Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Aircraft Antenna mod question
4255 9 2017-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7237cd81
lvl.1

United States

Hello everyone,
I thought i came across a post about modifying the antennas that attach to the leg struts of the phantom standard, it seemed like someone attached the antennas from the phantom 3 pro onto the standard using zip ties and this mod gained them distance, Maybe they also modified the RC antenna also not sure, has anyone seen or heard of this mod and does it have the possibility of gaining distance.
2017-4-21
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

This is not advised. If you want to extend range, consider a parabolic reflector. Cheap and effective. Beware flyaways if you do not use properly.
2017-4-21
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

I use the Argtek Antenna setup. Works well. I do not suggest you go flying 4.5km distance if you first don't know how your drone works, RTH and have your drone avoid obstacles if you lose signal. I tend to fly in mountain valleys.

The Argtek is really useful for keeping signals in areas that have terrestrial interference, and for me as I often use 500m height to get about thick clouds and fly into sunsets and mountain peaks above 10000 feet altitude.   
ANTENNA COMPLETED.jpg
4.55km DISTANCE 31 MAR 2017.jpg
2017-4-21
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

This is from a shorter near 4km flight I did just to do a distance test.  

2017-4-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Which antennas? The two aircrafts you mention use two different freqs for control, and each requires an antenna designed for that freq.  You can't swap out antennas designed for one freq and use them for another freq.

If you're trying to take out the control antennas on the P3S and replace them with the control antennas on a P3P, it sounds like a really bad idea.

If you're trying to take out the FPV antennas on the P3S and replace them with the FPV antennas on a P3P, how will that increase distance?  

Re the latter, if your goal is to increase FPV range, it sounds like a reasonable plan.  My understanding is the 2.4 antennas on the P3A/P are better than the 2.4 antennas on the P3S.

2017-4-22
Use props
WilliamM
First Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-4-21 20:29
This is not advised. If you want to extend range, consider a parabolic reflector. Cheap and effective. Beware flyaways if you do not use properly.

I'v done this mod with a few others over on the PP forum site, it is much better than those little square wifi antenna that come in the drone stock.  Not sure why you would advise against it, unless you tried the mod yourself. While the parabolic (windsurfer) mod is alright for the control 5.8 GHz signal, it does nothing for the 2.4 GHz signal which is what the OP was asking about with this mod.
2017-4-22
Use props
WilliamM
First Officer
United States

It's a very good mod for the wifi 2.4 GHz signal (FPV and telemetry), I'v done it myself with good results as have others over on the PP forum. Here's a link for you. http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... version-2-0.108560/
2017-4-22
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

WilliamM Posted at 2017-4-22 10:25
I'v done this mod with a few others over on the PP forum site, it is much better than those little square wifi antenna that come in the drone stock.  Not sure why you would advise against it, unless you tried the mod yourself. While the parabolic (windsurfer) mod is alright for the control 5.8 GHz signal, it does nothing for the 2.4 GHz signal which is what the OP was asking about with this mod.

I don't have an issue with controller side mods if you are up to them but the OP is talking about AIRCRAFT side mods which involve leg extensions ...
2017-4-22
Use props
WilliamM
First Officer
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-4-22 15:57
I don't have an issue with controller side mods if you are up to them but the OP is talking about AIRCRAFT side mods which involve leg extensions ...

This is what we're talking about, no leg extension required.
Antenna mod.jpg
Antenna mod#2.jpg
2017-4-22
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

WilliamM Posted at 2017-4-22 16:43
This is what we're talking about, no leg extension required.

OK. Noted.

2017-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules