Missing Videos from SD Card
10266 17 2017-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JPP993
lvl.1
United States

Hi Everyone, I am new to flying drones and bought a MP a few weeks ago. I love it and have been getting acustom to flying it. I have noticed an ongoing problem lately. I have a blank SD card (multiple ones tried 16gb-64gb) and I format it inside the drone while everything is on and ready to fly. I even clear the cache from my phone to record proof of my issue. So heres what happens....  I go out and shoot 10 videos in 4k 30fps, and make sure the screen is showing that its recording. I am not exceeding the SD space as each video is no more than 2min long. I land the drone, and stop recording. Turn off drone, turn off controller, close DJI GO App.  Later that evening I plug in my SD card, and 6-7 videos are not there. I can see the videos clearly recorded via the cache on my phone, but nothing on the SD card.   Any ideas?
2017-4-22
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

It just may depend on the size of your SD card. If you are using a 16Gb card, 10 videos of 4K could easily exceed 16Gb. Of the videos that you can see on the card, what is the total size of all of them?When you are taking the videos, you can see on the screen how many minutes of video storage is remaining. Have you looked at this and has it said that there is still time remaining.
Also, how much cache have you got set in the app and is it cleared automatically.
2017-4-22
Use props
JPP993
lvl.1
United States

Jenee 2 -   The total size of the videos haven't exceeded the SD card space. I still get a count down when recording.  I was at 2gb cache, but i've upped it to 16gb because I'm worried I'll lose certain videos. If I max out my cache, will that effect the recording on the SD card?
2017-4-26
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

JPP993 Posted at 2017-4-26 19:55
Jenee 2 -   The total size of the videos haven't exceeded the SD card space. I still get a count down when recording.  I was at 2gb cache, but i've upped it to 16gb because I'm worried I'll lose certain videos. If I max out my cache, will that effect the recording on the SD card?

The videos are written directly to the card and a lower resolution copy is written to the cache of your phone. I think your flight logs are also written to the cache. So the main effect on not have the cache cleared automatically is that once it is full, no further recordings can be stored. This won't effect what should be on the card.
There is a limit on the maximum video recording of 30 minutes so if you are under this it should be ok.
Can you see all the videos in the DJI GO app editor?
2017-4-26
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

JPP993 Posted at 2017-4-26 19:55

No, the cache size has nothing to do with what gets saved to the MicroSD card as it's only caching downlink video.

What can happen, though, is if your card fills up, later versions of the Go 4 app and firmware will continue to save downlink video to your cache. Before, if the aircraft ran out of space, the app would quit caching video, too. At least, that's my understanding of how the new feature (introduced in 4.0.5 iOS) works.

But if you've been as careful in your testing as it sounds, then this doesn't likely explain your problem.

2017-4-26
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

I guess your aircraft could have trouble writing out the files to the card -- what if you try to record a single longer video? You don't have to fly, you could just record whatever's in front of your Mavic right now -- the test would be to see if recording fails after a few minutes.
2017-4-26
Use props
JPP993
lvl.1
United States

Hi Guys sorry for the delay in getting back to this post. Still having the same issue. Everything is up to date on the app, drone, and controller. I bought an adapter for the sd cards, so that I can plug them in directly to my MacBook Pro. Today I took 6 videos, because I was trying new ND filters. I get home, and plug everything into my computer... funny enough I could view all six videos, however when I tried transferring the files to an external, I get an error message saying that some of the files can't be read and downloading has stopped. From there on out, 5 of the 6 videos have disappeared. Not sure whats happening here, but again I can view the videos on my phone, and was able to view them briefly from SD card, but now they have disappeared.

I'm not a photography/videography expert, but I'm also not technically declined and I'm not sure if it has anything to do with settings or maybe bad drone??

Best,
JP
2017-5-27
Use props
fallsilent
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336709 ft
Canada

It's the card. I was having the same issue. Zero issues once I changed my card to a 64GB V30. Here is the one I bought.

63GB V30
2017-5-27
Use props
JPP993
lvl.1
United States

Interesting. I bought a SanDisk Ultra 64gb 10c  MicroSD XC1
Link:

I took it to best buy and had the camera section play with the MP. They recreated the same issue and thought it was very weird. We took 10 videos (no more than 5-10seconds at 4k). One video was deleted, and the first 7 were shot in MP4, File 8 deleted, 9-10 we .MOV format.   Is that supposed to happen? Best Buy says to call DJI directly/return.

I'm heading to Yosemite tomorrow for a hike with the drone, and want to capture/keep the videos.... would filming at lower resolution help??

Also, downloading files to MacBook Pro and get the error 36 can't be read/downloaded.... out of the 9 total on SD card, only 3 were able to make the download, the rest are viewable only through SD.
2017-5-27
Use props
JPP993
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

To anyone who stumbles across this thread... fallsilent is 100% correct and a life saver. Needed to upgrade the SD card. Shooting fine now!! Thanks all for the help
2017-8-14
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

JPP993 Posted at 2017-8-14 15:37
To anyone who stumbles across this thread... fallsilent is 100% correct and a life saver. Needed to upgrade the SD card. Shooting fine now!! Thanks all for the help

That's super-weird, but glad you got it sorted out.
2017-8-14
Use props
Jclok86
New
Greece

Hi, I swapped out my SD card and now I can't see videos I record in the editor tab of my app.  I can only view them when I'm connected to the drone under the play button.  Also I used to be able to download the videos from editor to my iPhone library..now once I download the video to editor from my connected drone, I can't download the video from my editor tab to my iphone library.  Anyone know why?
2017-8-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Jclok86 Posted at 2017-8-20 22:14
Hi, I swapped out my SD card and now I can't see videos I record in the editor tab of my app.  I can only view them when I'm connected to the drone under the play button.  Also I used to be able to download the videos from editor to my iPhone library..now once I download the video to editor from my connected drone, I can't download the video from my editor tab to my iphone library.  Anyone know why?

Have you enabled "Cache During Video Shooting"? You can find this option under General Settings. As for the download issue, did you get any error message? Could you please provide some screenshots?
2017-8-21
Use props
djiuser_xNzaAd9sVjfo
lvl.2

India

To recover deleted videos from the SD card, you can use the attrib command option. But, be very careful, because a single mistake can keep your data at great risk. So, just try the steps below to get back lost videos from memory card:
  • Firstly, plug the memory card to the system using a card reader and then go to the start menu.
  • After that, type there ‘cmd’ in a search bar and then simply press the Enter There you can now see something named ‘cmd.exe’ under a list of programs.
  • Next, make a right-click on the ‘exe’, and then a command window will appear that will allow you to restore the video files.
  • After this, you have to go type there ‘attrib -h -r -s /s /d drive letter:\*.*’.

2020-8-5
Use props
kristenpaquette
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2831 ft
United States

fallsilent Posted at 2017-5-27 15:08
It's the card. I was having the same issue. Zero issues once I changed my card to a 64GB V30. Here is the one I bought.

63GB V30

Thanks for the link - Ordering this card now
2020-8-7
Use props
djiuser_DcveyD4sKkYY
New

United States

Hey Guys,

I had this similar problem today where I went out for a 45 min shoot, came home, plugged in the drones SD card into my trusty card reader and NOTHING.

This scared me very much. I tried putting the SD card in a separate card reader, nothing. I tried putting it into an adapter then into my Sony A7sII, which usually works as a card reader, and still nothing.

Out of desperation I plugged my drone (DJI Mavic Air 2) directly into my computer and BOOM, all my files were there in the proper folder.

Im not sure why my card reader wouldnt work and why nothing worked except plugging in my drone (USB-C) direct into my computer. Hopefully this doesn't happen in the future, but I wanted to post this as a "maybe-fix" to help yall who cant find your drone footage when put into the Card reader.
2021-3-22
Use props
free.bird
New

New Zealand

djiuser_DcveyD4sKkYY Posted at 2021-3-22 14:03
Hey Guys,

I had this similar problem today where I went out for a 45 min shoot, came home, plugged in the drones SD card into my trusty card reader and NOTHING.

when I plug my drone directly into my Mac computer it doesn't show up (recognise it). I've also had the same problem of footage not showing up on the SD card . .
2022-7-4
Use props
djiuser_pmJzdZydW7Ju
lvl.2

United States

JPP993 Posted at 2017-8-14 15:37

Glad you figured it out. I believe I may be just starting to experience an issue similar to this, but it’s weird because these cards are pretty top of the line great cards that have served me well for months now. But yesterday I was filming quite a bit and most of the footage is there with the exception of one/possible 2 videos and then on a totally separate card and drone I had an issue the other day where all videos were there but 1 (which was showing on the sd card in same mp4 format as the others but this file for some reason had an error when I went to view it saying “it wasn’t compatible with QuickTime Player. But all the other files in same format are. Very strange.. idk
2023-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules