Return to Home via Lost Connection.
1278 10 2017-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drop Zone Media
lvl.3
United States

Let me tell you about my experience with my New Mavic Pro.  I took it to work with me and wanted to fly on my Lunch break.  I fired up the Mavic in the Parking lot, did my compass calibration, and was ready to fly.

I launched and everything was great.  I flew around and then, I went into Tripod mode.  It did exactly what is was supposed to do.  It slowed way down, and then I had the great Idea of going into the shop and show the folks I work with.  I was very cool, I made it through the door and was hovering when I got a Lost Connection signal.

This is where the fun started.  The settings for Return to Home is set at 30 meters, the ceiling in the store is 12 ft.  Well you can guess what happend next.  Yes it switched to Return to Home and tried to rise to the correct elevation and flew right into the ceiling.  It tried several times before one of the props broke and then did a Right turn and went out the open door!

It tried a climb and then did a dive into the ground.  The Motors were still trying to climb and in a panic I reached down and tried to grab it.  Big mistake!  The props and still turning at a high rate of speed and came into contact with my finger.  OUCH!  Well I finally got the motors to turn off, and checked out my NEW Mavic.  All four Props were broken.  

It was the only damage I could see.  I replaced the props, fired it back up and its works great.  I did a bit of flying to check it out and other than my finger hurting like hell, all is OK.

I reset the RTH function to HOVER.

Lessons learned the Hard way.

2017-4-20
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Thanks, good story and lesson. I'm glad that you only wound up with broken propellers and injured fingers: props are cheap and fingers heal, but neither is true of the Mavic's gimbal which has a poor record of surviving crashes.
2017-4-20
Use props
Yokota85
lvl.2
Flight distance : 255430 ft
United States

remember to take off hover for RTH when out side
2017-4-20
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

It is always better to learn from some one else mistakes and it is cheaper but... Also, before switching to a different fly mode adjust all of your setting and always remeber that you always might use GPS connection so always be in LOS and prepared to take in ATTI...
2017-4-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Leave RTH on, but next time, take off indoors and you won't have a RTH homepoint set negating the issue.
2017-4-20
Use props
Drop Zone Media
lvl.3
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-20 07:50
Leave RTH on, but next time, take off indoors and you won't have a RTH homepoint set negating the issue.

It was the RTH Height settings that caused the challenge.  I have recently flew indoors filming a Veterans Honor Ride.  

Thanks for the feedback.  Still learning the do's and Don't of this Drone
2017-4-28
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-20 07:50

I'm not so sure that's the safest or most reliable procedure for indoor flying. There's always a chance that the Mavic will gain a GPS lock at some point in the flight, and I believe it will immediately set a Home Point if it does.

I think the better option is still to set the Signal Lost option to Hover.
2017-4-28
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft
Germany

It must still have had some GPS reception or otherwise it would have done hover instead of trying RTH.
So the transition into buildings is the dangerous phase i guess, once it lost GPS it should behave.

Greetings,

Nils
2017-4-28
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-4-28 06:46
I'm not so sure that's the safest or most reliable procedure for indoor flying. There's always a chance that the Mavic will gain a GPS lock at some point in the flight, and I believe it will immediately set a Home Point if it does.

I think the better option is still to set the Signal Lost option to Hover.

I am pretty sure the homepoint is set before take off only.  The only way to get a homepoint after takeoff is by manually setting one in flight.  This is for obvious reasons that you may take off outdoors without a GPS signal for some reason and you don't want your homepoint being set 1 mile away when it finally gets a GPS lock.
2017-4-28
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-28 07:04
I am pretty sure the homepoint is set before take off only.  The only way to get a homepoint after takeoff is by manually setting one in flight.  This is for obvious reasons that you may take off outdoors without a GPS signal for some reason and you don't want your homepoint being set 1 mile away when it finally gets a GPS lock.

I'm afraid that's not the case. Here's a recent example: http://mavicpilots.com/threads/r ... avic-is-lost.14656/

The owner took off in ATTI mode (surrounded by tall buildings) and the logs show the Mavic set a Home Point 49 seconds into the flight, while at an altitude of 29.5m.
2017-4-28
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Wow.  Yes, that is not proper programming.  I am going to try that and take off before the home point is set.
2017-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules