DJI Phantom 3 Standard battery won't charge
13695 11 2017-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ToranWhitaker
New

United States

Okay. So I bought a used Phantom 3 Standard that didn't come with a battery charger. I bought one and plugged it into the battery so I could get to flyin'. There isn't much info on how the batteries work and the manual isn't much clearer so I figured I'd ask on here.

So I plug the battery in. About every five seconds the green light and the red light flash. The red stays solid. The LED blinks three times. Then they go off for another five seconds. Does this mean it's charging? I've also turned on the battery to see if it makes a difference. The red stays solid the entire time while the green blinks. I was waiting to see if that'd get a charge but I believe at some pointed it started flashing how it was before. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm a newbie.
2017-4-21
Use props
ToranWhitaker
New

United States

Neither seem to be making any progress on the battery.
2017-4-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Could you happen to provide a small video of the LED sequence you're getting on the battery?
2017-4-21
Use props
ToranWhitaker
New

United States

2017-4-21
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Try this ... turn battery on first before connecting charger ....

I would hazard a guess that the battery has been hibernating a long time OR previous owner drained it too low and now its possibly reluctant to 'wake-up' .... if he did discharge too low - then its likely damaged.

If it was me - I would keep repeating switch on -- plug in ... see if it can be made to 'wake up'.

Nigel
2017-4-21
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

Normally the battery is reacting so that the LED bar is blinking and the switch button is solid red. Mostly the bar is showing to be longer.
20-30% the first LED has solid green light and the second LED is blinking. 40-60% The first one and second are solid green and the 3rd is blinking. 70-90% the 1st,2nd and 3rd are solid green and the 4th is blinking.
In the video. May be the battery is corrupted through the deep discharge or the charger has a bug. Switch the battery button twice to see ho many % charge is on battery. And look for the Voltage of your charger. It must have 17,4 Volts output on battery side.
2017-4-22
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

The problem here "Peterx" is the red LED flashing which is not normal .... no good talking about the greens and their reference to charge level.

For me .. I would be putting this baby on a 'proper' LiPo charger and see what real situation is instead of this BS DJI setup ...
Sorry DJI .. but when will you accept that a LiPo battery needs MORE than the 'intelligent board' you foist on us ?

Nigel
2017-4-22
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89564 ft
United Kingdom

Assuming you've used the charger successfully on another battery, just send the battery back and get a refund if you can............... no point in messing about....... it shouldn't do this. As virtually everyone except Nigel  (who seems to have a personal vendetta against dji chargers/batteries!!) will testify, the original charger works fine and if the battery's not charging, it's had it.  
2017-4-22
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

GeoffN Posted at 2017-4-22 05:22
Assuming you've used the charger successfully on another battery, just send the battery back and get a refund if you can............... no point in messing about....... it shouldn't do this. As virtually everyone except Nigel  (who seems to have a personal vendetta against dji chargers/batteries!!) will testify, the original charger works fine and if the battery's not charging, it's had it.

What a ridiculous statement ...
I will be first to come up and help in any way possible ....

Did I not suggest switching on battery BEFORE plugging into charger ... did I not say I would keep repeating trying to charge ....

I come from a more wide spektrum than the usual 'blinkered' Drone crowd ... sorry if that does fit in with your own view.

Where I come from .... using LiPo's in a far wider and serious market ... we 'learn about the LiPo's we use ... '.

But we will agree that if 'push comes to shove' ........ request a replacement under warranty.

Nigel  
2017-4-22
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

May be the ballancer electronic or 1 of the 4 cells are down,so the battery can´t be charged. Nigel is right.
2017-4-22
Use props
ToranWhitaker
New

United States

Yeah. I can't even turn the battery on that's how dead it is. Turns off automatically. Unfortunately I got it from ebay, so I won't be able to just return the battery. Opened up something with ebay on returning it. Just gonna take longer than I want to get flyin
2017-4-22
Use props
ToranWhitaker
New

United States

Thanks for the help everyone.
2017-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules