Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery cracked question
721 12 2017-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mobilcams
First Officer
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

I have not abused my batteries by any means - this battery is going on 6 months old and last night after I took it out of my P4, I felt something fall into my hand.. It was a piece of the plastic on the bottom side of this battery.. Like I said before I have always been gentle with my batteries, and I hope not to jinx myself - but I have also never crashed. My warranty is almost up on this battery, and aside from it being a crappy situation - it's also the battery I have the least amount of flights on so it is in really good shape otherwise.. Is this something that DJI will take care of? My warranty expires May 15th.. Grrrrrrrrrr
18160116_1282714418449999_318945262_o.jpg
2017-4-26
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

If you did NOT do it... then I would interrogate the kids, the wife, the mistress and even the dog or cat.  

These are hardened plastic and there is NO WAY in {:4_154:} that they cracked on their own.

Keep us posted on your investigation...
2017-4-26
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would put in a warranty claim ASAP. I have heard of these cracking due to placement or strength of springs and that DJI is replacing them.
2017-4-26
Use props
Jcostello
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1861490 ft

United Kingdom

dronist Posted at 2017-4-26 19:21
If you did NOT do it... then I would interrogate the kids, the wife, the mistress and even the dog or cat.  

These are hardened plastic and there is NO WAY in  that they cracked on their own.

Try telling that to the dozens of pilots with cracks at the 4th led on the batteries myself included
2017-4-27
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-26 19:21

These are hardened plastic and there is NO WAY in  that they cracked on their own.

Well it did sir I'm sorry to say. I would like to think that hardened plastic cannot ever become brittle. But in this situation it did. I've examined all my other batteries and they seem fine now. I'm very meticulous with my things and this was very surprising to me as I am the only one who ever touches my phantoms.
2017-4-27
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-4-27 04:32
Well it did sir I'm sorry to say. I would like to think that hardened plastic cannot ever become brittle. But in this situation it did. I've examined all my other batteries and they seem fine now. I'm very meticulous with my things and this was very surprising to me as I am the only one who ever touches my phantoms.

Just messing with you... but it is very unusual.. I might say. I have 10 of those batteries and I have been using for ever???

The only thing I can think of is the battery expanded becasue of extreme heat??? but as mentioned above file a warranty replacement you have 6 month and 250 charges.
Good luck1
2017-4-27
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Jcostello Posted at 2017-4-27 01:02
Try telling that to the dozens of pilots with cracks at the 4th led on the batteries myself included

Hmmmm.. So are you sure NOT the kids, the wife, the mistress, dog or cat or maybe the neighbors???
2017-4-27
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-27 07:29
Hmmmm.. So are you sure NOT the kids, the wife, the mistress, dog or cat or maybe the neighbors???

Lol, yes - my girlfriend doesn't even want to touch any of it. She's a bit intimidated by it all.
2017-4-27
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

Wow, so online chat said that it was okay to keep using it.. Even though it is cracked and falling apart..
2017-4-27
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

Following up.. Talked to someone instead of the online chat and they are sending me an e-mail to send it back for repair! Good job on one end.. I had similar issues before - not sure why two different people would say different things.. smh..
2017-4-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-4-27 10:24
Following up.. Talked to someone instead of the online chat and they are sending me an e-mail to send it back for repair!  Good job on one end.. I had similar issues before - not sure why two different people would say different things.. smh..

Thanks for your update, just as you do, I would prefer to send it in for evaluation to ensure the safety. We will assess the battery and figure out what happened after it arrives, no worries.
2017-4-28
Use props
Imovetheearth
lvl.4
United States

I've had 3 batteries in use since last July and frequently alternate all of them. I don't fly every day! I've read of many instances of cracks in batteries, especially the ones near the LED's where the battery latches are. Since I've read about "maybe it's the spring that activates the latches" when the battery is inserted in the drone, I manually push down on both latches when inserting the battery and don't hear that loud snap. Your battery issue looks a little different.
2017-5-11
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

Imovetheearth Posted at 2017-5-11 18:50
I've had 3 batteries in use since last July and frequently alternate all of them. I don't fly every day! I've read of many instances of cracks in batteries, especially the ones near the LED's where the battery latches are. Since I've read about "maybe it's the spring that activates the latches" when the battery is inserted in the drone, I manually push down on both latches when inserting the battery and don't hear that loud snap. Your battery issue looks a little different.

Yeah I have five batteries total. This one I suppose may have just had a weak spot in it. Still waiting for them to receive it (ups says it will be there Monday) I'll keep you posted.  
2017-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules