1369 14 2017-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Schata
lvl.3
Flight distance : 727641 ft
Germany

Hi all!

Going several times through the manual didn´t answer one question.
What happens when I´m flying and the Mavic gets from a safe zone to a NFZ?  Will it hover like in obstacle avoidance situation or will go down just where it is? Before accidently entering a NFZ will the warn me?

Searching here brings different answers from hovering to landing without any possibility to cancel the landing and bring the Mavic away.

To be on the safe site besides the DJI option to check the place you want to fly in I also you the Airmap App. But would like to know what happens just in case this situation occures.

Thanks

Alex

2017-4-22
Use props
Levurmion
lvl.2
Flight distance : 182710 ft
Indonesia

I think the response should be rather similar as when you set a virtual geofence in the GS Pro app. It should just stop at the NFZ boundary. It certainly won't start landing unless some techy cop has one of those signal jamming guns in his arsenal.
2017-4-22
Use props
Schata
lvl.3
Germany

Thanks for your reply.

I´d like to get this question answered exactly. Would be nice when DJi could make a statement about that.
Or did somebody already got in this situation?

Acting like geofence makes sense but is still a guess.
2017-4-22
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Pg. 51 of the manual v1.6, cheers:                                                                                                                                                                                                         
  • If the aircraft fies out of the limit, you can still control the aircraft, but you cannot fly it any farther.
  • If the aircraft fies out of the max radius, it will fly back within range automatically when GPS signal is strong.

2017-4-22
Use props
Schata
lvl.3
Germany

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-22 07:29
Pg. 51 of the manual v1.6, cheers:                                                                                                                                                                                                         
  • If the aircraft fies out of the limit, you can still control the aircraft, but you cannot fly it any farther.
  • If the aircraft fies out of the max radius, it will fly back within range automatically when GPS signal is strong.

• Yes, but it is not about entering a NFZ.
    2017-4-22
    Use props
    Tealk
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 479613 ft
    Romania

i fly in nfz in a margin of areea at 10m from ground over my house to test the nfz ...no problem in the edge of areea, but i donno if i am going furter to midle of nfz areea...maybe someone who made a test in midle of nfz areea we will tell as

is not alow to fly in nfz zones, because of that kind of idiots we have that kind of laws in europe, maybe in a 2..5 years we will not be able to fly a drone anymore.....only in the forest...probably
    2017-4-22
    Use props
    DroneFlying
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 10774613 ft
    United States

Well, what it's supposed to do -- at least when you have GEO enabled -- is described here. What it actually does -- or what it does with GEO disabled -- may be another story. I've seen lots of complaints about NFZ problems since the latest firmware was released, so if you're having trouble it may be worthwhile to downgrade temporarily.
    2017-4-22
    Use props
    Ex Machina
    Second Officer
    United States

Schata Posted at 2017-4-22 07:46
    Yes, but it is not about entering a NFZ.

Oops, you're right.

Here's what the DJI Fly Safe page says:

NFZ will in many cases warn you about these areas if you fly towards them, or try to takeoff within them.  In certain locations, the device will automatically be prevented from takeoff, or if already in flight towards the location, will pause at the boundary and not enter.

Moderators have stated that the closer you get to the boundary, the more agressive the behavior willl be, and while I've been unable to nail down the exact expected behavior from DJI, that's been my experience. I was able to take off very close to such a boundary, but once in the air, the plane automatically started to land. A few feet closer to the boundary and I was unable to lift-off at all. In other locations, I could take off but when I approached the boundary the RC complained and the aircraft paused location.

I think that if you are in sports mode and inertia takes you beyond the boundary after braking kicks in, you will only be able to fly it back out across the boundary, but go no further into the NFZ, so in this case the behavior would be as described by the Flight Limits, which makes sense since the difference in only in who is setting the limits, you or DJI.

2017-4-22
    Use props
    Ex Machina
    Second Officer
    United States

Huh, I missed this before -- this Fly Safe DJI video at 1:10 states that height restrictions for NFZ are on a 15 degree incline as you get closer to the boundary. Makes sense.

2017-4-22
    Use props
    DroneFlying
    lvl.4
    United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-22 10:53
    Huh, I missed this before -- this Fly Safe DJI video at 1:10 states that height restrictions for NFZ are on a 15 degree incline as you get closer to the boundary. Makes sense.

I saw that too and I suspect that that's the behavior that still occurs when GEO is disabled. GEO, however, is a little different, which is why I qualified my answer to the OP. But in any case that video is from 2015, which is before GEO was introduced.
    2017-4-22
    Use props
    Ex Machina
    Second Officer
    United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-22 10:55
    I saw that too and I suspect that that's the behavior that still occurs when GEO is disabled. GEO, however, is a little different, which is why I qualified my answer to the OP. But in any case that video is from 2015, which is before GEO was introduced.

It's the only specific answer I've seen to the assertion that restrictions become more aggressive the closer you get to a NFZ.

I understand  GEO uses different (newer?) maps, but isn't it essentially the system DJI uses to allow exceptions?
    2017-4-22
    Use props
    DroneFlying
    lvl.4
    United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-22 11:05
    It's the only specific answer I've seen to the assertion that restrictions become more aggressive the closer you get to a NFZ.

I understand  GEO uses different (newer?) maps, but isn't it  essentially the system DJI uses to allow exceptions?

My understanding of GEO is that it uses a three-ring approach: the outermost ring is a "warning zone" (you can fly with a warning), the next-innermost is an "authorization zone" (you have to explicitly acknowledge you're flying where it might not be appropriate), and the last is a "true" NFZ where the aircraft won't allow you to take off or continue to fly.

Also, my perusal of the GEO map suggests that the diameters of the rings varies, probably based on the size of the airport, with (for example) the NFZ being larger for a major airport than for a less-used one. In other words, GEO appears to be a bit more complicated but also quite a bit more flexible than the older / non-GEO approach -- assuming that it works correctly.
    2017-4-22
    Use props
    Schata
    lvl.3
    Germany

Ok. Thank you all!
    2017-4-22
    Use props
    R&L Aerial
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 298100 ft
    • >>>
    United States

Schata Posted at 2017-4-22 07:23
    Thanks for your reply.

I´d like to get this question answered exactly. Would be nice when DJi could make a statement about that.

There is no exact answer to your question, it all depends on how you have your quad set-up. It's best just to stay away from no-fly zones. I've heard stories about quads coming up to a no-fly zone then landing in the water. When you have had your bird for awhile you will know the settings better.
    2017-4-22
    Use props
    Adimavic
    lvl.1
    Australia

I took off in my backyard and was hovering with no gps and then gps came on and it's a nfz.  The aircraft warns you that you are in a nfz and starts to auto land with a 10 sec countdown.
    2017-4-22
    Use props
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules