Odd footage wobble when flying?
1638 13 2017-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lunalight
New
United Kingdom

Hi guys,
Got my Mavic Pro last week. When trying it out, I've been getting a very wobbly/wavey looking horizon in some of my footage, often when moving forward and upwards at speed.

See this for example:

Does anyone know what this is? Is it unavoidable wind interference? Or soemthing to do with shutter? (Not got my ND Filters yet).

Thanks
2017-4-23
Use props
cmd.rewen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2687 ft
Germany

Same here with the new updat 0600 make a downgrate to 0400 than to 0550 will and work with 0550 until DJI fix the 0600 :-(
2017-4-23
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Take a look at your footage and see what your shutter speed is. There are a few conflicting statements from people about this but the general rule of thumb is - your shutter speed during video recording should be double your FPS on video feed. I would recommend switching over to NTSC (instead of PAL) and then you can shoot 2.7K with 30fps - then you need around 1/60 shutter speed. From the light on your footage I'm guessing you had around 1/500 or 1/300 (that about) and that's why you got the video to wobble. ND filters do help - I've had this before quite often, with NDs it's gone. Best of luck ;-) Cheers!
2017-4-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please upload the original video to dropbox then send me the link? I'll help to check it.
2017-4-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

cmd.rewen Posted at 2017-4-23 03:28
Same here with the new updat 0600 make a downgrate to 0400 than to 0550 will and work with 0550 until DJI fix the 0600 :-(

Could you please provide some videos recorded under v0550 firmware and v0600 firmware?
2017-4-24
Use props
fans644012a1
New
United States

https://youtu.be/3kmRQRpK0nM

My mavic was doing this right out of the box. The link above is the video I recorded on the first day I got the drone. I understand you may need to adjust the shutter speed to get rid of some small wobble footage but this is beyond a slight wobble. DJI has had my drone for a month now because I sent it back soon after I got it. The customer service is completely terrible, I have called and emailed dozens of times getting the same responses. "It will ship in 24-48 hours after arrival" well its been there for weeks and it has not shipped back and now I'm going on my honeymoon without it because this customer service is the worst I have ever seen. I don't care how good product is obviously not very when brand new drone footage looks like that^ my business will be taken elsewhere. I do not need a drone for a business reason so I should not have to buy two of them to always have a back up. DJI your Customer service is a real issue and the quality of your gimbal is poor
2017-4-24
Use props
Lunalight
New
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-4-24 02:16
Could you please upload the original video to dropbox then send me the link? I'll help to check it.

The video uploaded or the full original clips (it's rather long)?

Here is a dropbox to the clip I uploaded to Youtube:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qynjnrxu8l5t1pc/Wobble.mp4?dl=0

Thanks for your help.
2017-4-25
Use props
Lunalight
New
United Kingdom

fans644012a1 Posted at 2017-4-24 06:21

My mavic was doing this right out of the box. The link above is the video I recorded on the first day I got the drone. I understand you may need to adjust the shutter speed to get rid of some small wobble footage but this is beyond a slight wobble. DJI has had my drone for a month now because I sent it back soon after I got it. The customer service is completely terrible, I have called and emailed dozens of times getting the same responses. "It will ship in 24-48 hours after arrival" well its been there for weeks and it has not shipped back and now I'm going on my honeymoon without it because this customer service is the worst I have ever seen. I don't care how good product is obviously not very when brand new drone footage looks like that^ my business will be taken elsewhere. I do not need a drone for a business reason so I should not have to buy two of them to always have a back up. DJI your Customer service is a real issue and the quality of your gimbal is poor

Ah man that sucks. I wouldn't say my footage is anywhere near that bad though, and only in certain situations, whereas yours seems completely unusable.
Hope it works out for you!
2017-4-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans644012a1 Posted at 2017-4-24 06:21

Really sorry for all the inconvenience caused.
I have double checked your case and it has been shipped out early today.
You will receive the product soon.
We're constantly working to improve the experience for everyone. We appreciate your support and understanding.
2017-4-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Lunalight Posted at 2017-4-25 00:40
The video uploaded or the full original clips (it's rather long)?

Here is a dropbox to the clip I uploaded to Youtube:

Did you check if the gimbal was set properly?
What's your current firmware version? Is the firmware up to date?
2017-4-26
Use props
Digited
lvl.1
United States

I began to see the same thing. Very bad wobble in some cases. I then tracked it down to the video cache being full. I reset my video cache to a larger size and set it to flush the cache. No more wobble. This does seem to be a problem. Should not do this. Only tested on Android for now. Will try when using ipad mini4 later. Ted
2017-4-26
Use props
Lunalight
New
United Kingdom

It's on the latest firmware version. Same wobble on a separate occasion after the gimbal had been re-calibrated. The user below made a valid suggestion as I think I've seen 'video cache full' pop up. Will try that and report back!
2017-4-27
Use props
Lunalight
New
United Kingdom

Digited Posted at 2017-4-26 05:04
I began to see the same thing. Very bad wobble in some cases. I then tracked it down to the video cache being full. I reset my video cache to a larger size and set it to flush the cache. No more wobble. This does seem to be a problem. Should not do this. Only tested on Android for now. Will try when using ipad mini4 later. Ted

I've seen 'video cache full' pop up a few times, so this might be the cause. Will reset and try soon and report back. Thank you.
2017-4-27
Use props
Digited
lvl.1
United States

Got a video wobble for the first time last week. Unusable video. Looks like the video is projected on a sheet that is blowing in the wind.
Short video -  

I did some trouble shooting and have tracked it down to the local video cache being full. Saw the warning a few times but didn't know what it meant at first.
I was able to correct this problem by clearing the phone cache (general settings at the bottom) and then later set it to auto clear cache and set my cache much higher.

I am using Android device, but today I also tried it on an ipad mini4. It does the same thing but seemed a little less pronounced.
It's at its worst just as the video cache gets full.

What exactly does using the video cache to phone do?
This may be a firmware update problem, but I have only had my Mavic since March.

2017-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules