956 15 2017-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Duckster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 866867 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Have been flying my P4 for about 5 months without any problems. Always  using latest firmware. Been flying for a total of 60 hrs..

Now, question; What is the distance I can realistically expect with a GL300C controller in urban and open areas. Over water without any objects between the P4 and controller, I will get about 1000mtrs before a RTH is initiated. In urban areas, I am lucky to get to about 300mtrs before RTH.

In general very happy, however after reading some of the other contributors that get 3-4000mtrs, I wonder if my P4 is performing the way it should. I should mention that I tried to use antenna reflectors without any success, if anything, I believe that performance degraded. Might have to do some more testing.

By the way, I have been searching the forum, however, if anything, am more confused then ever....
2017-4-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Specs say you should be breaking 3 miles.  How high are you flying over the water?
2017-4-22
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-4-22 08:10
Specs say you should be breaking 3 miles.  How high are you flying over the water?

I got mine out to almost 2 miles yesterday in a suburban area using parabolic range extenders. This was with many trees along the route. I actually had to turn around at 2 miles with still just about full signal because I had never been out that far and I wanted to make sure I had enough battery to get back. It was weird though...I took off from a large baseball park that has 4 fields in one. The same type of environment was pretty much in all directions....all with lots of trees and some houses. First flight I probably could have gone well over 2 miles. Second and third flight I did just a little to the left and a little to the right of the original first flight path and both those times signal was lost at about 1 mile and RTH would kick in. I used to use auto for the channel selection, but I recently started to manually leave it at channel 20 and I seem to get a little better range than when on auto.
2017-4-22
Use props
Crack The Sky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 123402 ft
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 2017-4-22 11:05
I got mine out to almost 2 miles yesterday in a suburban area using parabolic range extenders. This was with many trees along the route. I actually had to turn around at 2 miles with still just about full signal because I had never been out that far and I wanted to make sure I had enough battery to get back. It was weird though...I took off from a large baseball park that has 4 fields in one. The same type of environment was pretty much in all directions....all with lots of trees and some houses. First flight I probably could have gone well over 2 miles. Second and third flight I did just a little to the left and a little to the right of the original first flight path and both those times signal was lost at about 1 mile and RTH would kick in. I used to use auto for the channel selection, but I recently started to manually leave it at channel 20 and I seem to get a little better range than when on auto.

Are you aware that in the USA it against the law to fly beyond a distance where the drone is able to be seen with your un-aided vision, (except for contacts or eyeglasses)?
2017-4-22
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2480515 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I often do flights up to 3,5km with full strength on both vid and rc link. This is in open areas with some minor disturbance.
2017-4-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Crack The Sky Posted at 2017-4-22 13:24
Are you aware that in the USA it against the law to fly beyond a distance where the drone is able to be seen with your un-aided vision, (except for contacts or eyeglasses)?

The OP is down under.  Others - like me - have really really really really really good vision.  
2017-4-22
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Crack The Sky Posted at 2017-4-22 13:24
We often get reminded of the USA laws on these forums.  However you cannot tell which country someone is flying in. I have also flown distances of 15000 feet with my P3S, have flown using max height and have also flown at altitudes over 10,000 feet. I have also done flights where I am 300 feet below launch point. I often fly above the clouds as I like cloud surfing sunsets.  I do this where it is legal to do so. There are some places where I cannot fly and some places that have 60m max height restrictions.

4.55km DISTANCE 31 MAR 2017.jpg
2017-4-22
Use props
Duckster
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-4-22 08:10

Hi Mark, something like 100-120mtrs
2017-4-22
Use props
Duckster
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Hi Fansb, is this with a GL300C controller?
2017-4-22
Use props
Duckster
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

HI Fansb, I tried parabolic extenders, will give it another go since they are more directional, I think. I also use channel 31 after the 32 ch hack. Seems to be less video interference on that channel.
2017-4-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

I would put the controller on a tripod or a table and aim it carefully just above the horizon.  Then I'd zoom the AC out full throttle at around 20 meters height.  Watch the signal.  When the signal drops a bar, raise 20 meters.  Keep going and repeat as necessary.  
2017-4-22
Use props
Duckster
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-4-22 17:45
I would put the controller on a tripod or a table and aim it carefully just above the horizon.  Then I'd zoom the AC out full throttle at around 20 meters height.  Watch the signal.  When the signal drops a bar, raise 20 meters.  Keep going and repeat as necessary.

Hi Mark, Good advice, will try on my next outing. Very windy here today in Perth.
2017-4-22
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
United States

Duckster Posted at 2017-4-22 17:00
Hi Fansb, is this with a GL300C controller?

I'm not sure if it is the GL300C controller. I use the stock controller that comes with the P4. I use that with a pair of the slip on skyreat parabolic range extenders.
2017-4-23
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-4-22 14:35
The OP is down under.  Others - like me - have really really really really really good vision.

I notice you got an eagle eyes transplant like myself. Amazing how you can clearly see all the details of the space station with the naked eye isn't it? Best investment I ever made!
2017-4-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 2017-4-23 09:06
I notice you got an eagle eyes transplant like myself. Amazing how you can clearly see all the details of the space station with the naked eye isn't it? Best investment I ever made!

Roger that
2017-4-23
Use props
Bigmouth
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Previously My P4 can go for 2km without any problem, but since the 3rd update, it only can fly few hundreds meter & loss signal. I am EXTREMELY disappointed.  I think the update kill my P4.
2017-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules