7274 40 2017-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Hi all,

I just read this article here about the struggle DJI has when their drones are turned into weapons.
The solution until now is turning large areas in Iraq and Syria into No-FLy-Zones.
Personally i think this is a form of responsibility i support and at least DJI is doing something.

On the other hand is it the role of DJI to decide ?

What is next ?
Samsung, Apple, Nokia and all other mobile manufacturers use the kill button in these places?
So there is no more mobile/cellular network to use.

What do you think?

No fly zones in Iraq and Syria is a good thing?

Single SelectVote, Total 160 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

76.25% (122)
23.75% (38)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-4-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think it's the responsibility of all involved to do what they can to make this mad bad world a safer place. Good poll. Good job..
2017-4-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

You should add Poll to the end of your header.
2017-4-27
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-27 04:06
You should add Poll to the end of your header.

Thanks for the tip,...and done.
2017-4-27
Use props
IVAN01
lvl.2
Flight distance : 559938 ft
United States

It is very slippery road. Too close to making a politics weapon out of a simple drone. Raise to much very questionable points as who will decide Syrian government? UN? Oh yes US of course right? Oh wait DJI is a Chinese company. What if some evil forces would want to cover their dirty secrets by banning commercial quads in some areas? It is the most available to a simple non criminal folks anyway. Criminals do not need all this 1000$ fancy features. 1000$ cost is the best proof against criminals because they can count their money compared to the office planktone.
2017-4-27
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

I have seen documentaries over in Iraq and the middle east of them rigging phantoms to drop live grenades, they literally fly over soldiers and drop them. Pretty scary stuff and its also pretty hard for the soldiers to hit such a small moving target.
Check this out:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/isis-using-increasingly-unconventional-weapons-9928395
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017 ... ttle-for-mosul.html

2017-4-27
Use props
IVAN01
lvl.2
Flight distance : 559938 ft
United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-4-27 05:20
I have seen documentaries over in Iraq and the middle east of them rigging phantoms to drop live grenades, they literally fly over soldiers and drop them. Pretty scary stuff and its also pretty hard for the soldiers to hit such a small moving target.
Check this out:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/isis-is-using-commercially-available-drones-to-drop-grenades-in-iraq-2017-02-25

They can do it everywhere. And a lot of act of terrorism were in the EU last three years. So following this logic we need ban flights over European cities or should we wait till the first grenade dropped on some heads in Europe? It is definitely zone of high risk.
2017-4-27
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

IVAN01 Posted at 2017-4-27 05:23
They can do it everywhere. And a lot of act of terrorism were in the EU last three years. So following this logic we need ban flights over European cities or should we wait till the first grenade dropped on some heads in Europe? It is definitely zone of high risk.

I think your just playing devils advocate because its pretty obvious that there is a huge difference between a few terrorist attacks in EU that have nothing to do with drones ( I am not downplaying these horrific attacks at all) and a full out war in the middle east. There have not been any reports of this going on in the EU but as you can see its happening quite frequently in certain areas in the middle east and is being used in warfare not terrorist attacks.

That's kind of like saying we shouldn't sell guns anywhere in the world cause someone could kill you with one, obviously certain areas need more restrictions than others.

Tell me Ivan of these EU terroist attacks how many involved consumer drones?

2017-4-27
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Netherlands

IVAN01 Posted at 2017-4-27 05:23

I don't think banning potential weapons is the way to follow.
Before you know it they will ban cars, cause you could kill with them.
2017-4-27
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Mcflying Posted at 2017-4-27 05:42
I don't think banning potential weapons is the way to follow.
Before you know it they will ban cars, cause you could kill with them.

Thats what I was going to say. But I think they need to find some way to regulate this, as terrorist could be a few miles out and fly a P4 or inspire  to fly bombs in giving terrorist an upper hand.

2017-4-27
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Soon our military will have a Ground/Drone Unit and there will be drone fights in the sky. Wow, Id never thought it would come to this, but this could happen very soon!
2017-4-27
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

I hit yes too fast.  If I could change my poll, I would.  The more I think about it, I'd say no as it is not the companies responsibility to control how their product is used, not to mention quite a few methods to bring them down now if needed.

http://defense-update.com/20170306_cmic_europe.html

2017-4-27
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-27 07:05
I hit yes too fast.  If I could change my poll, I would.  The more I think about it, I'd say no as it is not the companies responsibility to control how their product is used, not to mention quite a few methods to bring them down now if needed.

I think this is for applying NFZ's to specific areas not the entire country.
2017-4-27
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Terrorists can build drones for a lot cheaper. I look at it like banning guns, does nothing but take away rights from law abiding citizens (and protection in that case). The EU no comment. Like Churchill once said the fascists of the future will call themselves anti-fascists.
2017-4-27
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Netherlands

from the article,....."The vehicles were flown to Germany last month to be tested with operational units in Europe."

So, if anyone of us here flying in Europe experience strange behaviour of our DJI gear (crash, fly aways etc.) we now know who is causing this.
Anyone ever send a liability claim to the US defence department ?

2017-4-27
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04 ... -drones-iraq-syria/
2017-4-27
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-27 11:02
Terrorists can build drones for a lot cheaper. I look at it like banning guns, does nothing but take away rights from law abiding citizens (and protection in that case). The EU no comment. Like Churchill once said the fascists of the future will call themselves anti-fascists.

Close.  It was actually said by Huey Long in 1935.

Seems he was right as all the fascists are currently running around claiming anti-fascism.  They look remarkably similar in both tone and action to Hitler's brown shirts.  I am not even sure they know it either.
2017-4-27
Use props
InvisibleElvis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3192 ft
Australia

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-4-27 06:29
Soon our military will have a Ground/Drone Unit and there will be drone fights in the sky. Wow, Id never thought it would come to this, but this could happen very soon!

I believe the Iraqi military are using phantoms to seek out the ISIS grenade drones. Not at the extend that Daesh are but you could still call it DJI warfare.
What a world we live in.
2017-4-28
Use props
Gallacherboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 778209 ft
Germany

DJI has created technology that has stretched boundaries beyond, drones have incredible capabilities when it comes to flight and filming, taking pictures. I think its brilliant that they can clamp down on incorrect use of their products creating a safe blanket for those who use it for its intended purpose. So DJI do what you can to safe guard proper drone users.
2017-4-28
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Pointless when the GPS can simply be defeated with some shielding tape or aluminum foil. No grenade drone flier needs GPS to find its target.
2017-4-28
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/26/dji-no-fly-zones-grounded-drones-iraq-syria/

DONE.
2017-4-28
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-4-28 05:32
https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/26/dji-no-fly-zones-grounded-drones-iraq-syria/

My drone was already like this.  If it gets a weak GPS signal, it thinks the whole world is a NFZ.
2017-4-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

https://news.vice.com/story/isis ... t-of-iraq-and-syria

Interesting..
2017-4-28
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Yes, but easily defeated with some metal over the GPS sensor so pointless to a point.

As always, the one most effected by these restrictions is the law abiding user.  I'd like to see the NFZ done away with entirely as I don't trust it anymore.
2017-4-28
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

Has anyone tried wrapping foil around your Mavic and see how it flies? Just curious. People speculating need not reply.
2017-5-1
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Glenn Goodlett Posted at 2017-5-1 20:29
Has anyone tried wrapping foil around your Mavic and see how it flies? Just curious. People speculating need not reply.

Yes, I was able to block GPS by covering the rear of the aircraft with aluminum foil and it flew just fine, or at least the way you'd expect it to in true ATTI mode (I also turned VPS off). The speculation that the Mavic isn't capable of stable flight in ATTI mode is incorrect; in fact, it was that speculation that led me to try it myself.
2017-5-3
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

What's next? A no-fry zone over China?
2017-5-3
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's done to reduce liability, it's no longer an option.  As drones get easier to fly, dumber and dumber people fly them.  I would expect many more software controls going forward.  It's a good thing though.  If you consider the amount of people on here that have no issues flying over massive groups of people because they dont "agree" with drone regulations - it's clear a built in solution to preventing other peoples stupidity or ciminality is required.
2017-5-3
Use props
Mustang1993
lvl.2

Canada

A good idea but much like the new laws in Canada for recreational drone flying will only stop law abiding citizens from doing that.  How hard would it be to load the old firmware either ?
2017-5-4
Use props
fansb29cd5a9
New
Flight distance : 274626 ft
Switzerland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-3 05:20

Yes, I was able to block GPS by covering the rear of the aircraft with aluminum foil and it flew just fine, or at least the way you'd expect it to in true ATTI mode (I also turned VPS off). The speculation that the Mavic isn't capable of stable flight in ATTI mode is incorrect; in fact, it was that speculation that led me to try it myself.

Yes, I did it, because I was several times in this area during the last months as a photojournalist. It's easy to block the GPS signal of the Mavic Pro with foil and tape. The Mavic Pro flies and is more or less stable in the air, but in the no-GPS mode, the Mavic has only a flight altitude of 30m. That's better as nothing but for some shots, it's definitely to low.
2017-5-20
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I youtubed a lot of DJI drone footage coming out of war zones from the civilians, it seems like a good idea to have as many sources of media as possible. As many people watching and recording what is going on. DJI should be airdropping 1000's of free drones with instructions on how to get the SD cards out of the country.

It's a petty idea the terrorists will do any real damage with them. They've got much bigger and better weapons over there, it's a Warzone. I don't see Isuzu doing much to restrict use of their vehicles, I get the feeling they see it as one big advert.

Maybe DJI could see a marketing oppurtunity, the Eye of the People - let the world see !

2017-5-20
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Netherlands

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-5-20 13:24
I youtubed a lot of DJI drone footage coming out of war zones from the civilians, it seems like a good idea to have as many sources of media as possible. As many people watching and recording what is going on. DJI should be airdropping 1000's of free drones with instructions on how to get the SD cards out of the country.

It's a petty idea the terrorists will do any real damage with them. They've got much bigger and better weapons over there, it's a Warzone. I don't see Isuzu doing much to restrict use of their vehicles, I get the feeling they see it as one big advert.

Would be a great promo if they would drop a 1000 new Sparks.
Limited range so no fear terrorist will use them.
2017-5-20
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Mcflying Posted at 2017-5-20 13:42
Would be a great promo if they would drop a 1000 new Sparks.
Limited range so no fear terrorist will use them.

I bet a Spark could be used to search bombed out buildings for survivors, small enough to get in small places.

But the air space seems to be quite busy already

2017-5-20
Use props
RedChops
lvl.1
Flight distance : 215213 ft
United States

I don't know, if DJI wants to get in to the business of ensuring their drones comply with regulations, I think the easiest solution would to just put a radar beacon on the drone or something like that. That way the people already in charge of these zones can handle things (ATC towers and the like)
2017-5-24
Use props
IceCold
lvl.1
United States

We Need to Look at #1. How DJI products are being shipped and allocated to Iraq And Syria. That's because easy to do by Serial Number and Who is buying them and such and where they are being purchased from. #2. Also DJI can Kill Switch the Drone, by simply being Turned on in the Country it should not be in. I voted NO because mainly Iraqi Army, are using these to Scout ahead where ISIS, might be hiding. They don't carry much Payload carrying capacity to do much damage.
2017-6-1
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Plenty of footage of mavics wrapped in tinfoil being flown there by the media so NFZ would make no difference
2017-8-30
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Good decision, it's a mostly combat zone and until effective countermeasures are available within the military it is a precautionary measure to limit GPS use.  Don't forget that GPS itself is/can be modified by the US Military in combat zones (otherthan GLONASS that is...)
2017-8-30
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

gnirtS Posted at 2017-8-30 12:52
Plenty of footage of mavics wrapped in tinfoil being flown there by the media so NFZ would make no difference

Perhaps banning the import of TINFOIL would be most effective
2017-8-30
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

by definition: a terrorist is someone or a group of people who use unlawful violence and intimidation especially against civilians  in the pursuit of political aims ... I agree that ISIS is a problem on earth and i deeply feel for all those affected but i honestly feel less threatened by ISIS than i do on a daily basis by usa decisions and actions in pursuit of their own political aims.
Consider the numerous unlawful wars USA has engaged in, almost continuosly, lets say during the last 60 years , how many civilians it has directly and indirectly caused the unlawful murder or maiming of, (how much life it has taken and families destroyed) how many villages, towns, cities and private property it has desimated (how much property it has destroyed), how many groups of people it has armed who we now call terrorists.
Seems to me that the only countries usa is not fighting with are those who it has managed to intimidate into compliance.
I do not think that it is the responsibility of dji to manage world peace but if somehow they could contribute to that end then i applaud them for their efforts.
2017-11-10
Use props
Sunny D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70883 ft
  • >>>
United States

If there’s one thing that’ll stop terrorists, it’s rules
2017-11-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced