Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Travelling w/ Mavic
5200 18 2017-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dremundo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144541 ft
United States

Hello All,

I know there might be some threads already with something similar but I wanted to see if anyone has specifically travelled internationally with success with their Mavic. I have a planned trip to go from Miami to Istanbul (only a layover not flying drone there) to then Rome, Naples, and Amalfi. I have read countless information on the flying with a drone regulation and have contacted the airlines ( drone needs to be on passenger as carry on, make sure the batteries are not installed on drone and separate from each other plus using a lipo bag helps the situation incase of questioning).  I wanted to see if going through security in Istanbul would raise a red flag? I recently read a thread where flying in Rome is pretty much not allowed, so I wont chance that. But in Naples and other less congested areas there wont be a problem. I guess my main concern is actually flying and getting through security. Any tips or advice is welcome, again apologies if this is up somewhere else.
2017-4-20
Use props
FF6022
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Interested in this too. I'm off to Bali so will keep a close eye on this for advice too.
2017-4-20
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You should have NO problem. I always do the following when I fly Internationally...Discharge the batteries to 50%, put plastic on the contact or put in a plastic bag and then into FIRE RESISTANT LIPO BAG. Post some videos!!!
2017-4-20
Use props
elementofgid
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11050 ft
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-20 07:27
You should have NO problem. I always do the following when I fly Internationally...Discharge the batteries to 50%, put plastic on the contact or put in a plastic bag and then into FIRE RESISTANT LIPO BAG. Post some videos!!!

Do you have any recommendations for a fire resistant LiPo bag?
2017-4-20
Use props
napabill44
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14068 ft
United States

I'm traveling to the whisky islands in NW Scotland this summer.  I am pretty sure that an internet connection will be sporadic at best.  Assume elementary flights will not be a problem?  Can maps of the area be "cached" in advance  for later use?
2017-4-20
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

elementofgid Posted at 2017-4-20 07:58

I own a couple of these (I got the two-pack) and really like them. Unlike a lot of the other options they're made specifically for Mavic batteries.
2017-4-20
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

dronist Posted at 2017-4-20 07:27

What this guy said. I travelled with 2 spare batteries (check airlines limit for lithium batteries) all at about 40-50% charge with the battery terminals covered.
2017-4-20
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

elementofgid Posted at 2017-4-20 07:58

These are the covers I use to protect the battery connector from dust and static:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 9_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the individual bags  (for P4 and MAVIC) I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have fun!
2017-4-20
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

travelrikk Posted at 2017-4-20 08:44
What this guy said. I travelled with 2 spare batteries (check airlines limit for lithium batteries) all at about 40-50% charge with the battery terminals covered.

It is always to better be safe than Caboooooom
2017-4-20
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.2
United States

FF6022 Posted at 2017-4-20 07:04
Interested in this too. I'm off to Bali so will keep a close eye on this for advice too.

Just got back from Bali (and a few other places) with my Mavic... Had zero trouble traveling with the Mavic, was not even questioned once.

And this was even flying with Qatar Airways with a layover in Doha, because of the new law I put my Mavic and all 3 batteries in my checked luggage.

For the person traveling to Bali, PM me if you want some specific information. (ie, how to get around their rules about flying at the Temples)
2017-4-20
Use props
fans7657a31a
lvl.1
Canada

Sangarone Posted at 2017-4-20 17:23
Just got back from Bali (and a few other places) with my Mavic... Had zero trouble traveling with the Mavic, was not even questioned once.

And this was even flying with Qatar Airways with a layover in Doha, because of the new law I put my Mavic and all 3 batteries in my checked luggage.

hey I will be flying Qatar airways soon, whats the new law you talking about? I was hoping to have it in the carry on
2017-4-20
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.2
United States

fans7657a31a Posted at 2017-4-20 18:27
hey I will be flying Qatar airways soon, whats the new law you talking about? I was hoping to have it in the carry on

Normally you would bring it in your carry on, and against the rules to check lithium batteries. But as of like 4 weeks ago, all passengers traveling from like 7 middle east countries (Qatar being one, even for a layover) can no longer carry on any electronic devices bigger than a cell phone. Laptops, tablets, cameras etc etc must be checked...

Qatar Airways has somewhat worked its way around this by allowing you to carry your bag of electronics into the terminal and gate area and check it in separate from your normal bag of clothes. They wrap it up nicely at the gate too, but you cant carry it onto the plane with you.  I didnt bring the large mavic batteries to the attention of security at all and just checked them in my bag of clothes. Also they were in individual lipo safe cases.

Maybe other people have had different experiences, but its probably worthwhile to read up on the exact intricacies of the law and how Qatar Airways is adapting to it leading up to your trip.  Once the order was announced I packed a roll of bubble wrap in my luggage and traveled with it for 3 weeks to protect all my electronics on the way home.

This doesnt apply to any flights leaving the US on those airlines, only entering the US.
2017-4-20
Use props
Tekameleon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1308291 ft
Canada

In the last month my Mavic has traveled with me on several International & Domestic flights to Ethiopia, Ireland, Canada (Ontario & Alberta) , & US (Hawaii) with no issues. Aside from a couple of curious TSA Agents it was uneventful.
Mavic + 3 Batteries in Pelican Case in carry-on, Star Alliance & WestJet.

As others have said, a little electrical tape over the contacts and partially discharge batteries.
2017-4-20
Use props
fans9b8f5837
New
India

I just brought my Mavic to India via China and Thailand. I carried it on and no security anywhere made any fuss at all, and the Chinese security guys went through all my stuff.

The only problem is that my Mavic is defective and doesn't focus anymore. DJI won't help and Indian customs won't let me send it home so now I'm carrying this brick around for the next two months.

There was a glimmer of hope yesterday when it worked for a few minutes but not today
2017-4-20
Use props
Luka M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 780233 ft
Australia

Sangarone Posted at 2017-4-20 18:46
Normally you would bring it in your carry on, and against the rules to check lithium batteries. But as of like 4 weeks ago, all passengers traveling from like 7 middle east countries (Qatar being one, even for a layover) can no longer carry on any electronic devices bigger than a cell phone. Laptops, tablets, cameras etc etc must be checked...

Qatar Airways has somewhat worked its way around this by allowing you to carry your bag of electronics into the terminal and gate area and check it in separate from your normal bag of clothes. They wrap it up nicely at the gate too, but you cant carry it onto the plane with you.  I didnt bring the large mavic batteries to the attention of security at all and just checked them in my bag of clothes. Also they were in individual lipo safe cases.

Thanks so much for this information, travelling from Australia with Qatar to European countries including Amalfi Coast and Rome. Don't want to risk missing my flight and not getting let on cause they aren't packed properly.
2017-4-21
Use props
Antonov
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321857 ft
United Kingdom

With the new Law enforced from USA in regards to No Electronics (Laptops/ipad/external batteries) in Istanbul they will take anything you may have on your hand baggage, also you are not allowed to carry any Lipo batteries in suitcase checked-in. I just came back from there, many people lost their batteries. Take them at your own risk.
2017-5-25
Use props
Dremundo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144541 ft
United States

Antonov Posted at 2017-5-25 04:07
With the new Law enforced from USA in regards to No Electronics (Laptops/ipad/external batteries) in Istanbul they will take anything you may have on your hand baggage, also you are not allowed to carry any Lipo batteries in suitcase checked-in. I just came back from there, many people lost their batteries. Take them at your own risk.

LONG REPLY ALERT

Hello all...

I was eager to come back on here and share my experience with everyone in this same situation since I just got back from my vacation ( Miami to Istanbul to Naples/ Rome). First and foremost I flew with Turkish Airlines, one of the countries on the electronics ban for "us" Americans. On the way to Europe absolutely no problem, I packed my MP in an Amazon ordered MP case and that was put into a back pack... only thing I did was discharge batteries to under 50% and stored them in a liposafe bag and labeled the liposafe bag in ENGLISH AND ITALIAN to state 2 batteries under 50% charge.

Flying over there was a breeze, I was able to fly in Naples, Island of Ischia, Sorrento, Amalfi and Rome. Some places are way over crowded and unsafe to fly so use the common sense and if you feel as if you shouldn't then don't. Example on the island of Ischia I flew from a beach and was questioned by the local authorities, I brought the MP down and basically said it was a drone for me to take nice pictures and films of their beautiful local beach. I kid you not they were perfectly fine with it since I was not flying OVER people but over the water.

Rome and Naples are more crowded but the reason I decided to fly was because in both places I stayed I had access to the roof tops and just literally flew strait up over the roof I launched from, again I didn't think it was the smartest but I was very hesitant to even move the mp around.

I will say that the level of certain places that you can launch from will throw off the MP, in example, launching off of a roof top in the Amalfi the MP prompted I already reach max altitude and would not let me go any higher. I disregarded the message with a swipe and brought it back down. I know I could of maybe adjusted settings but I just didn't want to chance losing the MP at any cost.

Now more nerve wrecking stuff... SO... on the way back to Miami we went Rome - Turkey- Miami.... Rome no problem kept on carry on the same way I had it packed on the way in. Once we reached Turley and went through 3 security stands yes 3, be fore boarding Turkish Airlines has there own security set up where they search everyones carry ones and personal items. I approached a clerk and he asked for what I have placed my book bag on table and said I have a drone and a camera. He asked me to take out the case and open the case to show the MP. He swabbed the MP and case to see if anything was going to activate the swab and politely told me I was good to go. I was nervous because I have read (on here and other sources) that anything larger than a cell phone would be taken from me let alone its a freaking drone. Nothing of that sense happened what so ever, I was relieved and now absolutely more confident in travelling with the MP on many more flights. Im glad I did my research and uploaded maps from the dji offline maps section, ALSO I contacted my cell phone carrier (sprint) and purchased a 5 day data plan that kept my cell data on LTE and did al my flying within those 5 days since I actually had data to use the apps and maps ( maybe over kill but well worth to have flown and capture the beauty of southern Italy)
2017-7-21
Use props
fans9e1fae06
lvl.1

Trinidad and Tobago

Just flew from Miami to Port of Spain with my Mavic Pro Platinum in the original case.
I basically took the additional precautions
•Remove the batteries and secure the contacts with tape.
•Discharged batteries below 50%
•Informed & Clearly display all the items to TSA.
The entire process was seamless.
Hope this helps
2017-12-1
Use props
Cole1
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-20 08:25
I own a couple of these (I got the two-pack) and really like them. Unlike a lot of the other options they're made specifically for Mavic batteries.

Hi Just spending a cold afternoon here in the UK trawling through forum Thank you Drone Flying Captain for offering the traveling bags for the batteries and not a bad price if I may say so.
2017-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules