2029 25 2017-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse64c5c06
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17100 ft

South Africa

Hi everyone.

I skipped the P4 because it didn't really wow me that much and the camera to and most others wasn't worth the extra money. However, the P4P seems to be a little more enticing for me with all the added sensors and reivised camera.

Anyhow, I'm just a drone hobbyist who gets drone footage of South Africa and uploads to Youtube. Don't use it professionally. I was wondering if you guys could let me know if for the stuff I do (I linked one of my videos below) whether upgrading would be substantial. Also if anyone has similar P4P footage please share.

Kind Regards and many thanks
2017-4-22
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

What do you enjoy the most in this hobby? Imagery or flying? If imagery is of secondary importance, than you'll not benefit much from advanced P4P camera. For amateur Internet publications P3P is more than capable to deliver decent video or photo. If you fly high above landscapes, urban or not, than again P3P is perfectly fine. Things are different when it comes to flying low and in challenging, tight spaces. The obstacle avoidance system P4P is equipped with may be of great help in some situations where precise and complex maneuvering is required. P4P is more stable and agile, simply better in terms of tight flying pattern. P4P is like P3P on steroids, more advanced and improved in every aspect of this hobby. If - for change - image quality is of paramount importance, P4P will astonish you and whoever else is usually watching your aerial creations. All of above is less relevant if your sample video illustrates typical approach. Save money and enjoy flying your trusty P3...
2017-4-22
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

P4P also offers a range increase over the P3P and it offers dual frequency for the controller 5.8 ghz and 2.4 ghz
2017-4-22
Use props
S t e f a n
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4719222 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Top quality p4p video created by me. Maybe it will help you? With P4P, there is much more room for post-processing (1 "Sensor and 100Mbit).
2017-4-22
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-4-22 00:47
What do you enjoy the most in this hobby? Imagery or flying? If imagery is of secondary importance, than you'll not benefit much from advanced P4P camera. For amateur Internet publications P3P is more than capable to deliver decent video or photo. If you fly high above landscapes, urban or not, than again P3P is perfectly fine. Things are different when it comes to flying low and in challenging, tight spaces. The obstacle avoidance system P4P is equipped with may be of great help in some situations where precise and complex maneuvering is required. P4P is more stable and agile, simply better in terms of tight flying pattern. All this is less relevant if your sample video illustrates typical flying routine. Said that, P4P is simply better, more advanced and improved in every aspect of this hobby. If - for example - image quality is of paramount importance, P4P will astonish you and whoever else is usually watching your aerial creations.

I agree with this post. If it's not about camera quality, stick with the P3. The P3 series still has much life in it. I had a P3S and two P3P units. Wish I had not sold my second P3P before I got the P4P.
2017-4-22
Use props
fanse64c5c06
lvl.3

South Africa

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-4-22 00:47
What do you enjoy the most in this hobby? Imagery or flying? If imagery is of secondary importance, than you'll not benefit much from advanced P4P camera. For amateur Internet publications P3P is more than capable to deliver decent video or photo. If you fly high above landscapes, urban or not, than again P3P is perfectly fine. Things are different when it comes to flying low and in challenging, tight spaces. The obstacle avoidance system P4P is equipped with may be of great help in some situations where precise and complex maneuvering is required. P4P is more stable and agile, simply better in terms of tight flying pattern. All this is less relevant if your sample video illustrates typical flying routine. Said that, P4P is simply better, more advanced and improved in every aspect of this hobby. If - for example - image quality is of paramount importance, P4P will astonish you and whoever else is usually watching your aerial creations.

Probably enjoy both equally. The added sensors would probably give me more security and make me fly more.
2017-4-22
Use props
fanse64c5c06
lvl.3

South Africa

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2017-4-22 01:37
P4P also offers a range increase over the P3P and it offers dual frequency for the controller 5.8 ghz and 2.4 ghz

Don't really go too far with the drone so the range isn't that big of a deal.
2017-4-22
Use props
fanse64c5c06
lvl.3

South Africa

S t e f a n Posted at 2017-4-22 04:01
Top quality p4p video created by me. Maybe it will help you? With P4P, there is much more room for post-processing (1 "Sensor and 100Mbit).
https://youtu.be/PKQc6tqVtXk

Amazing stuff. Can the P4P do RAW? That would be quite a big advantage.
2017-4-22
Use props
fanse64c5c06
lvl.3

South Africa

S t e f a n Posted at 2017-4-22 04:01
https://youtu.be/PKQc6tqVtXk

2017-4-22
Use props
fanse64c5c06
lvl.3

South Africa

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-4-22 05:49
I agree with this post. If it's not able camera quality, stick with the P3. The P3 series still has much life in it. I have a P3S and two P3P units. Wish I had not sold my second P3P.

100% agree. The P3P is a fantastic drone with a lot of capability
2017-4-22
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United States

fanse64c5c06 Posted at 2017-4-22 07:23

Yes the P4P can do RAW or JPEG+RAW or JPEG , all in the camera settings
2017-4-23
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2017-4-23 23:58
Yes the P4P can do RAW or JPEG+RAW or JPEG , all in the camera settings

Whoa, easy on this! He's probably thinking RAW video ...
2017-4-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-4-24 01:00

That's what I thought, and the answer is no, the P4P cannot do RAW video.
2017-4-24
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United States

RAW video? is that an option?
2017-4-24
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2017-4-24 01:41
RAW video? is that an option?

RAW video is an option but not on this camera.
2017-4-24
Use props
Alex SP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112549 ft
Brazil

I did, and even though I don't regret (can't got wrong with the P4P either) I can honestly say that my old, trusty P3P was really something. Was because I sold it in mint condition, 100% fine and with all the extras for a happy photographer. Like you I also skipped the P4.

Whenever I look at the pics and films I took with that P3P in the last 1-2 yrs, it still amazes me the stability, the sharpness, the overall quality of the footage. Even for semi-pro use it's of excellent standard, did a lot of jobs without a single hiccup.

That's to say IMO if you don't "need" the P4P for any specific reason; if you're not itching to get the latest every time it's released; and if your P3P is working good then yes you can hold on to it fine, no need to get the P4P.
2017-4-24
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Alex SP Posted at 2017-4-24 05:58
I did, and even though I don't regret (can't got wrong with the P4P either) I can honestly say that my old, trusty P3P was really something. Was because I sold it in mint condition, 100% fine and with all the extras for a happy photographer. Like you I also skipped the P4.

Whenever I look at the pics and films I took with that P3P in the last 1-2 yrs, it still amazes me the stability, the sharpness, the overall quality of the footage. Even for semi-pro use it's of excellent standard, did a lot of jobs without a single hiccup.

Perfect response!
2017-4-24
Use props
fanse64c5c06
lvl.3

South Africa

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-4-24 01:00

If it could do RAW i would be completely sold. A lot of the time I forget t adjust settings because I am in a rush and then after that I'm stuck trying to fix the footage later on.
2017-4-30
Use props
fanse64c5c06
lvl.3

South Africa

Alex SP Posted at 2017-4-24 05:58

Yip. For 90% of the people who see my pictures they aren't able to tell if it's being shot on a professional rig or not.

The P3P image quality is amazing without a doubt.
2017-4-30
Use props
fanse64c5c06
lvl.3

South Africa

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-4-24 03:56
RAW video is an option but not on this camera.

Thanks for the help
2017-4-30
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Well as always answer is up to you but consider:-
- You already have an adequate machine to practice on
- Purchasing involves spending additional dollars which you may not need to just yet
- A large part of producing suitable videos lies in the editing
So I would flog your P3P to death while improving your flying, photographic & editing skills. That way when you do move up to the next model you will get better use and value out of it.
Of course you could always prang your bird and buy a new one anyway
2017-4-30
Use props
hanske
lvl.2
Flight distance : 298084 ft
Norway

Does the DJI hard shell suitcase for the Phantom 3 fit the Phamtom 4, and pro?

Personally, I think I have spent to much money on accessories that I cannot justify replacing the Phamtom 3.

With testing over the ocean with well above 3 km range, that's more then enough for me.

And with the ND 16, that has done wonders for the movie quality.
So personally I'll stick to the Phamtom 3 til it dies. Hopefully Pantom 5 pro is out by then...
2017-4-30
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

For me, I fly in urban environments and also in the evening time. I can tell you that the 5.8 is huge for me as I easily, easily get 4.3 miles in high interference areas.

The upgraded camera is absolutely stunning in terms of low light performance.

Those aspects in my opinion, are huge- but if you only fly close or in plenty of light- the P3P is fine. In just a few short months there will be a P5 which will most likely have a complete body redesign anyway. I'd wait at this point for the P5.
2017-4-30
Use props
fanse64c5c06
lvl.3

South Africa

hanske Posted at 2017-4-30 10:41
Does the DJI hard shell suitcase for the Phantom 3 fit the Phamtom 4, and pro?

Personally, I think I have spent to much money on accessories that I cannot justify replacing the Phamtom 3.

Yip. Can't imagine what they'll put in the phantom 5
2017-5-6
Use props
fanse64c5c06
lvl.3

South Africa

sky wombat Posted at 2017-4-30 06:30
Well as always answer is up to you but consider:-
- You already have an adequate machine to practice on
- Purchasing involves spending additional dollars which you may not need to just yet

Agreed. I think I am going to push this one more until it breaks before replacing it
2017-5-6
Use props
fanse64c5c06
lvl.3

South Africa

RonHarper Posted at 2017-4-30 15:10
For me, I fly in urban environments and also in the evening time. I can tell you that the 5.8 is huge for me as I easily, easily get 4.3 miles in high interference areas.

The upgraded camera is absolutely stunning in terms of low light performance.

The low light on the P3P is not the best. The range for me isn't that of a big deal as I rarely fly in high interference area.

Hoping the P5 is quite a step up
2017-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules