Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tango_B
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2891473 ft
Australia

Hi there,

Recently got the Osmo+. New to Osmo, not to photography though. 2 Questions:

1. Am I the only one who gets a bit of a blurry image down the right hand side of a pic, when using centre-auto focus (and only using centre focus)?

2. When using the Infinty Lock focus mode, it is hit and miss, with some background images being either incredibly blurry or not at all. How is Infinity Lock actually meant to work?

Focusing on this thing is very hit and miss, regardless of lighting conditions and distance from subject. Would be good if it had a manual focus option.
2017-4-19
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

The only time the Osmo+ has 'autofocus' is after it completes a zoom. Otherwise it is manual focus. It focuses on where you tap the screen (while the exposure/focus icon is in focus mode - green square). Infinity lock appears to lock focus on some hyperfocal distance, not sure what that is though.
2017-4-19
Use props
Tango_B
lvl.3
Australia

LensmanDave Posted at 2017-4-19 23:56
The only time the Osmo+ has 'autofocus' is after it completes a zoom. Otherwise it is manual focus. It focuses on where you tap the screen (while the exposure/focus icon is in focus mode - green square). Infinity lock appears to lock focus on some hyperfocal distance, not sure what that is though.

Thanks for the reply mate. I have a DJI Mavic, and the ability to fine tune the focus manually exists on that (and the camera is no where near as good as the X3 on the OSMO); I was hoping that the OSMO + would utilise the same feature.

I'm concerned that the infinity lock doesn't seem to do what is intended too. Surely things at a distance should be in focus, unless the infinity lock is causing the subjects in the frame to focus closer than it should.
2017-4-20
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

It was a mistake by dji to call it 'infinty ' lock. As you have found, it certainly doesn't focus the Osmo+  on the far distance. I get the impression it gives a focus range similar to the original non focusing Osmo - so it's more a point and shoot mode to use at wide angle when you haven't got time to focus.
Having said that, I find the Osmo+ works well for my style of shooting.
Cheers
Dave
2017-4-20
Use props
eColumbia01
lvl.4
United States

LensmanDave Posted at 2017-4-20 05:17
It was a mistake by dji to call it 'infinty ' lock. As you have found, it certainly doesn't focus the Osmo+  on the far distance. I get the impression it gives a focus range similar to the original non focusing Osmo - so it's more a point and shoot mode to use at wide angle when you haven't got time to focus.
Having said that, I find the Osmo+ works well for my style of shooting.
Cheers

I'm finding the same focusing issues. I'm using the x3 with the OSMO+. Does anyone know if using a more expensive lens such as an x5 will maintain focus while zooming both in and out? Having the lens not be in focus while zooming in and out looks bad.

2017-4-21
Use props
Tango_B
lvl.3
Australia

eColumbia01 Posted at 2017-4-21 09:40
I'm finding the same focusing issues. I'm using the x3 with the OSMO+. Does anyone know if using a more expensive lens such as an x5 will maintain focus while zooming both in and out? Having the lens not be in focus while zooming in and out looks bad.

I think I'm going to have to fault mine. Took it out today for a test, and nearly every video and photo has a blurry image down the right hand side, regardless of where I "tap-to-focus".
2017-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules