3792 32 2017-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe DJI Go is a lot more device-friendly than DJI Go 4. I do not believe it's the quads causing the issues. I say this because some people flew with DJI Go and the Phantom 4 before DJI Go 4 was released, and those users had no issues. But upon upgrading to DJI Go 4 the problems started. Keep in mind, they were using the same mobile devices before and after.

I only mention this because I believe the "device works fine with Mavic but not with Phantom 4" phenomenon is less about the quad and more about the apps used to control the quads.

I supposed someone could try Litchi on the Mavic and the Phantom 4 to see how the experiences differ too.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?
2017-4-25
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Grind, I use GO4 with P4, P4P, P4P+ and the MP with no issues. I never used Litchi and I won't but can explain what issues are you having???
2017-4-25
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-25 19:27
Grind, I use GO4 with P4, P4P, P4P+ and the MP with no issues. I never used Litchi and I won't but can explain what issues are you having???

Thanks for chiming in. Many people are likely flying problem-free with this device or another. What I am wondering though, is why some were able to fly the P4 with certain mobile devices using DJI Go without trouble but are not able to fly the same quads with the same mobile devices when using DJI Go 4. I am wondering what is so different about DJI Go 4 that makes those other (older?) mobile devices less stable than they were with DJI Go. I mean, same quad and same mobile device, but very different experience depending on which app is used.
2017-4-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-4-25 20:24
Thanks for chiming in. Many people are likely flying problem-free with this device or another. What I am wondering though, is why some were able to fly the P4 with certain mobile devices using DJI Go without trouble but are not able to fly the same quads with the same mobile devices when using DJI Go 4. I am wondering what is so different about DJI Go 4 that makes those other (older?) mobile devices less stable than they were with DJI Go. I mean, same quad and same mobile device, but very different experience depending on which app is used.

Since the Go4 apps is used with the newer products, it can be due to the app needing a lot more processing power in order to run with these products and encode the recordings.
2017-4-25
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-25 21:07
Since the Go4 apps is used with the newer products, it can be due to the app needing a lot more processing power in order to run with these products and encode the recordings.

Thanks, Jamie. So, when DJI Go (original version) initially worked well with the Phantom 4 (a newer product), do you know why it was necessary to no longer support the newer devices? I mean, were there features of the newer products that were not enabled when using DJI Go, thus making it necessary to move support over to DJI Go 4?
2017-4-26
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-25 19:27

BTW, tried the P4P with the iPad Mini 4 last night. So far, it's rock solid even when saving videos locally. No glitches, lines, or disconnects. This was an indoor test though. I'll let you know how things go once I have put some distance between the quad and myself.
2017-4-26
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

From what I've noticed looking at logs on air data, the more glitches there are in the datastream, the harder the tablet or phone has to work to correct those errors. That's why the range issue comes up for some people and not for others. The devices are recording not only video and telemetry, but they have to deal with these error signals as well. I do not believe the remote actively sorts these signal errors out and leaves it to the device being used. I think the less CPU intensive go 3 app did a better job at letting the CPU sort the errors out because more CPU time could be given to signal processing.
2017-4-26
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-4-26 04:50
From what I've noticed looking at logs on air data, the more glitches there are in the datastream, the harder the tablet or phone has to work to correct those errors. That's why the range issue comes up for some people and not for others. The devices are recording not only video and telemetry, but they have to deal with these error signals as well. I do not believe the remote actively sorts these signal errors out and leaves it to the device being used. I think the less CPU intensive go 3 app did a better job at letting the CPU sort the errors out because more CPU time could be given to signal processing.

Thanks for responding. If your theory is correct, I wonder if anything can/will be done in a future DJI Go 4 update to rectify that.
2017-4-26
Use props
HighCamera
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1213238 ft
  • >>>
United States

FWIW I was messing around with DJI Go4  the other day on my Shield with no connection to the RC and no power to AC, absolutely no connection to any hardware. I was just looking around at flight logs and stuff that you can get to without being hooked up and BAM! App went away just like it does every time I fly. I guess I had never tried that before. It does point away from firmware etc. to me
2017-4-26
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-4-26 03:47
BTW, tried the P4P with the iPad Mini 4 last night. So far, it's rock solid even when saving videos locally. No glitches, lines, or disconnects. This was an indoor test though. I'll let you know how things go once I have put some distance between the quad and myself.

I don't want to say I told you so... but hey, what the heck...I told you so...

The more features that is included with each upgrade you need more processing prowers. that is why when I buy a computer, TV I always go for the latest models eventhough it is more expensive but it will last little bit longer with all the new technologies requiring more spce, more power, faster processors.

Have fun...
2017-4-26
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-4-26 03:47

Hi theGrindLab,  Somehow I think there are more problems with Android devices than with iOS devices. Just a feeling -and maybe I'm just a tad biased- but what i think is that the OS in Android devices may actually differ from device to device, sort of "personalized" so to say, while iOS (if kept-up-to date) is the same across Apple devices. What is your take about it?
2017-4-26
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-4-26 07:14
Hi theGrindLab,  Somehow I think there are more problems with Android devices than with iOS devices. Just a feeling -and maybe I'm just a tad biased- but what i think is that the OS in Android devices may actually differ from device to device, sort of "personalized" so to say, while iOS (if kept-up-to date) is the same across Apple devices. What is your take about it?

I agree 100%. I was mainly wondering why Go 3 worked well with the same quad and mobile device combos where Go 4 has issues with the same combo, regardless of whether the mobile devices used were Android or iOS. As someone else pointed out though, Go 4 must simply not handle the CPU load (or something else) as well as Go 3.
2017-4-26
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-26 06:39
I don't want to say I told you so... but hey, what the heck...I told you so...

The more features that is included with each upgrade you need more processing prowers. that is why when I buy a computer, TV I always go for the latest models eventhough it is more expensive but it will last little bit longer with all the new technologies requiring more spce, more power, faster processors.

Yes sir, you were right. Just sucks that the other devices I had worked fine with the Phantom 4 running Go 3 (before Go 4 was released) but I (and others) cannot use those same devices effectively with Go 4.
2017-4-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-4-26 03:45
Thanks, Jamie. So, when DJI Go (original version) initially worked well with the Phantom 4 (a newer product), do you know why it was necessary to no longer support the newer devices? I mean, were there features of the newer products that were not enabled when using DJI Go, thus making it necessary to move support over to DJI Go 4?

As products were added to the Go app for support, it was noted that the mobile devices used were getting taxed as the app would require more memory and processing power to run properly. Allocating the newer products to their own app would help alleviate that issue. Please let me know how the test run went when you can.
2017-4-26
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-26 08:28
As products were added to the Go app for support, it was noted that the mobile devices used were getting taxed as the app would require more memory and processing power to run properly. Allocating the newer products to their own app would help alleviate that issue. Please let me know how the test run went when you can.

Ah. Thank you very much. That info is very helpful.
2017-4-26
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-4-26 07:31
Yes sir, you were right. Just sucks that the other devices I had worked fine with the Phantom 4 running Go 3 (before Go 4 was released) but I (and others) cannot use those same devices effectively with Go 4.

That is the price of advancements. I feel the pain of the people who can't or will not purchase an upgrade but you can't stay forever stuck in the past. That is why phones/tablets, computers keep updating every few month, processors getting more power and more data storage every few month and then apps need to keep up with everything . it is an ever evolving cycle but hey like the "Tim The Tool Man Taylor" used to say:

GIVE ME MORE POWER!
2017-4-26
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Such conclusion never crossed my mind for some reason, but - indeed - maybe this is the solution! At some point a single, universal to all DJI products application may - and certainly will - became too complex, over saturated with array of features and options. I vote with both hands for this idea of separate, somehow stripped down apps for each device!
2017-4-26
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Another possible solution I was thinking about ... If overtaxed processing power of mobile devices seems to be a growing problem, perhaps disabling some background duties will help to improve app's stability. For example, internal video recording? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
2017-4-26
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-4-26 10:02
Another possible solution I was thinking about ... If overtaxed processing power of mobile devices seems to be a growing problem, perhaps disabling some background duties will help to improve app's stability. For example, internal video recording? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree that a program just for flying without all the unnecessary add-ons might help. You can disable the onboard video recording however and that may help some tablets with the load.
2017-4-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-4-26 10:02

Disabling functions like the video cache would help improve running the Go4 app.
2017-4-26
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-26 11:51
Disabling functions like the video cache would help improve running the Go4 app.

Thank you, Jamie, I'll try to experiment with this approach. Overall I tend to believe that the stability of Go 4 app is mostly related to weakness of Android OS within P4P+ setup, but I may be wrong. Either way things need to be improved since P4P version with external mobile devices seems to be more reliable at this moment.
2017-4-26
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-4-26 11:28
I agree that a program just for flying without all the unnecessary add-ons might help. You can disable the onboard video recording however and that may help some tablets with the load.

Stripping down some exciting features of P4P as a flying and imaging machine may be not too appealing idea, but eliminating the universal to all DJI devices approach will simplify the app itself. The machine is already complex enough to make some of us dizzy ...
2017-4-26
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-4-26 12:11
Thank you, Jamie, I'll try to experiment with this approach. Overall I tend to believe that the stability of Go 4 app is mostly related to weakness of Android OS within P4P+ setup, but I may be wrong. Either way things need to be improved since P4P version with external mobile devices seems to be more reliable at this moment.

I had the same issues with older, less powerful iOS device as I did with my Android Devices. Some issues are related to OS but I believe many of the issues some users are having are related to the power/specs of their mobile devices, regardless of OS. I had the same live feed issues with two different iOS devices and 2 different Android devices, and one of my Android devices actually worked with DJI Go 4 better than those 2 iOS devices. The app crashes I had were isolated to Android (7) though.

I can say though now that with the iPad Mini 4, so far (only tested indoor flights) it's been smooth sailing.
2017-4-26
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-4-26 12:28
I had the same issues with older, less powerful iOS device as I did with my Android Devices. Some issues are related to OS but I believe many of the issues some users are having are related to the power/specs of their mobile devices, regardless of OS. I had the same live feed issues with two different iOS devices and 2 different Android devices, and one of my Android devices actually worked with DJI Go 4 better than those 2 iOS devices. The app crashes I had were isolated to Android (7) though.

I can say though now that with the iPad Mini 4, so far (only tested indoor flights) it's been smooth sailing.

Well, the ability of various mobile devices to deal with Go app demanding features will vary, and this is to be expected. Unfortunately P4P+ version issues are the main culprit here, since we don't have the freedom to swap or tweak anything within hardware setup. Too bad, because the concept itself is very appealing to many of us, myself including. Perhaps I'm too fast with conclusion that P4P+ remote controller is just a lemon. Brilliantly neat design with some bad genes.
2017-4-26
Use props
fans7d83b9cb
New

Iran

I got an Inspire 2 and it cost 8k USD with the SSD,extra batteries x5s and the licenses... Guess what, I can not fly it with my currnt phones and tablets. DJI app developers, big m .finger so far for you and your team. I'm p* off. The only thing I can do is to wait and see what happens next. I thought of purchasing other phones but that's waste of money. For now I borrow the phones from my crew members for each flight. It works randomly on their phones as well.
2017-5-30
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans7d83b9cb Posted at 2017-5-30 02:01
I got an Inspire 2 and it cost 8k USD with the SSD,extra batteries x5s and the licenses... Guess what, I can not fly it with my currnt phones and tablets. DJI app developers, big m .finger so far for you and your team. I'm p* off. The only thing I can do is to wait and see what happens next. I thought of purchasing other phones but that's waste of money. For now I borrow the phones from my crew members for each flight. It works randomly on their phones as well.

That is unfortunate for sure! What are the most recently released devices you have tried for both iOS and Android and what versions of each operating system? I am just curious, as I had debated on getting the Inspire 2 as well.
2017-5-30
Use props
Floreto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3591102 ft
United States

I have the P4P+ and have noticed while flying how hot the controller gets around the exhaust fan areas.  Obviously I can't say whether this is normal but I have noticed that the last two times I've taken the quad out I've had serious lag problems when trying to execute commands.  The controller and integrated screen are separate devices and so the screen must have it's own way of cooling that's separate from the controller.  The ambient temperature was around 90 degrees, could the screen be incapable of cooling itself properly and is having problems because it's overheating?  The manual says the aircraft's operating temp is between 32-104 degrees, I wonder how much humidity plays a factor in this?   
2017-5-30
Use props
MEAST63
New
Flight distance : 24272 ft
United States

I recently bought a P4, (2 weeks ago) and I'm running it on a ipad mini 4. Started out with no problems then this past Sunday the video feed was glitching like crazy. Apps updated as well as the firmware. I've seen anywhere from it being due to the memory card to downgrading the firmware. Has anyone found a legitimate fix?
2017-6-21
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MEAST63 Posted at 2017-6-21 05:04
I recently bought a P4, (2 weeks ago) and I'm running it on a ipad mini 4. Started out with no problems then this past Sunday the video feed was glitching like crazy. Apps updated as well as the firmware. I've seen anywhere from it being due to the memory card to downgrading the firmware. Has anyone found a legitimate fix?

Lately, the only way I can get a consistently clean live feed is to use a custom Channel Mode and use only the minimum transmission quality. This works both in 2.4 and 5.8 ghz. Give that a try. Also, you might try temporarily disabling all obstacle avoidance features. This has helped me in the past. My theory is that deactivating such features puts less strain on the mobile device, freeing up resources for a stable live video feed. Just a theory though.
2017-6-21
Use props
eddiedial
lvl.1
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-4-26 03:45

Go 4 has worked with my Mavic until latest update, now it either wont connect or the app closes on my mini 4 after about 5 minutes, no changes other than firmware update.This kinda sucks.
2017-12-3
Use props
fans4835c99c
lvl.1
United States

eddiedial Posted at 2017-12-3 06:41
Go 4 has worked with my Mavic until latest update, now it either wont connect or the app closes on my mini 4 after about 5 minutes, no changes other than firmware update.This kinda sucks.

Did u ever find out why it closes midflight? I am having this issue on my iPad mini4 too
2017-12-3
Use props
fans4835c99c
lvl.1
United States

Did u ever find out why it closes midflight? I am having this issue on my iPad mini4 too
2017-12-3
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for that info. I have not updated yet. Perhaps I'll update on my iPhone but not on my iPad until I see the coast is clear.
2017-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules