How far can your go ?
1661 17 2017-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wntmldrs_belgiu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 793281 ft
Belgium

All is working fine. I disregard the red update warning and keep flying with the 1.6.0 on the remote, all the rest is up to date.
I live and fly in a wide open field without interruption or interference. I keep wondering why when I near the 500m mark, red messages keep popping up about  'weak transmission' and prudent as I am I return until the message dissappears. At this distance I can just see the P3P and it is far enough for me.
But. Why is the distance so much lower than what is advertised, I know that CE crafts have lower transmission power than FCC, but the weebsite still writes about 3500 m for CE and 5000 m fior FCC. What happenend ?
Now my point. At first I thought it was a limitation because of the strict radio transmission laws in Europa, but my brother has a Mavic Pro and that little bug flies as if there is no distance limit. I know it uses another improved communication protocol Ocusync, so it can travel a lot further with less power.
And I don't need the 'illegal' Mavic distance, but 'hey' 500m and a red flag, that's not what the P3P is ment to do.
And no, no, no I won't send it in. I won't. Until it breaks. Or crashes. And that it refuses also.
field flight.jpg
2017-4-24
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

That's pretty poor range.
First up, how are your antennae orientated? Any damage to the phantoms legs?
In the map above you appear to be surrounded by houses, nevertheless, I wouldn't expect that much signal degradation at that range.
For reference, my stock P3A happily goes to 3000m with full signal and no warnings, I chicken out before the signal does.

As a matter of interest, why do you not update the remote firmware?
2017-4-24
Use props
wntmldrs_belgiu
lvl.4
Belgium

Paul : If I update the remote firmware I end up like, 100+ posters on this forum with unusable choppy video. Beware I'm talking P3P, and P3A uses totally different transmission system.
Maybe you have a point there. I should try the 1.8.0 just for range tests and disregard the bad video and then revert back to the working 1.6.0. Also the terrain is slightly downhill, maybe that cause a dispersion of the signal...
2017-4-24
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AS far as I'm aware the P3P and P3A use the same transmission systems. I suspect choppy video is more to do with a slow device struggling with newer versions of DJI Go.
2017-4-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Don't underestimate the significance of the houses in your area. Unfortunately DJI do not differentiate between 'loss of signal' and 'signal is scrambled'. Any one and every one of those houses in the area could have a home WiFi router that shares the same radio frequencies you use on the Phantom.
2017-4-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-4-24 13:27
AS far as I'm aware the P3P and P3A use the same transmission systems. I suspect choppy video is more to do with a slow device struggling with newer versions of DJI Go.

'I suspect choppy video is more to do with a slow device struggling with newer versions of DJI Go.'

Yes, I think that is very true.
2017-4-24
Use props
wntmldrs_belgiu
lvl.4
Belgium

Stupid me. I was mixing up the standard and advanced versions.
Nevertheless when I switch over to the much, lighter Litchi, I get the same result.Today I flew with homemade parabola and the transmission stayed green all the way.

parabols flight

parabols flight
2017-4-25
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

how do you orientate your antennae?

In this pic it looks like you're flying from the back of a house. So there is potential for wifi flooding your band there, it also looks like there is a row of trees between you and the phantom. do you have clear LOS?
2017-4-25
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try putting your Phone/Tablet in "Airplane Mode"
2017-4-25
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

wntmldrs_belgiu Posted at 2017-4-24 12:55
Paul : If I update the remote firmware I end up like, 100+ posters on this forum with unusable choppy video. Beware I'm talking P3P, and P3A uses totally different transmission system.
Maybe you have a point there. I should try the 1.8.0 just for range tests and disregard the bad video and then revert back to the working 1.6.0. Also the terrain is slightly downhill, maybe that cause a dispersion of the signal...

I use the latest firmware and DJI Go app and rare to have an issue,  more likely your smart device.
Try clearing the phone's cache and fly in airplane mode.  Also you are getting warnings that could be caused by location.
2017-4-25
Use props
wntmldrs_belgiu
lvl.4
Belgium

Paul. That's where I take off and then I walk to point 'd' where I have a free view over the field. And a very sharp eye you to have seen the tall trees that shortly obscures the line of sight and causes the yellow segment. When there is a valid reason for the signal dropping i'm happy.
Rodger8. I always try to remember this airplane mode, but sometimes forget. I also get trapped often in AUTO image transmission settings where the transmission rate is also auto. I always try to fly in CUSTOM, so I can choose te slowest transmission.And since I stumbled on night photograpy I want an easy screen.

canal lock

canal lock
2017-4-25
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

wntmldrs_belgiu Posted at 2017-4-25 12:35
Paul. That's where I take off and then I walk to point 'd' where I have a free view over the field. And a very sharp eye you to have seen the tall trees that shortly obscures the line of sight and causes the yellow segment. When there is a valid reason for the signal dropping i'm happy.
Rodger8. I always try to remember this airplane mode, but sometimes forget. I also get trapped often in AUTO image transmission settings where the transmission rate is also auto. I always try to fly in CUSTOM, so I can choose te slowest transmission.And since I stumbled on night photograpy I want an easy screen.

Have you tried flying in the same area at higher altitude? Maybe 90 or so metres would do better?
2017-4-25
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

CapitAn Posted at 2017-4-25 15:16
Have you tried flying in the same area at higher altitude? Maybe 90 or so metres would do better?

As Captain says- Higher should allow you to see more satilities, if I start loosing signal at, say 2800 meters, I just gain altitude & signal always gets stronger, stable
2017-4-26
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans987d278a Posted at 2017-4-26 07:51
As Captain says- Higher should allow you to see more satilities, if I start loosing signal at, say 2800 meters, I just gain altitude & signal always gets stronger, stable

Control signal and satellite view are 2 very different things
2017-4-26
Use props
fansbb1c909b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 230203 ft

United States

Trying to comment, what I write keeps disappearing {:4_154:}
2017-5-14
Use props
fansbb1c909b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 230203 ft

United States

4 drones, P3P, P4, 3dr solo and Yuneec q500 all lose signal short of 600 meters
2017-5-14
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

For reference, my P3A uses the most recent firmware and DJI Go, all stock. CE mode.
I have taken it to 3300m with no loss of signal on a very remote area of marshland but have had signal loss at 1500m, at which point increasing altitude usually buys another 500m of range or so.
No choppy video.
2017-5-14
Use props
Rene vd Meer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236781 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

My P3A had a range which was much more then I felt comfortable with (>1500m).
If you loose transmission at 500 m there could be a problem.
First try in an ideal situation. In an open field with no interference and nothing that blocks the signal, with ideal antenna orientation (perpendicular to the drone) .
If you still loose signal at < 1000 m there might be a defect. You could try repairing.  
2017-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules