Flying Qantas plan on bringing P4 to Japan (Tokyo) from Australia
640 7 2017-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chazzer086
lvl.1
Flight distance : 94688 ft
Australia

Hi guys I'm about to head to Japan (Tokyo) from Brisbane, Australia and was wondering if I'm able to bring the drone with me? I've bought lipo safe bags for 2 batteries and I've got a drone bag for my P4 which is inconspicuous. Is there anything else I need to do? just a lil worried as its the first time I've taken my drone overseas and wanna make sure I've covered everything possible... thanks
2017-4-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You should be able to put your aircraft in checked baggage and the batteries in your carry-on.
2017-4-20
Use props
chazzer086
lvl.1
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-20 18:14
You should be able to put your aircraft in checked baggage and the batteries in your carry-on.

batteries half charged?
2017-4-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

chazzer086 Posted at 2017-4-20 18:22
batteries half charged?

The rules do not seem to specify the state of charge, and they would have no way of knowing anyway.
2017-4-20
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-20 18:54
The rules do not seem to specify the state of charge, and they would have no way of knowing anyway.

As stated by Geebax, the amount of charge is not relevant - just the watt hours of the battery. Fortunately, 89 Wh is comfortably below the threshhold and can be carried on. You can check this on the QANTAS website.

But be aware that airport security, country guidelines and airline guidelines may not translate as the same. For example, I'm flying return Sydney-Hamburg in September. While QANTAS and Emirates advise similar guidelines to the above, my layover is in Dubai. If I unload my Phantom and I'm pinged in the airport - sayonara Phantom!
2017-4-20
Use props
chazzer086
lvl.1
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-4-20 19:06
As stated by Geebax, the amount of charge is not relevant - just the watt hours of the battery. Fortunately, 89 Wh is comfortably below the threshhold and can be carried on. You can check this on the QANTAS website.

But be aware that airport security, country guidelines and airline guidelines may not translate as the same. For example, I'm flying return Sydney-Hamburg in September. While QANTAS and Emirates advise similar guidelines to the above, my layover is in Dubai. If I unload my Phantom and I'm pinged in the airport - sayonara Phantom!

they dont usually check the bag? phantom 4 bag is quite big
2017-4-20
Use props
chazzer086
lvl.1
Australia

chazzer086 Posted at 2017-4-20 19:16

and what exactly do u mean by pinged?
2017-4-20
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

chazzer086 Posted at 2017-4-20 19:16

Hey. My point was that if you can get it through security here (and it may still just depend on the guard) and get onto a plane, that doesn't mean that you may be about to get it back through security on the other end when flying back.

Further risk if you have your drone as carry-on, and you have a lay-over somewhere not tolerant of drones (like Dubai - damn!). If you need to temporarily leave the secure area at the airport for whatever reason, you may have issues getting it back in when you need to re-board.

And by 'pinged', I mean, should a guard see you and approach you; tap you on the shoulder; query you; call you aside; etc. As you say, the P4 bag won't be very small.
2017-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules