Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery Explosion
359 15 2017-4-21 09:26:05
Central Maine D
Hobbyist
Flight distance : 225481
United States

Someone tagged me on Facebook because they knew I had a P3P.  They'd seen this video about a battery exploding causing a fire.  
2017-4-21 09:26:05
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 49613
Canada

That is a scary occurrence.. Never heard of DJI batteries going off.

I wonder if it was a third party unit?

Aside from the property damage, thankfully, no one was injured...

RedHotPoker
2017-4-21 09:45:45
Use props
method007
Intern Pilot
Flight distance : 5333
United States

An inspire battery caught fire in carry on luggage a few years back.  That's all I recall.  Sell enough of them, it's bound to happen.
2017-4-21 10:24:41
Use props
Mark The Droner
Intern Pilot
United States

Note the guy on the bottom left knew what was important - regardless of the circumstances, he wasn't about to let go of that sandwich:

2017-4-21 10:32:25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 34239
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-4-21 09:45
That is a scary occurrence.. Never heard of DJI batteries going off.

I wonder if it was a third party unit?

It's a rare occurrence, but they can have the same risk as any LiPo battery if not taken care of properly. 3rd party batteries could have been a possibility, but I'd be speculating.
2017-4-21 16:47:01
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 34239
Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-4-21 10:32
Note the guy on the bottom left knew what was important - regardless of the circumstances, he wasn't about to let go of that sandwich:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF9fhlr9S5s

It must have been a pretty good sandwich...
2017-4-21 16:47:31
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It is a pity that most of the advice given in that report is pure BS. LiPo batteries may catch fire, they do not explode. And the guy advising using the right battery matched with the 'right sized' charger is full of it too. Seeing the item was about a DJI battery, the charger is automatically the right size.
2017-4-21 17:03:13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-21 17:03
It is a pity that most of the advice given in that report is pure BS. LiPo batteries may catch fire, they do not explode. And the guy advising using the right battery matched with the 'right sized' charger is full of it too. Seeing the item was about a DJI battery, the charger is automatically the right size.

Talking about DJI batteries and appropriate chargers, made me think of Solentlife, and his using alternative chargers, that balance and override the intelligence quotient.  

I only hope, that who ever had this frightening experience isn't jaded or scared off from enjoying RC hobbies. This has to be a once in a lifetime experience, one in ten million... Much like winning the lottery.,
Only with bad luck though. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-4-21 19:32:27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-21 16:47
It's a rare occurrence, but they can have the same risk as any LiPo battery if not taken care of properly. 3rd party batteries could have been a possibility, but I'd be speculating.

Is it only during charging the intelligent flight pack, that over considerations should be made?

RedHotPoker
2017-4-21 19:36:17
Use props
Eric13
Student Pilot
Flight distance : 138180
Germany

This here is interesting. Looks like after a bath the battery seems to be a continuous hazard.
I'm wondering how to properly get rid of it:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/battery-fire.111277/
2 days ago
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Intern Pilot
Flight distance : 469694
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-4-25 05:33
This here is interesting. Looks like after a bath the battery seems to be a continuous hazard.
I'm wondering how to properly get rid of it:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/battery-fire.111277/

Maybe just take it out into an open area and throw it in a campfire?  Once it has burned it will be safe. It would be exciting.
2 days ago
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Intern Pilot
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-21 17:03

I beg to differ. It may not be an explosion compared to C 4 but it can explode as any container under pressure can.  It happened to me with a Li-ion battery. It was one of those compact car jumper batteries. After the car started the battery began sizzling and I went to disconnect it but it exploded and caught fire just as my arm was over it. Had some burns and bits of plastic embedded in my arm. Fire extinguisher put it out but they sure do make a mess.
2 days ago
Use props
Pocket Sized
Beginner
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-4-25 05:57
I beg to differ. It may not be an explosion compared to C 4 but it can explode as any container under pressure can.  It happened to me with a Li-ion battery. It was one of those compact car jumper batteries. After the car started the battery began sizzling and I went to disconnect it but it exploded and caught fire just as my arm was over it. Had some burns and bits of plastic embedded in my arm. Fire extinguisher put it out but they sure do make a mess.

Heavy duty Li-on cells typically have a very thick metal housing to protect them from impact damage. These can hold a HUGE amount of pressure before bursting, as you discovered the hard way.

Flight batteries have a thin foil covering the cells, so they tend to rupture before there's enough pressure built up for an explosion.
2 days ago
Use props
Mark The Droner
Intern Pilot
United States

Whether Lipos explode or not depends on how you define the word.  IMO, the word explode is a good word when describing ignited liipos.  It's a pressurized ignition which is why lipos should be stored in a well-vented flame-proof container which should be kept away from other things that may ignite.  Know that upon ignition, the flames will shoot wildly out of the vents.  The fewer the vents, the more wildly flames will shoot out.  

In addition, if I may borrow a quote from Maximum PC's July 2002 issue:  "If the lithium inside the battery comes in contact with water, it can mess you up bad ..."

https://books.google.com/books?i ... p%20bad&f=false

2 days ago
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-4-25 05:57

All right, I will further qualifty it and say the batteries used in DJI aircraft do not explode. The word 'explode' is a favourite term used by the media because it confers a bigger incident than actually occurred. In other words, alternative facts', the new Trump-esque term for media lies.
2 days ago
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Intern Pilot
United States

Pocket Sized Posted at 2017-4-25 08:50
Heavy duty Li-on cells typically have a very thick metal housing to protect them from impact damage. These can hold a HUGE amount of pressure before bursting, as you discovered the hard way.

Flight batteries have a thin foil covering the cells, so they tend to rupture before there's enough pressure built up for an explosion.

That's good to know.
2 days ago
Use props
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules

Close

DJI RecommendsPrevious /1 Next