P3S Goes In and Out of Focus
889 16 2017-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GeoffreyS
New
Flight distance : 9495 ft
Canada

The video camera generally seems a little unsharp, but occassionally its crystal clear and sometimes very soft. Its very frustrating to test. But this footage shows a very sharp image at the beginning a flight, and how soft it has become by the end. It was a 6 minute flight, but the video is just two 10-second clips.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=cZW-mqkENcE

Anyone know what could be causing this?

2017-4-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

There is something odd about your YouTube link.
2017-4-24
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

Oddly enough, this address leads me to my own videos..  What's with that?
2017-4-24
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-24 17:39
There is something odd about your YouTube link.

Very odd indeed.
2017-4-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Goldchucker Posted at 2017-4-24 17:43
Oddly enough, this address leads me to my own videos..  What's with that?

Same with me ????
2017-4-24
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Try this ?

Basically he linked to his 'editing' .....

Nigel
2017-4-25
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

OK ... its the Auto-focus playing games ... as I understand it - usually the DJI stays on what I term Infinity ... that is it keeps all in focus.

Have you been playing with camera settings at all ? Have you tried just putting all back to default factory ?

Other than that ... no idea ... sorry

Nigel
2017-4-25
Use props
GeoffreyS
New
Canada

Oh! I messed up the link. Here is the right one:
2017-4-26
Use props
GeoffreyS
New
Canada

solentlife Posted at 2017-4-25 09:04
Try this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZW-mqkENcE

Thanks for catching this Nigel!
2017-4-26
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-4-25 09:08
OK ... its the Auto-focus playing games ... as I understand it - usually the DJI stays on what I term Infinity ... that is it keeps all in focus.

Have you been playing with camera settings at all ? Have you tried just putting all back to default factory ?

'OK ... its the Auto-focus playing games ...'

The OP reports he has a P3 Standard, it has no focus, auto or otherwise. It is a fixed lens. As the clip is edited, it is hard to tell what the problem is.
2017-4-26
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

As I understand it - the lense on the P3S acts the same as the lense on a common compact digital camera without manual focus. If it did not have electronic means internally - then please explain how you get in-focus regardless of distance to object ?

Nigel

2017-4-26
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-4-26 22:01
As I understand it - the lense on the P3S acts the same as the lense on a common compact digital camera without manual focus. If it did not have electronic means internally - then please explain how you get in-focus regardless of distance to object ?

Nigel

By having a lens with a focal distance that is designed for the application. There is no method in the camera to alter the focus. Pull one apart and take a look, it is exactly the same principle as used in a GoPro.
2017-4-26
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89564 ft
United Kingdom

I wonder if the focus could be changed by altering the aperture at the expense of shutter speed?  The lense is set to focus on infinity so on a closer shot, the aperture could be shut down and the shutter speed slowed... this would increase the depth of focus significantly though with the slower shutter speed, this could result in blurring............. you can't win!!
2017-4-26
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

GeoffN Posted at 2017-4-26 23:10
I wonder if the focus could be changed by altering the aperture at the expense of shutter speed?  The lense is set to focus on infinity so on a closer shot, the aperture could be shut down and the shutter speed slowed... this would increase the depth of focus significantly though with the slower shutter speed, this could result in blurring............. you can't win!!

Normally that would be true, but you cannot alter the aperture in the P3 Standard camera either, it is fixed within the lens.
2017-4-26
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89564 ft
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-26 23:28
Normally that would be true, but you cannot alter the aperture in the P3 Standard camera either, it is fixed within the lens.

You're absolutely right.......... out of curiosity, looked it all up and found this info ......             The lens is a fairly wide-angle design, covering a 94-degree field of view—roughly equal to a 20mm lens on a full-frame camera. Its aperture is fixed at f/2.8 and its focus is also fixed so that anything beyond a few inches away is crisp.
2017-4-26
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

My thoughts were based on the items you can adjust .. I know you cannot adjust focus direct .... but like many things in life - if one is item is out - it can have effect on others.

Nigel
2017-4-27
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-4-27 00:13
My thoughts were based on the items you can adjust .. I know you cannot adjust focus direct .... but like many things in life - if one is item is out - it can have effect on others.

Nigel

It is not unusual to get a P3 and find the lens is badly adjusted, and it has shown up on here quite regularly, but for the whole focus to be OK one moment and out the next is really odd. Perhaps his lens is loose on its mountings inside.
2017-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules