Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Strange flight!
738 10 2017-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GreenHornet55
lvl.3
Flight distance : 213222 ft
United States

The strangest thing happened on this mornings flight.  My P4P was just under 400ft, I was just flying for fun near my home. I heard a small helicopter near by, I located the helicopter and he was very low headed directly for my P4P, as required, I started losing altitude and changed course.  The helicopter seemed to change course and it looked like it was chasing my drone and of course catching up rapidly. I continued lose altitude and turned sharply under the helicopter. The helicopter passed directly overhead then change back to it's original course. Has anyone else experience anything like this?

It looked like it was attacking my P4P, it was so surreal!
2017-4-23
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Maybe he saw it on radar and went to investigate?

Without radar there is no way a helicopter is going to be able to chase a little phantom!
2017-4-23
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Captain
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

I experience it all the time, as I live near a military flight training area (within at least a 30 mile radius from Ft. Hood, Texas) and an airport. I believe it's been totally coincidental though. Still strange. There will be NO aircraft in the air. I'll take my quad up, not even to 200 feet. Within 15 minutes I typically notice 1 or 2 helicopters flying in the same area. Again, I believe it's totally coincidental, but it's still strange.
2017-4-23
Use props
GreenHornet55
lvl.3
Flight distance : 213222 ft
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-4-23 15:38
Maybe he saw it on radar and went to investigate?

Without radar there is no way a helicopter is going to be able to chase a little phantom!

When I was in the US Army(not that long ago), I worked on an air defense system and I something about radar. The size of a P4P would have the return of a middle sized bird. Which most radars tune out as to not to clutter the screen.  I can see my rc to about 1400 ft and he was only a few hundred feet away.
2017-4-23
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Helicopter sometimes fly below the required 400'. In Miami, my condo is at about 420' height and they usually zoom below the level of my balcony.

And lately, in my other home, they fly from a helipad in the hospital around 12 miles away and now they started flying above my house going north at a level again below the 400'.

So now,  I always keep an ear for the sound of their rotors approaching  and descend below the 100' to stay away from their path.

2017-4-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I would agree with the consensus that it was most likely a coincidence, but it would feel surreal.
2017-4-24
Use props
Mr Pete
lvl.1
Flight distance : 404219 ft
United Kingdom

If you hear another aircraft then just bring your drone down, if you're involved in a collision you'll be held liable. Stay safe.
2017-4-25
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Captain
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-24 14:33
Helicopter sometimes fly below the required 400'. In Miami, my condo is at about 420' height and they usually zoom below the level of my balcony.

And lately, in my other home, they fly from a helipad in the hospital around 12 miles away and now they started flying above my house going north at a level again below the 400'.

[Off topic] Miami is one of our favorite cities to longboard (skate). We hit South Beach when we're there. We even skate through "the hood" sometimes and we always get the oddest looks from people. Anyway, do you know if there is any special clearance that can be obtained to fly near the beaches? I ask because last time we were on South Beach (summer 2015) I noticed a couple quads flying on the north end where all the walk reconstruction was being done. I'm sure they could have been flying without permission, but I was wondering still.
2017-4-25
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-4-25 05:41
[Off topic] Miami is one of our favorite cities to longboard (skate). We hit South Beach when we're there. We even skate through "the hood" sometimes and we always get the oddest looks from people. Anyway, do you know if there is any special clearance that can be obtained to fly near the beaches? I ask because last time we were on South Beach (summer 2015) I noticed a couple quads flying on the north end where all the walk reconstruction was being done. I'm sure they could have been flying without permission, but I was wondering still.

Grind,

I checked with the Mid Beach police satellite office and they said NO and they pointed that there is a lot of commercial (flying ads) sea plane airport and coast guard activity thru that corridor and the beach is always packed. Also You are NOT  allowed to fly around Haulover Park. So your best bet is you have a small corridor 9th street and 23rd st in south Beach and North from Sunny Isles towards Fort Lauderdale. Either way and to be on the safe side, you need to fly really early around 7:00AM or around 7:00pm when the beaches are almost empty.

Some people will say no you can don't listen to him but again crowded beached and flying heli? To me SAFETY FIRST - FUN SECOND
2017-4-25
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Captain
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-25 06:22
Grind,

I checked with the Mid Beach police satellite office and they said NO and they pointed that there is a lot of commercial (flying ads) sea plane airport and coast guard activity thru that corridor and the beach is always packed. Also You are NOT  allowed to fly around Haulover Park. So your best bet is you have a small corridor 9th street and 23rd st in south Beach and North from Sunny Isles towards Fort Lauderdale. Either way and to be on the safe side, you need to fly really early around 7:00AM or around 7:00pm when the beaches are almost empty.

Good to know! Thanks. The fact that South Beach gets so crowded is why I suspected the pilots were flying against rules/ordinances. These guys were flying right over the beach too (where most of the people congregate).
2017-4-25
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-4-25 07:14
Good to know! Thanks. The fact that South Beach gets so crowded is why I suspected the pilots were flying against rules/ordinances. These guys were flying right over the beach too (where most of the people congregate).

Yuuuup as I said you can fly early in the morning using course lock 400 to 500' from the beach over the water glide up and down the beach you can capture really nice scenery. Have fun!
2017-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules