a picture... Do I need to send back my P4P??
2017-4-22
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

I might just have to call DJI...
2017-4-24
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

^^^^^^^^^^?
2017-4-27
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-4-19 10:45

That's when you turn off the mechanical shutter and the lock gimbal functions..  I made the following video with my P4P - one shot every two seconds. I tried before with either of the above functions on and could not make one.
2017-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules