Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
10,000 Mah Battery setup
1841 7 2017-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pocket Sized
lvl.1

United States

For the past couple of years, ive had a couple of 5000Mah 3S LiPos laying around after I lost the aircraft they went in (long story). I began wondering if i could use these on my P2 (no gimbal, short range FPV equipped)

In short: I soldered a Deans connector in parallel with the wires that go from the stock battery to the main board.

Because capacity monitoring is done in the smart battery and relayed to the drone digitally, this setup wont interfere with the battery indicator. All it will see is less current draw than usual, and the low battery signal will be accurate for both packs because they're forced to remain at the same voltage.

I've yet to fly it with the second battery attached (though ground tests so far look promising ) and chances are I'll scrap this idea if I don't see improvements in the range of 35-50%. I also need to weigh the craft to get an idea of how much stress I'm gonna be putting on the speed controllers.

What do y'all think of this (admittedly dumb) idea?
2017-4-27
Use props
Mr Pete
lvl.2
Flight distance : 404219 ft
United Kingdom

I like the idea and would like to see a video of it flying. Thanks
2017-4-27
Use props
Pocket Sized
lvl.1

United States

Mr Pete Posted at 2017-4-27 08:04
I like the idea and would like to see a video of it flying. Thanks

Can do! Tonight I'm supposed to receive a replacement GPS module that will (hopefully) let me fly again.
2017-4-27
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

My buddy added a 10000 mah multistar to his P3A, so yeah, I'd say it's possible!  

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... age-77#post-1142628
2017-4-27
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yea I do this with the Inspire 1 right now.  Works good.
2017-4-27
Use props
Pocket Sized
lvl.1

United States

I tried this setup the other day after finally repairing my drone. I'm not sure if I will personally use it.

I will probably experiment with this in cooler weather to alleviate stress on the electronics, because I really "feel" like the speed controllers & motors are struggling under the increased weight.
2017-5-9
Use props
Homer Simpson
lvl.4

Canada

I have seen other drones on other sites and videos with different battery setups. Even with extra battery added. I was going to buy a drone last year which had after market batteries, and the guy showed me them working and yup, it works. Good luck.
2017-5-10
Use props
Pocket Sized
lvl.1

United States

Back to the drawing board I guess.

The baseline endurance for a single battery on my drone is 21 minutes. I flew the 10Ah setup and got 16 minutes. The stock battery was noticeably warmer than usual and the external one was also slightly warm, so surely current was being drawn from both batteries.

Gonna try again, this time making sure both batteries are 100% charged.
2017-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules