Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
ALCATRAZ
5154 32 2017-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ryan0317
Second Officer
United States

Still trying to perfect the art of filming.
A few questions for the experienced. Feel free to chime in and answer any one of them:
1. More related to youtube but does anyone know a for sure way to get youtube to play your video in 4K. Ive shot/uploaded multiple videos at 3840x2160/30fps (H.264) and it will show 4K right away but then it goes away and the highest is 1440p.
2. Has anyone had issues importing files? In this video you can see areas where there are glitches or even black spots where I believe portions of a frame were not recorded. I tried reimporting the clip and same exact problem. Most noteable at 1:30 & 2:00.
-Also it seems like there is always atleast 1 video or picture everytime that is corrupt and unreadable. After this edit my computer says that the whole card is unreadable and needs to be reformated before next use. (Using Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb)
3. In Final Cut Pro X, some of my shots had really bright areas but also some very dark areas. I color graded the video but couldn't get around having certain points really dark and then really bright, it seems like I had to settle for one or the other even after adjusting exposure and contrast, ect..

Thanks,
Ryan

2017-4-26
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

Just curious from what you took off from?
2017-4-26
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

Also I know this area is a NFZ id be careful as you may be able to get in trouble posting your video to the public. Id recommend downloading B4UFLY app.
2017-4-26
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

ryan0317,
Nice and different view of Alcatraz.  Also, thanks for being one of the people to do this so it become harder and harder for others to enjoy this hobby.  Good luck and I hope you don't get into too much trouble with the FAA.
2017-4-26
Use props
Eagle_Eye
First Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

I am also wondering where you took off, coz for sure that's a NFZ area .
Nice video tho.
2017-4-26
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-4-26 15:05
I am also wondering where you took off, coz for sure that's a NFZ area .
Nice video tho.

Considering were the island is...I would be safe to bet that take off was from the island itself.  Not sure how the NFZ was over-ridden, but agree, nice video.
2017-4-26
Use props
boostedford
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

great video. why is an old prison a nfz though just curious
2017-4-26
Use props
ryan0317
Second Officer
United States

There was no NFZ to override because there wasnt one. Closest airports are SFO which is south 10 miles and Oakland which is SE 10 miles.

1.png
2017-4-26
Use props
Tharg (from the
First Officer
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

ryan0317 Posted at 2017-4-26 21:06
There was no NFZ to override because there wasnt one. Closest airports are SFO which is south 10 miles and Oakland which is SE 10 miles.

Wrong....

Where NOT to Fly in SF

Restriction Map

2017-4-27
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Tharg (from the Posted at 2017-4-27 01:14
Wrong....

Where NOT to Fly in SF

Ok - so now we're getting yet again to the point where the local authorities decide to control the airspace without the authority to do so ;) Yet another off-shoot of the drone paranoia at the moment. Oh well - hope the OP posts his footage anonymously to avoid SF nazis and their bakshish requests ;)
2017-4-27
Use props
daishi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1106325 ft
  • >>>
Germany

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-4-27 01:26
Ok - so now we're getting yet again to the point where the local authorities decide to control the airspace without the authority to do so ;) Yet another off-shoot of the drone paranoia at the moment. Oh well - hope the OP posts his footage anonymously to avoid SF nazis and their bakshish requests ;)

Well, it´s not allowed because Alcatraz is part of the National Park system...
2017-4-27
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

daishi Posted at 2017-4-27 08:04
Well, it´s not allowed because Alcatraz is part of the National Park system...

Ahhh... no. National Recreational Area is not a National Park. Different legislation. Ideas are the same - no drone will destroy our rocks with impacts... ;)
2017-4-27
Use props
Fractures
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-4-27 08:47
Ahhh... no. National Recreational Area is not a National Park. Different legislation. Ideas are the same - no drone will destroy our rocks with impacts... ;)

National Recreation Areas as well as National Seashores are both under the NPS and drones are not permitted to be flown in these areas.
Take a look: https://www.nps.gov/alca/index.htm
2017-4-27
Use props
Fractures
lvl.4
United States

Under DJIs geo maps  its a warning zone but not a restricted or authorized zone. DJI doesn't enforce all NFZ mainly just the big ones like stadiums, airports, and military bases. (they don't enforce national parks)

Also one important fact: if you didnt take off from the island itself then you are technically not breaking any laws or restrictions, they cannot control the airspace but they can restrict you from launching from within the park.

I would just recommend if you don't want to get in trouble by LE or have to pay any fines to do a little more research on the areas you're flying. Just cause the AC will take off doesn't mean you're allowed to be flying there.
dji mps.PNG

2017-4-27
Use props
MavicMule
First Officer
Flight distance : 6329 ft
United States

Nice job, and thankfully, you took off from an undisclosed location, so you only were in the NPS airspace.  You've found the loophole Ryan!
2017-4-27
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

ryan0317 Posted at 2017-4-26 21:06

I would not rely solely on the DJI app, the B4UFLY app is the app from the FAA, who you really need to listen to...
2017-4-27
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

MavicMule Posted at 2017-4-27 12:16
Nice job, and thankfully, you took off from an undisclosed location, so you only were in the NPS airspace.  You've found the loophole Ryan!

Until someone investigates and checks where he took off from..
2017-4-27
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

They also have a Heli-pad on the Island.
2017-4-27
Use props
fkindome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 130682 ft
Canada

Nice video but based on the discussions on NFZ, I would personally take  down the video if it were mine to prevent possible trouble. I read a post somewhere, where authorities were scanning YouTube for viloations of NFZs.
2017-4-27
Use props
Fractures
lvl.4
United States

fkindome Posted at 2017-4-27 15:05
Nice video but based on the discussions on NFZ, I would personally take  down the video if it were mine to prevent possible trouble. I read a post somewhere, where authorities were scanning YouTube for viloations of NFZs.

This is not a NFZ it is only restricted due to it being a Nation Park, because he did not take off from within a National Park boundry he is not breaking any rules. National Park service cannot control airspace. They can only restrict you from taking off from within park boundaries.

Looks like OP took the video down anyways though!
2017-4-28
Use props
Cspud
lvl.4
United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-4-28 05:19
This is not a NFZ it is only restricted due to it being a Nation Park, because he did not take off from within a National Park boundry he is not breaking any rules. National Park service cannot control airspace. They can only restrict you from taking off from within park boundaries.

Not true, you can fly around a park and look in but you cannot fly over a park. If the drone fails over the park do you think its going to magically fall outside the park? As we all know these rules were made because of a few nimrods. The rules put out by the Park Service pertain to all park properties and only with special permission are you allowed to fly there, be it take off in the park or outside and flying in to the park.
2017-4-28
Use props
Fractures
lvl.4
United States

Cspud Posted at 2017-4-28 05:39
Not true, you can fly around a park and look in but you cannot fly over a park. If the drone fails over the park do you think its going to magically fall outside the park? As we all know these rules were made because of a few nimrods. The rules put out by the Park Service pertain to all park properties and only with special permission are you allowed to fly there, be it take off in the park or outside and flying in to the park.

You're wrong, the park cannot control airspace only the ground on which you are walking. Look around and do a little research. Im not trying to argue with you but this is how the law works.
I know it doesnt make much sense but unless the FAA makes this a no fly zone or restricted airspace then you can fly over it anytime you want, you just cant launch from there.

See below post
2017-4-28
Use props
Fractures
lvl.4
United States

Cspud Posted at 2017-4-28 05:39

Here is the law in its entirety: https://www.nps.gov/policy/PolMemos/PM_14-05.htm .... below is quoted directly from this document.

"
9.      Does it matter where an unmanned aircraft is used for the required closures to apply?
Yes. The NPS has the authority to regulate or prohibit the use of unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS. As a result, the compendium closures required by the Policy Memorandum only apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS within the boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on non-federally (e.g., private or state) owned lands located within the exterior boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to the flight of unmanned aircraft in the airspace above a park if the device is launched, landed, and operated from or on lands and waters that are not administered by the NPS.  "

2017-4-28
Use props
daishi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Fractures Posted at 2017-4-28 05:19

Where did you read from where he took off?

I think the OP never answered the question...
2017-4-28
Use props
Fractures
lvl.4
United States

daishi Posted at 2017-4-28 06:57
Where did you read from where he took off?

I think the OP never answered the question...

The very beginning of his video that you can no longer watch because people convinced him he had broken some type of law, which he had not.

If he did take off from the island then he is indeed in violation but you 100% can legally fly a drone over alcatraz or any other NPS land as long as you are not launching, landing, or operating the craft on NPS lands.

I personally wouldnt do it, but it is legal.

2017-4-28
Use props
daishi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

If he didn't´t take off on the island I don´t think he was in visual line of sight. The Mavic is too small to be seen from the coast...and it is not allowed to fly out of VLOS in the USA as far as I know.
Or did he take off from a boat? Unfortunately I didn't´t see the beginning of the video.
2017-4-28
Use props
ryan0317
Second Officer
United States

daishi Posted at 2017-4-28 10:24
If he didn't´t take off on the island I don´t think he was in visual line of sight. The Mavic is too small to be seen from the coast...and it is not allowed to fly out of VLOS in the USA as far as I know.
Or did he take off from a boat? Unfortunately I didn't´t see the beginning of the video.

Well some things are better left unsaid aren't they. For all everyone knows I filmed it in my hot air balloon. Very interesting topic I will say, caught me off guard actually. I took it down not because of the NPS area but the Helopad zones which FAA considers almost the same as Airport zones? I don't see the point of having a map that tells you where airports and stadiums are, most everyone knows where those are, that's what I was staying away from. Also when there's lots of other area's that are NFZ's, seems like you would want to follow all the rules not some. I'm the type to do just that at least intentionally. That being said most the drone video's I've seen are violating some sort of zone, most likely the Helopad zones, like the Miami video featured on this site.
2017-4-28
Use props
mstevens
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19078 ft
United States

ryan0317 Posted at 2017-4-28 17:14
Well some things are better left unsaid aren't they. For all everyone knows I filmed it in my hot air balloon. Very interesting topic I will say, caught me off guard actually. I took it down not because of the NPS area but the Helopad zones which FAA considers almost the same as Airport zones? I don't see the point of having a map that tells you where airports and stadiums are, most everyone knows where those are, that's what I was staying away from. Also when there's lots of other area's that are NFZ's, seems like you would want to follow all the rules not some. I'm the type to do just that at least intentionally. That being said most the drone video's I've seen are violating some sort of zone, most likely the Helopad zones, like the Miami video featured on this site.

You're not allowed to operate a drone from an aircraft, so you may not want to suggest you were in your hot air balloon at the time. I'm honestly not certain what the restrictions are on operating aircraft with no directional control near that many airports, either.
2017-4-29
Use props
ryan0317
Second Officer
United States

mstevens Posted at 2017-4-29 22:02
You're not allowed to operate a drone from an aircraft, so you may not want to suggest you were in your hot air balloon at the time. I'm honestly not certain what the restrictions are on operating aircraft with no directional control near that many airports, either.

I was joking and implying filming with some sort of other camera from the balloon.
2017-4-29
Use props
Igor42
lvl.3
Russia

Video is not available!
2017-4-30
Use props
ryan0317
Second Officer
United States

Igor42 Posted at 2017-4-30 00:36
Video is not available!

Fine here it is. I feel it was done with good taste and not any sort of wreckless behavior. If anyone wants to be shocked by drone zones, go check out the latest Eastern State Penitenerary video in this forum and look up exactly where it is on the b4ufly app.-Can anyone answer any of my Intial Questions in my first post??????
2017-4-30
Use props
djiuser_jr2LmY0OSs58
lvl.1
Flight distance : 918163 ft

United States

This is only legal if VLOS is maintained. At 2miles range it is highly unlikely that to drone could be visible to the naked eye. Thus the pilot may have been violating FAA ruling on VLOS. Great fun though I bet.
2023-4-3
Use props
ro_walker
Captain
Brazil

Nicely done!!
2023-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules