Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Horrible wobbling film from X5 camera-reason-possible to fix?
1245 14 2017-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LapplandMedia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 180909 ft
Sweden

Look at the attached video which can be seen on vimeo:

I got some horrible and wobbling of the film material. A friend of mine have experienced this once as well. I used Inspire 1 Pro with X5 camera and 12mm lens. All film from this moment contain the same wobbling and this was a commercial job (not what I show as the main subject is still secret). I have tried to reduce the wobbling with warp stabilization without success. If anyone can come up with an idea how to make it stable I will be more than happy (and my customer as well).
The scene was taken in an area with a lot of magnetite so potential problem here can be magnetism.

Again if any one have a sollution how to fix the wobbling to get useful material I will be so happy to get suggestions!

Best wishes,
Peter

2017-4-19
Use props
Troubleshooter
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

whoa that looks really bad!
2017-4-19
Use props
LapplandMedia
lvl.1
Sweden

Troubleshooter Posted at 2017-4-19 16:28
whoa that looks really bad!

Yes, and other parts looks even worse. Not a single second from the entire filming is without this wobbling. And I tried it one hour later were we do not have magnetite in the ground and the camera works fine again.
2017-4-20
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Does it do this all the time? When landed? Without motors running? What are your camera settings?

Mark G.
2017-4-20
Use props
Kiffkool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 812808 ft
United Kingdom

Ok ...im looking at the scene and looks like a very bright day ? ....and ask how did you properly expose this shot ? Did you use an ND filter or just raise the shutter speed because if you just used the a really fast shutter speed then you will suffer the dreaded jello you are having.
2017-4-20
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Jersey

Kiffkool Posted at 2017-4-20 11:09
Ok ...im looking at the scene and looks like a very bright day ? ....and ask how did you properly expose this shot ? Did you use an ND filter or just raise the shutter speed because if you just used the a really fast shutter speed then you will suffer the dreaded jello you are having.

That's what I was thinking. Not sure if I have ever seen it this bad though. Looking at the snow I would guess an ND 32 needed here?

Mark G.
2017-4-20
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am wondering if you have a fast high quality SD card that is rated U1 - U3 (extreme). I know that cold weather can impact your write speed to the SD card

Prop balance is another thing that could be happening too

Rich
2017-4-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to clarify, have you already checked the vibration board?
2017-4-20
Use props
LapplandMedia
lvl.1
Sweden

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-4-20 11:33
I am wondering if you have a fast high quality SD card that is rated U1 - U3 (extreme). I know that cold weather can impact your write speed to the SD card

Prop balance is another thing that could be happening too

Yes, I Used one of the fastest SD cards on the market and I have been flying in colder temperatures before. Here it is only zero so should not be a problem.
2017-4-20
Use props
LapplandMedia
lvl.1
Sweden

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-4-20 08:13
Does it do this all the time? When landed? Without motors running? What are your camera settings?

Mark G.

I was flying one hour earlier in another location and even brighter light and all worked fine. Also later in the evening. So the problem can be due to the location, radio mast or magnetite in the ground (magnetism).
2017-4-20
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

LapplandMedia Posted at 2017-4-20 22:20
I was flying one hour earlier in another location and even brighter light and all worked fine. Also later in the evening. So the problem can be due to the location, radio mast or magnetite in the ground (magnetism).

That to me does not look like camera wobble as I have seen in the past ,  I am not a camera expert but did the shutter speeds etc change between locations ?  Like Mark mentioned does it happen if the System is on the ground  or only in that location .  This may sound odd but could it be like heat waves rising off the Snow and causing the distortion , that is kind of what it looks like to me , but like I say I ma no expert on this topic but I am trying to learn .  Let us know if it is ONLY in this location .

Interesting challenge

donnie
2017-4-21
Use props
LapplandMedia
lvl.1
Sweden

I have got the explanation. The magnetic field from the magnetite have affected the IMU in the drone seriously. The IMU controll almost all in the drone from GPS to barometer to the connection of the camera and gyro. At the same time it was very difficult to fly (my worst experience). So not any wrong settings in the camera and it is due to this special location. Thanks for all help! Peter
2017-4-21
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

LapplandMedia Posted at 2017-4-21 07:56
I have got the explanation. The magnetic field from the magnetite have affected the IMU in the drone seriously. The IMU controll almost all in the drone from GPS to barometer to the connection of the camera and gyro. At the same time it was very difficult to fly (my worst experience). So not any wrong settings in the camera and it is due to this special location. Thanks for all help! Peter

Peter
Thank you for sharing. I would have never thought about this point. We take the IMU and compass operations for granted,  they should always be working  correctly. Our Earth gives us some new challenges and surprises along the way!  I guess we need another way to stabilize the aircraft by not using magnetic forces ?

All the best
Rich
2017-4-21
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Jersey

Wow! That is a shocker. I have heard of different types of local anomalies before but never witnessed anything like this, would you mind sharing the whereabouts of this location?
This is something I would like to look into.

Mark G.
2017-4-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It's good to hear you were able to find the root of the issue. Thank you for the update.
2017-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules