Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
His neighbor shot his Inspire 2 out of the air.
1317 24 2017-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shamus
lvl.1
United States

https://arstechnica.com/tech-pol ... one-gets-shot-down/

Without consequence, this is not good news.
2017-4-25
Use props
Shamus
lvl.1
United States

Maybe the camo decals aren't such a bad idea...
2017-4-25
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Thanks for the link. It'll be interesting to see when and how the laws and regulations do get clarified.
2017-4-25
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

This broke a number of laws. First of all, the FAA considers that shooting down an aircraft. This also almost certainly broke some kind of criminal mischief  law, unlawful use of a firearm law, and likely some others. It all depends on the state where this happened. Unfortunately there was not nearly enough evidence for the sheriff to charge him, so nothing could be done. I'm sure that if there was evidence that the neighbor shot it down he would have been arrested and charged.
2017-4-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

I guess shooting at ANYTHING you want is fair game in po-dunk BFE Eastern Tennessee.  Do bullets come back down after fired into the air?  Can't remember...
2017-4-25
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-4-25 06:34
I guess shooting at ANYTHING you want is fair game in po-dunk BFE Eastern Tennessee.  Do bullets come back down after fired into the air?  Can't remember...

Do bullets come back down after fired into the air? Can't remember...

I think it depends on how many beers you've had before firing the shot.
2017-4-25
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

That sucks, im guessing the owner has to pay for the damages out of pocket also.
2017-4-25
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-4-25 06:46
That sucks, im guessing the owner has to pay for the damages out of pocket also.

Yes, unless he has insurance.
2017-4-25
Use props
keon718nyc
lvl.1
United States

This is a unfortunate chance we all take flying in the sky. People get nervous and think you are spying on them and go all out and think their in the the wild west and go start shooting in the air LOL
2017-4-25
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-4-25 06:34

Yes, but I am assuming you are referencing the velocity and danger, and that depends on the trajectory.  

Bullets fired straight up will return to earth harmlessly at terminal velocity.  Bullets fired at an angle, say like 50 degrees, now we get into the ballistic sciences and they will come down in a dangerous manner.
2017-4-25
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-25 07:04
Yes, but I am assuming you are referencing the velocity and danger, and that depends on the trajectory.  

Bullets fired straight up will return to earth harmlessly at terminal velocity.  Bullets fired at an angle, say like 50 degrees, now we get into the ballistic sciences and they will come down in a dangerous manner.

I'm guessing that the shot was fired at an angle, because it's difficult to aim at anything directly overhead.

And if Joe Bob really did use his .22 pistol in this case then I have to at least give him props (no pun intended) for hitting the thing unless it was close to him and hovering. Even an Inspire at a distance would make for a challenging target for anything other than a rifle, especially if it was moving.
2017-4-25
Use props
Grotto13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

Check this crap out

https://youtu.be/FAILUw3FbKk
2017-4-25
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-25 07:13
I'm guessing that the shot was fired at an angle, because it's difficult to aim at anything directly overhead.

And if Joe Bob really did use his .22 pistol in this case then I have to at least give him props (no pun intended) for hitting the thing unless it was close to him and hovering. Even an Inspire at a distance would make for a challenging target for anything other than a rifle, especially if it was moving.

Definitely best done with a shotgun and some bird shot if one were being safe.  Bird shot loses momentum fast and will fall to Earth like sand after only a few hundred feet of gaining alt.

I have shot some very accurate 22's before so hitting a hovering Inspire at range would be rather easy with some of them, but this would definitely be a lot harder than with the bird shot method.

But yes, probably an angle.
2017-4-25
Use props
Grotto13
lvl.4
United States

2017-4-25
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-25 07:21
Definitely best done with a shotgun and some bird shot if one were being safe.  Bird shot loses momentum fast and will fall to Earth like sand after only a few hundred feet of gaining alt.

I have shot some very accurate 22's before so hitting a hovering Inspire at range would be rather easy with some of them, but this would definitely be a lot harder than with the bird shot method.

Was gonna say get some 8's if you really wanted to shoot it out the sky. I used to be really good shot with 22 marlin model 80, but it had a scope lol Can hit all kinds of stuff at ridiculous distances.

That's a lot of money to get shot out the air. Probably a kid that shot.
2017-4-25
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

The only reason there were no repercussions for the shooter is because they don't actually know who shot it. At least that's what I read in the article. If they were to find and be able to prove who the culprit was I'm sure he would be facing charges.
2017-4-25
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-25 07:35
Was gonna say get some 8's if you really wanted to shoot it out the sky. I used to be really good shot with 22 marlin model 80, but it had a scope lol Can hit all kinds of stuff at ridiculous distances.

That's a lot of money to get shot out the air. Probably a kid that shot.

I have always been partial to Ruger 10/22's.  Not crazy like some of my friends that will dump $3K into a 10/22, but still, always liked them.

I don't think I have ever shot a Marlin model 80.

The 10/22 Takedown is one of the better Aircraft survival bag guns in my opinion.  Allows you to eat if you ever go down in the woods.
2017-4-25
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-25 07:45
I have always been partial to Ruger 10/22's.  Not crazy like some of my friends that will dump $3K into a 10/22, but still, always liked them.

I don't think I have ever shot a Marlin model 80.

Yeah ruger 10-22 is the supposed best you can get. I like the ruger too, never misfires but the marlin was my great uncles, so grew up shooting it. My favorite gun is 270 win
2017-4-25
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Grotto13 Posted at 2017-4-25 07:22
https://youtu.be/FAILUw3FbKk

Grotto13 ,   There is no such ammunition --- it is a concept and never work --- If there were such a thing of
                  munitions like this , the shooter would have to be very close (he would be better off with a
                  bat)  and the drone would have to be flying very slow /// 12ga an 40mm munitions like this
                  are for special Law Enforcements S.W.A.T , Correction facilities and The Military only.
I hope your aware that Correction facilities and just recently made into Law Military Bases are NFZ's
Besides a shotgun would be much better and less expensive to do the job!!!
FlySafe-FlyFree  
2017-4-25
Use props
Grotto13
lvl.4
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-25 14:53
Grotto13 ,   There is no such ammunition --- it is a concept and never work --- If there were such a thing of
                  munitions like this , the shooter would have to be very close (he would be better off with a
                  bat)  and the drone would have to be flying very slow /// 12ga an 40mm munitions like this

Oh ya definitely!! I don't  live near any prisons , would never think to fly near 1.  and  I don't even like to drive past them lol. When I saw post it was coincidental  I had just seen that YouTube the other day and thought it was crazy. Happy , safe flying to you  All as well !
2017-4-26
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Grotto13 Posted at 2017-4-26 03:08
Oh ya definitely!! I don't  live near any prisons , would never think to fly near 1.  and  I don't even like to drive past them lol. When I saw post it was coincidental  I had just seen that YouTube the other day and thought it was crazy. Happy , safe flying to you  All as well !

Thanks Grotto, Yeah there are company's out there that are trying to profit off of the DRONE HYSTERIA
                      that are even selling there Anti Drone Counter Measures CONCEPTS for Hugh profits
                      even though they will never work, in my opinion the best way to apply Counter Measures
                      to any Object be it Mechanical , Electronic or Biological is to beat it with the same system
                      that it incorporates , in our case it would be Electronic.
FlySafe-FlyFree        
2017-4-26
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

That was a good shot I don't care who you are .
2017-4-26
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-4-26 05:03
That was a good shot I don't care who you are .

You might be a redneck . . . if you get your name in the paper for shooting down a neighbor's drone.
2017-4-26
Use props
Grotto13
lvl.4
United States

Haa good 1 above! And totally agreed Skunk
2017-4-26
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Maybe cause i am not used to firearms,...but this totally mental.
An excessive use of force cause some tiny person with a tiny brain things he is the prosecutor, jury/judge and executioner.
I am back to sniffing glue,....much safer.
2017-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules