Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Magic got drowned in a river - It lives to fly again
668 4 2017-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc94c42ca
lvl.1
Trinidad and Tobago

I thought I'd share this experience with you. I was flying over a river in a narrow valley. Did not aquire GPS so I was in ATTI mode.
A down draft pushed the Mavic against the rock (backwards so no proximity sensor). The first strike with the rock spun the Mavic round 180 degrees. At this point I was looking at the Mavic not the screen, so I didn't notice the spin. So, pressing the forward button to get out of there just made things worse and it hit the rock again and it flipped over and splashed into the water. (Luckily the water was crystal clear and my son was able to recover it within 3 minutes or less) but it got a full soaking.
As soon as it was recovered from the river, lights were still flashing. So I removed the battery immediately. Within hours I was opening up the Mavic to see how badly water soaked it was. Water was in every nook and cranny. I found some videos of how to teardown the Mavic. I have all the tools from tinkering with laptops and iPhones.

I just reassembled the Mavic having had it in rice and silica gel pacs for 5 days. Everything works on it and it flies and takes pics and vid. I think there are some key issues to remember from this experience: In the event of a drowning in fresh water,
1. Recover ASAP (mine was  3 mins or less).
2. Disconnect the battery first so that all power ceases through the motherboard.
3. Get the case open and key components out ASAP to start the drying process.
4. Get the electronics into drying absorption material like rice and silica gel ASAP.
My only loss was the battery. I couldn't open it and couldn't see if there is water inside. That's a small price to pay vs. the loss of the drone.

Partially disassembled Mavic

Partially disassembled Mavic
2017-4-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job..
2017-4-27
Use props
Burmman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182142 ft
United States

Wow you got lucky. Great news that it's all back together and working.
2017-4-27
Use props
hungdang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4931706 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Good job
2017-4-27
Use props
dronist
Captain