Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4P - Quick disconnect hub movement - is this normal?
739 10 2017-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spirytus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126864 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hello everyone,

Checking the wear of my machine 30 flights in (P4P), I noticed some play on my quick disconnect hubs,  all 4 motors. Please see video.

Is this normal? Never paid attention to this previously but remembering a post I  read about abrupt propeller loss from someone who was quite ritual about  preflight checks and knowing these things go  through some serious force during operation I can't be too careful .

Can you check yours and let me know?

Thanks

P.S. Wish DJI could release some sort of a maintenance manual, or put in a chapter in the operational manual about regular maintenance and what to watch for...

2017-4-25
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The locking hubs are loose. Mine is new and there is no movement at all.  Glad you brought this forward, I will keep an eye on mine. Hopefully DJI will give us a Torque Setting?
2017-4-25
Use props
Spirytus
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-4-25 11:32
The locking hubs are loose. Mine is new and there is no movement at all.  Glad you brought this forward, I will keep an eye on mine. Hopefully DJI will give us a Torque Setting?

Yeah, that's not reassuring. The screws aren't loose so I didn't bother attempting to tighten them incase I over-torque - Torque limits on these would be nice.

Anyone from DJI care to comment?
2017-4-25
Use props
Spirytus
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Spirytus Posted at 2017-4-25 12:50
Yeah, that's not reassuring. The screws aren't loose so I didn't bother attempting to tighten them incase I over-torque - Torque limits on these would be nice.

Well, looks like this a known issue among the P4 / P4P community:

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... re-is-a-fix.103545/

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... motor-loose.102615/

There is a fix as well in the first link. Would still like a comment from a DJI rep (but wont hold my breath).

Moral of the story inspect your quick disconnect hubs regularly.
2017-4-25
Use props
P4P+
lvl.3
United States

It looks like the screws need tightening. I am not a fan of the design of the quick props. Even if the hubs on the motors are tight, there is play in the propellers. That will effect how the AC flies.
2017-4-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Not too careful... I always check everything, software and hardware before flight and hardware after landing. Better be safe than sorry!
2017-4-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I can see if that's available. If the screws don't appear to be loose, then it could be wear in the mounts themselves. Have you already replaced those mounts?
2017-4-25
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I now wonder if they were like that from the beginning.
2017-4-26
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Spirytus Posted at 2017-4-25 13:14
Well, looks like this a known issue among the P4 / P4P community:

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/are-your-hubs-on-your-phantom-4-pro-loose-here-is-a-fix.103545/

Thanks for the post and links. I guess they had a bad run of the screws. Easy fix though. I would do that if I were you.
2017-4-26
Use props
Spirytus
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-25 20:06
I can see if that's available. If the screws don't appear to be loose, then it could be wear in the mounts themselves. Have you already replaced those mounts?

No Jamie, she flies fine and its not getting worse. I'm definitely keeping an eye on it now.

You know what would be really awesome? If you guys started releasing something that loosely resembles a maintenance manual with your products. E.G. Check intervals, parts to inspect and/or replace ...

Pitch the idea to corporate...

Post edit: I just re-read my original post and realized I already discussed the Maintenance Manual. My dayjob is real aircraft maintenance so not having a written guideline to follow is somewhat disconcerning... So I'm making my own.
2017-5-8
Use props
Frenck
lvl.2
Flight distance : 142723 ft
Italy

I also checked on my new P4P +, but I did not notice this defect ... some hubs are firmly screwed (those marked in black), others have a very peculiar and imperceptible vibration ... I will keep this point being a fundamental part of the Flight of my P4P +. But during the flight you noticed some stability issues?
2017-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules