Do i need a firmware upgrade for my Inspire 1 v1 ?
1421 8 2017-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Roger45
lvl.1

South Africa

Hi Everyone

I have been i n rc for quite some time (18 years), and have flown a  phantom 2 and a phantom 3 drone and an older s800 which was not mine.

I now have purchased a dji inspire 1 v1 for myself and would like
to know if i should leave my current firmware versions as is:

Inspire 1: v1.6
RC: V1.3

I have done months of research on this site before finally deciding to make a post and i have read many good and many bad things about upgrading.

I have installed the latest dji go, and it asks me to update the drone firmware,rc,camera and batteries (TB-47's)

Is v1.6 that i am currently running suspect to any fly aways, what would i gain and what would i lose upgrading to higher firmware ?
2017-4-23
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Just curious are you using the latest go app with version 1.3 ?  If so what device do you use I pad  or what ?

I have heard that the older RC versions like 1.3 would not work properly with the Newest go apps .

As far as updating , many members would love to have your setup, but it depends  on your flying style . Many users say they cant fly  as far on the latest updates and that the camera does not work as well, etc etc.  Some of these are valid while others may have more to do with the go app device .  I personally am at 1.8 on the AC and camera and 1.6 on the RC but I am  getting close to updating again .  Just remeber once you update the AC there is no going back .....you can go back but only ONE sequential update, so if y0u go to 1.10 can only rollback to 1.9 .  

If you are  a Weekend flyer  who just does this for fun then I would say update .  Just  remember if you do update be sure to do the AC first , but before you do anything what version is the RC saying you can update to ?  Just want to make sure you dont get stuck in limbo  with that 1.3 FW , is the go app saying you can get to 1.7.4 ?  or what version does it say you can get to ?

I have heard others have trouble  with the latest go app and version  on the RC  so I am most definitely interested.
***Also a bit confused, if you are on version 1.6 on the AC then you should be on version 1.5.70 for the RC transmitter .  Can you please double check the "About" page of the Go  app, my memory may be wrong but I thought  the compatible FW went like this .  NOT saying  your wrong, stranger things have happened just  want to make sure .

X3 (Inspire 1)
1.2.0.14 - Jan '15
1.2.0.16 - Feb '15
1.2.0.17 - Mar '15
1.2.1.0 - Apr '15
1.2.1.03 - May '15
1.2.1.06 - May '15
1.3.0.00 - Aug '15
1.4.0.10 - Sept '15
1.5.0.30 - Dec '15
1.6.0.40 - Dec '15 - R/C 1.5.70
1.7.0.90 - Mar '16 - R/C 1.5.80
1.8.1.00 - Apr '16 - R/C 1.6.0
1.9.1.10 - June '16
1.9.1.30 - July '16 - R/C 1.7.40
1.10.1.40 - Dec '16. R/C 1.7.60

donnie

2017-4-23
Use props
Roger45
lvl.1

South Africa

Hi Donny sorry for the late reply, it was past bed time in my country so went to sleep afterwards, i will do the checks for you and report back, this will eventually be used for work purposes so perhaps i should hold back on the upgrade for now, i am using an ipad air 1. Let me double check everything for you thank you for your thorough reply.
2017-4-23
Use props
Roger45
lvl.1

South Africa

The about page on the go app tells be 3.1.10

"I have heard others have trouble  with the latest go app and version  on the RC  so I am most definitely interested.
***Also a bit confused, if you are on version 1.6 on the AC then you should be on version 1.5.70 for the RC transmitter .  Can you please double check the "About" page of the Go  app, my memory may be wrong but I thought  the compatible FW went like this .  NOT saying  your wrong, stranger things have happened just  want to make sure"

Sorry just to clarify for my own understanding, you are saying that some people are having trouble with the latest go app version in combination with use with the latest rc (transmitter) frimware version ?

I confirmed and it's showing v1.6 aircraft and v1.3 transmitter, is that a problem ?
Perhaps the person i got the drone from have taken a transmitter from another drone and sold it to me with this drone that have the 1.6 version firmware ?

But will it be a problem ?
So far i have gone as far as using the simulator which works fine and starting the actual motors with props, i haven't taken off yet.
2017-4-23
Use props
Roger45
lvl.1

South Africa

spelling mistakes above, not allowed to edit to correct it sorry.
2017-4-24
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

Roger45 Posted at 2017-4-23 23:57
The about page on the go app tells be 3.1.10

"I have heard others have trouble  with the latest go app and version  on the RC  so I am most definitely interested.

I was not aware that 1.3  RC would work with 1.6  AC so I am a bit surprised , It must have not been a Mandatory RC update at that time .  You can see my chart that  I posted but it may have an error or like I said the RC update may not have been Mandatory .  As long as you can start the Moros your good to go !

Thanks for confirming that , also what version does the camera say it is at  on the "about " page as well, sorry I should have asked you that before .

I would say if you are a beginner you may wish to update   the  entire system because that way when you have a question you are  will be on FW that is current with MOST other pilots on the forum .  Please read my tips page if you decide to update . Most  update failures are User error, not ALL but many are .  Just make sure to read my tips page and NEVER UPDATE THE RC AND AIRCRAFT AT THE SAME TIME .  Be sure that you never even have the RC  transmitter on when updating the AC- the reason is the RCcan confuse the AC during an update and corrupt the video module , I ave seen it  50 times , then you can't use the system and it MUST be sent in .

Also be sure to ALWAYS UPDATE THE AIRCRAFT FIRST !!!   It really is an easy process to update , just take your time and do it right .  
( I pad air is  fine for the go app )

Also if you wish to stay put , you are fine  BUT some of the go ap features may not work perfectly with  the older RC and AC firmware .  You could install an older Go app but like I say , being New you you may have questions as having the latest Update would be of benefit .
**** Before you update the RC , what version does it say is available ?  this would be on the "Sytem Staus" page of the Go app ?  Please, before you update the RC let me know what it is , hopefully it will want to load the latest One , but I am curious coming from 1.3 .  REMEMBER , no matter if the RC says an update is available , you MUST update the Ac first .  I am trying to get DJI to post a  warning regarding this on the Rc so pilots dont get into trouble .

also please be sure to "reply " to me  so I know I have a reminder in my box.

donnie

2017-4-24
Use props
Roger45
lvl.1

South Africa

Donnie * Posted at 2017-4-24 04:37
I was not aware that 1.3  RC would work with 1.6  AC so I am a bit surprised , It must have not been a Mandatory RC update at that time .  You can see my chart that  I posted but it may have an error or like I said the RC update may not have been Mandatory .  As long as you can start the Moros your good to go !

Thanks for confirming that , also what version does the camera say it is at  on the "about " page as well, sorry I should have asked you that before .
Thanks Donnie that helps a lot, i am a first timer inspire user but have many years rc experience and 2 years phantom and s800 experience, granted flying only 3 times a month during those periods.

So far the rc works with the 1.6 firmware, i confirmed i picked up my satteleites as well and it showed battery voltage fine.
I don't want my range to be limited, i'm not going to go that far but i don't like it being limited, and if there is no issue ie motors shutting down (i've heard someone said on a certain firmware and certain atmospheric, wind conditions the motors will shut down" but if there's no such issues or that strange P-atti experience where users experience  the craft drifting away in atti mode but in calm weather, and they have to really fight the aircraft to bring it back. If V1.6 is void of that, i'd definitely like to keep it there.

I will check the camera version for you, but how do you check what version it wants to upgrade to, i'm afraid when i click on that red line where it says upgrade needed, it will start to upgrade, and i don't want that as i would not be able to revert. If i do decide to upgrade in future, i will follow your guides 100% thanks for the tips so far on doing it, aircraft first, everything else off !

Will check the versions for you when at home tonight and craft connected.
2017-4-24
Use props
Roger45
lvl.1

South Africa

Donnie * Posted at 2017-4-24 04:37

My Camera X3 is on version 1.5
It seems like the latest Dji Go wants to update my rc, aircraft and battteries all at once and wanted
to start upgrading immediately, when i pressed upgrade, luckily i had wifi disconnected, it wanted to upgrade everything from what i understood to version 1.71
2017-4-24
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

Roger45 Posted at 2017-4-24 12:21
My Camera X3 is on version 1.5
It seems like the latest Dji Go wants to update my rc, aircraft and battteries all at once and wanted
to start upgrading immediately, when i pressed upgrade, luckily i had wifi disconnected, it wanted to upgrade everything from what i understood to version 1.71

Just be sure if you do update that you do the AC first .  Strange that the Ac is on 1.6 camera on 1.5 and the RC at 1.3.  If I were you I would just go ahead and update .

donnie
2017-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules