Defective Plastic Gimbal Covers?
2344 27 2017-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobertoTaylor
New
Flight distance : 164386 ft
United States

Well, I've owned my Mavic Pro for about 4 weeks now. I purchased the Fly More package with the additional accessories and the paded carrying case. Let me tell you that I'm extremely careful with my equipment, and it always stays inside the bag when I'm not using it. Well, after a week of owning my Mavic, I noticed that one of the small plastic tabs on the clear gimbal cover had broken off. I didn't think much of it until a couple of days later the large tab that actually locks it into place broke off. I thought maybe it was the way I put the Mavic in the bag or something that caused it to break, so I ordered a new one.

The new gimbal cover came in, and after only a week of having it, and only using the Mavic maybe 3 times, I pulled it out of the bag the other day and noticed that again one of the small tabs had broken off. Yesterday I posted in a DJI Mavic group on Facebook to see if anyone had the same experience, and I had about 20 people comment that they had the same problem. At this point I don't know if it's a design flaw in the cover, or the plastic is just poor quality.

I'm making this post in hopes that DJI sees it and looks into this problem. Has anyone else here had the same experience with their covers?

Small tab broken

Small tab broken

Large tab broken

Large tab broken
2017-4-28
Use props
fans6916e6f9
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1790384 ft
Canada

The stock unit is very weak and mine also failed. We need a better solution.
2017-4-28
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans6916e6f9 Posted at 2017-4-28 06:23
The stock unit is very weak and mine also failed. We need a better solution.

I got this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017-4-28
Use props
RobertoTaylor
New
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-28 08:27

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7O7HMR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just ordered this. Hopefully it's better than the clear DJI covers.
2017-4-28
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RobertoTaylor Posted at 2017-4-28 08:32
Just ordered this. Hopefully it's better than the clear DJI covers.

I use it when having fun but NOT for shooting. The plastic is stronger than the one that came with the MAVIC.
2017-4-28
Use props
RobertoTaylor
New
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-28 08:35
I use it when having fun but NOT for shooting. The plastic is stronger than the one that came with the MAVIC.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be using it while recording either. Thanks for the link!
2017-4-28
Use props
ChrisH_Photos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133694 ft
South Africa

Agree. The DJI unit is garbage.
Mine broke on day 1, and I'm super careful with my stuff. Now I just hold it on with a thick rubber band. An easy and simple solution
2017-4-28
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

FWIW I'm over a hundred flights in and my cover is perfect, seems pretty robust to me. Maybe there was a bad production run?
2017-4-28
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-28 09:44
FWIW I'm over a hundred flights in and my cover is perfect, seems pretty robust to me. Maybe there was a bad production run?

Same here...but I bought it to see if I can fly and shoot with it but sun reflection was obvious when your turn around.

With anything, you need to handle it with extra care.

Now the rubber cover stretched out somehow and it keep sliding off???
2017-4-28
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Pfff, i got my repaired Mavic back from DJI with a broken gimball cover, which was perfectly fine when i sent it in to them.
So they having problems with them as well.

Subsequently these last 10 weeks i am waiting/mailing/reminding DJI to send me a replacement gimbal cover.
Guess i will receive it after i get back from Mars,.......somewhere around 2020.
2017-4-28
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7O7HMR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My OEM cover is fine and I have had my Mavic since December but I also purchased this one so I could fly with a cover on and it does what it is supposed to do and appears to be more sturdy than the OEM unit.
2017-4-28
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mcflying Posted at 2017-4-28 10:38
Pfff, i got my repaired Mavic back from DJI with a broken gimball cover, which was perfectly fine when i sent it in to them.

Or when   fly...
2017-4-28
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2017-4-28 12:44
My OEM cover is fine and I have had my Mavic since December but I also purchased this one so I could fly with a cover on and it does what it is supposed to do and appears to be more sturdy than the OEM unit.

Yes it is and the black color really nice...
2017-4-28
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2017-4-28 12:44

By the way... I love your avatar... but help me here... I know your MP loves to drink BUT what is he doing with his right hand???

Is he Clipping nose hair or... ???  
2017-4-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Mcflying Posted at 2017-4-28 10:38

What's your case number, please?
You should not have been kept waiting for about 10 weeks for a replacement gimbal cover, I will escalate it with the local designate department and update it for you.
2017-4-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Thank you for your feedback, I've reported it to the engineers about this case.
Sincerely sorry for the trouble caused, we are working hard to improve so you will have a better experience with us.
2017-4-29
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-4-29 02:45
What's your case number, please?
You should not have been kept waiting for about 10 weeks for a replacement gimbal cover, I will escalate it with the local designate department and update it for you.

Hi Nathalia,

It's just a lot of back and forth mailing, pretty annoying.
But there are worst things in life
My case number is CAS-477339-K7H7B1
2017-4-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Mcflying Posted at 2017-4-29 06:41
Hi Nathalia,

It's just a lot of back and forth mailing, pretty annoying.

I feel so sorry about the situation, I've reported this case to the local designated team and asked them to help you handle it soon.
2017-4-30
Use props
SeaComms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568222 ft
Australia

Mine was cracked on the clip part on arrival brand new.  I never bothered to send it back or complain, but thats just me.  It's still holding in there about 10 flights (removals) in but I am sure that one day it will simply fall in half and break.  When that day happens I will prob just hole it on with a rubber band. I dont fly with it, it's only there for protection when packed up.
2017-4-30
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-28 13:01
By the way... I love your avatar... but help me here... I know your MP loves to drink BUT what is he doing with his right hand???

Is he Clipping nose hair or... ???

haha....I actually found that picture on the internet and made it my Avatar.....does kind of look like he is trimming the mustache or nose hairs
2017-4-30
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2017-4-30 18:05
haha....I actually found that picture on the internet and made it my Avatar.....does kind of look like he is trimming the mustache or nose hairs

Hey, fine with me...
2017-4-30
Use props
Stooky
lvl.2
United States

Yeah Mine Broke first 5 min during unboxing lol
2017-4-30
Use props
Trehanek
New

Hong Kong

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-5-3
Use props
Borny
lvl.3
Flight distance : 799665 ft
Australia

I have exactly the same, pretty poor quality product this cover.
2017-8-30
Use props
Walteroma
lvl.2
Flight distance : 218166 ft
Italy

Caution I installed it on my Mavic, video clips appear on black edges, and we do not talk about lifting the gimbal
2017-8-30
Use props
Walteroma
lvl.2
Flight distance : 218166 ft
Italy

#Quick Reply Here#Same problem I ordered- https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1, as reported by Dji, cow cow goodbye shooting, side and top bands
2017-8-30
Use props
Borny
lvl.3
Flight distance : 799665 ft
Australia

Same problem as everyone else. I glued a small piece of aluminium wire in place & filed the end down to locate it on the aircraft. Done in about 20mins. Solid as now.
P1004929.JPG
2017-12-27
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Im on my 3rd cover now....and even that is now held on with an elastic band.  The things really arent well built.
2017-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules