1423 19 2017-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans27185e09
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30253 ft
Sweden

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to ask for some advice. I'm pretty new in video section.

What are the best settings when shooting Cinemadng 5.2k raw at night? Lets pretend its a sunset, at the sea.

Lets say I have 30 fps, what aperture and shutter speed are the best combinations to avoid studder footage and flickering?

Thanks
2017-4-19
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Put your camera to auto and see what settings come up, it won't be far off, you can tinker from there.

Mark G.
(Try to keep the ISO as low as you can whenever possible)
2017-4-19
Use props
fans27185e09
lvl.2
Sweden

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-4-19 11:15
Put your camera to auto and see what settings come up, it won't be far off, you can tinker from there.

Mark G.

Thanks Mark, it was playing around with it tonight. I've noticed I have some "banding" when I record 5.2k cinemadng. The funny thing is that its not there in cinemadng 4k, or in Prores 5.2k. I've talked to the support.. but they cannot help me online. Do you know what this possibly could be? Its not really banding either... I will upload an image of the raw file.

Thanks
2017-4-19
Use props
fans27185e09
lvl.2
Sweden

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-4-19 11:15

Mark G.

https://www.dropbox.com/home?pre ... 20170417_R00000.dng
2017-4-19
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

I'm looking at the pic but not sure where the problem is. Point me in the right direction?

Mark G.
2017-4-20
Use props
fans27185e09
lvl.2
Sweden

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-4-20 11:18
I'm looking at the pic but not sure where the problem is. Point me in the right direction?

Mark G.

Hmm, okey. Look at the darker places at the bottom, can you see the horizontal lines?
2017-4-20
Use props
raven4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 86194 ft
United States

A couple of things to comment on.
1-when shooting RAW, one needs to make an assessment of the scene contrast by looking at the histogram. For night time and low contrast scenes, standard RAW will work right. For high contrast scenes, in which the standard histogram exceeds the upper and lower boundaries of the histogram, it's time to shoot DLOG RAW.
2-if you're experiencing banding if you've shot in 10 bit, more than likely it's not the camera but your post processing workflow. Take a look at the download section for the I2. DJI has posted a RAW workflow that is the best.

edit: I should mention, also, that if you're viewing on an 8-bit monitor, or using an 8-bit video card,  the banding could very well be generated in the video display pipeline.

2017-4-20
Use props
fans27185e09
lvl.2
Sweden

raven4 Posted at 2017-4-20 12:36
1-when shooting RAW, one needs to make an assessment of the scene contrast by looking at the histogram. For night time and low contrast scenes, standard RAW will work right. For high contrast scenes, in which the standard histogram exceeds the upper and lower boundaries of the histogram, it's time to shoot DLOG RAW.
2-if you're experiencing banding if you've shot in 10 bit, more than likely it's not the camera but your post processing workflow. Take a look at the download section for the I2. DJI has posted a RAW workflow that is the best.

Thanks raven4, I will take a look at this right away. Did you see the image I posted ?
2017-4-20
Use props
fans27185e09
lvl.2
Sweden

raven4 Posted at 2017-4-20 12:36

But its still weird, every other cinemadng and prores except of the cinemadng 5.2k res gives me banding, not the banding you easily get rid of, its more like its a software issue or sometihing else. Please take a look at the link I provided, also see the videos in same link. Gotta get this straight
2017-4-20
Use props
raven4
lvl.4
United States

fans27185e09 Posted at 2017-4-20 14:56
But its still weird, every other cinemadng and prores except of the cinemadng 5.2k res gives me banding, not the banding you easily get rid of, its more like its a software issue or sometihing else. Please take a look at the link I provided, also see the videos in same link. Gotta get this straight

what r u using to view your video? if any part of your viewing pipeline (monitor, video card, NLE) is limited to 8-bit, the banding is probably coming from that.
2017-4-20
Use props
fans27185e09
lvl.2
Sweden

raven4 Posted at 2017-4-20 15:15
what r u using to view your video? if any part of your viewing pipeline (monitor, video card, NLE) is limited to 8-bit, the banding is probably coming from that.

Ok, but why only from cinemadng 5.2k and not cinemadng 4k or prores 5.2k? I'm on a i7 with 32gb ram and GTX 970... and monitor 60-144hz. I've tried after effects cc 2017, premiere pro and Davinci, all same.
2017-4-20
Use props
raven4
lvl.4
United States

fans27185e09 Posted at 2017-4-20 15:36
Ok, but why only from cinemadng 5.2k and not cinemadng 4k or prores 5.2k? I'm on a i7 with 32gb ram and GTX 970... and monitor 60-144hz. I've tried after effects cc 2017, premiere pro and Davinci, all same.

your vid card is 10-bit, so that's OK...
but your monitor is probably an 8-bit.
can you take your footage someplace to view on a 10 bit monitor?

I'm only guessing here.....so, I can't be sure but, the kind of banding the comes from low bit quantum errors are difficult to see on most surfaces. Skies, with gentle continuous gradients are notorious.
2017-4-20
Use props
fans27185e09
lvl.2
Sweden

raven4 Posted at 2017-4-20 15:49
your vid card is 10-bit, so that's OK...
but your monitor is probably an 8-bit.
can you take your footage someplace to view on a 10 bit monitor?

Ok I see. You're right about the monitor, just checked and it is 8-bit. Do the cinemadng 5.2k require higher bits and thats why? I will try this tomorrow at a 10 or higher to confirm. Can I somehow send you the raw file, and if you have time you can confirm if the case is the monitor?

Thanks
2017-4-20
Use props
raven4
lvl.4
United States

fans27185e09 Posted at 2017-4-20 15:53
Ok I see. You're right about the monitor, just checked and it is 8-bit. Do the cinemadng 5.2k require higher bits and thats why? I will try this tomorrow at a 10 or higher to confirm. Can I somehow send you the raw file, and if you have time you can confirm if the case is the monitor?

Thanks

No, I can't see why 5K should be any different than 4K.
Your dropbox link doesn't work, for me, or I'd take a look at it.
2017-4-20
Use props
fans27185e09
lvl.2
Sweden

raven4 Posted at 2017-4-20 16:13
No, I can't see why 5K should be any different than 4K.
Your dropbox link doesn't work, for me, or I'd take a look at it.

I have a youtube link to the video, try this... look at the dark places - like in the ocean

2017-4-20
Use props
fans27185e09
lvl.2
Sweden

Its recorded in 5.2k but downscaled to full hd. But its not that, it looks the same in the original file.
2017-4-20
Use props
raven4
lvl.4
United States

That's really weird. It looks fine, to me, while playing. It's the still image that has artifacts. The artifacts look like quantization errors.....compression artifacts/errors....not banding. So, it would look like the problem might be in your NLE, something in the conversion from RAW to playback. What codec are you transcoding to for playback? I would play back the original footage on the I2 to see if the artifacts are still there. I bet they're not. Also, if you've got Resolve start over and use the linear workflow described here.... https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... low_v03_English.pdf When you render out of Resolve, use a high quality codec, like DNxHD or prores. If you're delivering in something like H264/5, make sure you pick a high enough bitrate. It makes sense that a 5K file will require more compression to the delivery codec than 4K, introducing these quantization errors you're seeing.
2017-4-20
Use props
fans27185e09
lvl.2
Sweden

Thanks man, I really appreciate this. I will try this tomorrow and let you know about the results!

Thanks again!
2017-4-20
Use props
fans27185e09
lvl.2
Sweden

raven4 Posted at 2017-4-20 17:06
That's really weird. It looks fine, to me, while playing. It's the still image that has artifacts. The artifacts look like quantization errors.....compression artifacts/errors....not banding. So, it would look like the problem might be in your NLE, something in the conversion from RAW to playback. What codec are you transcoding to for playback? I would play back the original footage on the I2 to see if the artifacts are still there. I bet they're not. Also, if you've got Resolve start over and use the linear workflow described here.... https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... low_v03_English.pdf When you render out of Resolve, use a high quality codec, like DNxHD or prores. If you're delivering in something like H264/5, make sure you pick a high enough bitrate. It makes sense that a 5K file will require more compression to the delivery codec than 4K, introducing these quantization errors you're seeing.

Ok, so I tried opening the files and link to the specific folder, so that resolve could find all affected raw files - I did. Still those compression errors. Gonna try an Imac retina with 30-bit today, to see if that's the problem. Just feels like it lays in the raw file itself, can it be the image processor, or are you almost sure there's no hardware or software issue with the machine itself?
2017-4-21
Use props
fans27185e09
lvl.2
Sweden

raven4 Posted at 2017-4-20 17:06

Here's example in daylight - no artifacts at all, I don't know what Im doing wrong.

2017-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules