Parachute safety device
1428 14 2017-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7237cd81
lvl.1

United States

These drones cost over a thousand dollars in some cases, i was thinking what if someone could come up with a parachute recovery system for around $200 dollars would you consider buying one? Just a simple one button emergency release, spring loaded like a reserve on a full size chute so it could inflate fast and be away from props when opening.
I think it woukd sell, not only just to save the drone but just cool tech in case you need it.
2017-4-25
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Such systems exists (i.e. Mars), but not for Phantom series. Beside being clumsy and ugly, their efficiency is questionable. By far nobody reported successful emergency parachute deployment. Instead somebody reported false triggering at high speed and following catastrophic drone crash ...  http://www.marsparachutes.com/product/inspire-lite-58/
2017-4-26
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Whom ever comes up with a working item will make a fortune...
2017-4-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

What button do you use? And how does it integrate with the Phantom? If you fit the parachute to the Phantom, where do you place it? How do you stop the parachute getting tangled in the props?

These are all good reasons why it is not a popular choice.
2017-4-26
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-26 20:47
What button do you use? And how does it integrate with the Phantom? If you fit the parachute to the Phantom, where do you place it? How do you stop the parachute getting tangled in the props?

These are all good reasons why it is not a popular choice.

Well, in theory MARS system should deploy the parachute automatically when significant change of gravity is detected. This happens when drone is entering a free fall situation and gravity sensor triggers deployment mechanism. Unfortunately in certain weather and flight conditions drone may perform rapid momentary descent ... If the system is not calibrated properly, guess what happen next ...
Again, Phantoms are not capable to wear such devices anyway. Other, suitably configured and more powerful machines will be taxed significantly on flight time ...   
2017-4-27
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

"if someone could come up with a parachute recovery system for around $200 dollars would you consider buying one?"

I guess it is going to be single use, probably requiring explosives for deployment?

The Phantom already has a sort of parachute, if it falls from 400ft then as the propellers slow it starts to plummet towards Earth, then when the propellers stop it becomes unstable, then the propellers spin up backwards and generate enough drag that if it lands on something soft it can survive undamaged, on harder ground the landing gear is sacrificed but that is still cheaper to replace than a $200 single use parachute, on hard ground the gimbal is also sacrificed, currently that is a bit expensive on a P4P but not too bad on a P4.  So from 400ft I'm not sure a parachute is either required or cost effective.

Most damage is caused when falling from 50ft since it hits the ground while the propellers are stopped, it's falling fast and it is unstable so often an arm gets destroyed, but from 50ft with a parachute, it's going to take 20ft to decide to deploy, another 30ft to open, when it hits the ground the parachute will have had little effect, nobody is going to pay $200 for something that doesn't work when it is most needed, except possibly if it comes with free insurance against it not working, which would probably put the manufacturers out of business fairly fast!

Of course most falls causing damage on a P4 so far have been covered by warrantee.

Quite a few of the remaining ones have been caused by hitting something above the aircraft where a parachute that deploys upwards may not work well.

And most of the rest have been from flying into things at altitudes where the parachute isn't going to have time to deploy.
2017-4-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-4-27 00:55
"if someone could come up with a parachute recovery system for around $200 dollars would you consider buying one?"

I guess it is going to be single use, probably requiring explosives for deployment?

Precisely, in other words, a bit of a chocolate coffee pot.
2017-4-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-4-27 00:55

Maybe a couple of airbags? Last thing you need to worry about when your Aircraft falls out of the sky is what happens to it, would be more worried about damage it could do to civilians and property, maybe a very loud alarm, people would have a chance to go to the air raid shelters, lol..
2017-4-27
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-27 01:58
Maybe a couple of airbags? Last thing you need to worry about when your Aircraft falls out of the sky is what happens to it, would be more worried about damage it could do to civilians and property, maybe a very loud alarm, people would have a chance to go to the air raid shelters, lol..

I did wonder about an airbag, I think it would need to be a DJI one though, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if DJI are working on one given all the discussions on new regulations that are mainly concerned with safety.

Possibly bigger propellers would be a good idea to create more drag on the way down, for most of us sacrificing a bit of top speed would not be an issue, bigger propellers may also be quieter and that is something I would like.

The alarm is a good idea, if you are flying a phantom somewhere noisy, like next to a river then it can be hard to hear and adding a fire alarm like siren would be cheap and lightweight, could also have a button for the pilot to operate it as desired - dive bomber style
2017-4-27
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

State Farm Insurance is the best bet. $60 per year full coverage on the whole kit with no deductible, no fault, replacement insurance.
2017-4-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-4-27 03:18
State Farm Insurance is the best bet. $60 per year full coverage on the whole kit with no deductible, no fault, replacement insurance.

I hear once you make one claim that's it? Does it cover public liability?
2017-4-27
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-4-27 02:19
I did wonder about an airbag, I think it would need to be a DJI one though, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if DJI are working on one given all the discussions on new regulations that are mainly concerned with safety.

Possibly bigger propellers would be a good idea to create more drag on the way down, for most of us sacrificing a bit of top speed would not be an issue, bigger propellers may also be quieter and that is something I would like.

Stuka sirens...

2017-4-27
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-27 04:06
I hear once you make one claim that's it? Does it cover public liability?

I've have a bird take out one of my P3P's. Two days later I had a check to cover the cost for a complete Pro kit. I just received my renewal for the insurance policy for $60 per year last week.
2017-4-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-4-28 02:16
I've have a bird take out one of my P3P's. Two days later I had a check to cover the cost for a complete Pro kit. I just received my renewal for the insurance policy for $60 per year last week.

Good job, it's great value.
2017-4-28
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-4-27 04:18
Stuka sirens...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZZ504TGDpE

Known as " The trumpets of Jericho "
2017-4-28
Use props