Does the Mavic Have a Karma Problem? (Inflight Shutdowns)
2621 30 2017-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

It seems some users are starting to worry about the possibility of their Mavic dropping from the sky, given the recent incidents of unexplained inflight shutdowns. Some say it's nothing to worry about, whiles others are starting to feel jittery.

I decided to post this thread to share with you all the data that I've been gathering on this issue. Shortly after I started to see a few of these cases being reported on MavicPilots and the DJI forums, I decided to start logging as much information as I could, fearing there could be a trend. My data so far includes 14 reported incidents. One of those happened back in February, while all the other 13 were posted in April. Now, I'll be the first to admit that 14 reported cases is not a huge number, given the thousands of Mavics that must be in the air every day. However, 13 reported cases within just a few weeks does not seem insignificant, and we don't know how many others have never been reported.

In pretty much all of these cases, there has been no root cause attributed to the crash, aside from the obvious complete power cut. @BudWalker, @Robbyg and some others have looked at several of the available .dat files, and while there was an apparent anomaly seen in some of them, it isn't present (or missing, to be more accurate) in all cases. DJI seems to be covering these recent crashes under warranty, indicating there was no pilot error.

I don't want to be alarmist, and that's part of why I didn't post my findings earlier, but I now think perhaps it would be good for everybody to be able to track this data as well. I will leave the data here for others to decide what they think.

Here's a link to the data: Mavic Karma - Airtable

(Cross-posted here as well: http://mavicpilots.com/threads/d ... ht-shutdowns.15008/ )
2017-4-28
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Thanks, for putting all that information together and for posting this, Jason. Hopefully DJI will be able to figure out what's going on and identify any others that are at risk before they crash too. In the meantime, it's encouraging to hear that they've been taking responsibility for this in most cases.
2017-4-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It's quite an assignment you have put together and you must be commended for this

However, From your 14 cases 4 have been covered by dji so far, dat anomaly only found in 2 and no dat anomaly in 1, it would also seem fair from studying all 14 logs and dat files that you would have some definitive answer as to what might causing these crashes, but you don't,

Crashes are a daily occurrence as we all know, we only need to read around here about the delays in repairing Mavics and getting them back to there owners. So we are aware that there are many crashes judging by delays at repair facility I would say hundreds.

So if you are including February in your 14 that makes about 1 every 5 days and as I have said 4 have been covered by dji under warranty only 2 show dat anomaly.

I don't know how many dji would have sold throughout the month of march, but considering that we are coming into longer days spring and summer and so on, think it would be fair to say a lot.

So I think with all the information you have you still have not been able in your findings to find anything definitively wrong .
But I think although it's not your intention you will have fuelled the fire for anyone else to come along and try to gather comfort under the blanket you have laid out.

Lastly because it's out there now , I do think dji need to come forward and let their customers know , if there is any merit in what you are saying, and if all those particularly those who purchased in march, can fly their Mavics safely.
Many of your 14 are new to flying drones, as most of Mavic owners are, so this thread will create many to worry and be anxious about flying and enjoying their AC.
2017-4-28
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

My thoughts:

Probably 50,000 Mavics sold to date?  Just a guess based on limited availability.  Typical consumer level quality control used to be at 93%, but I am guessing it is much higher these days at 98% perfectly working product.  If one does the math and uses a 2% failure rate, that is over 1000+ aircraft with issues.  If the failure rate is 3%, now we are at 1500.  If 100K Mavics have been sold to date (A possibility), you might be as high as 3000 defective units.

It is really a numbers game.  If yours works and has worked for some time, you are probably past the threshhold of bad product so I wouldn't worry about it.  With that said, after a number of years, expect something to fail.
2017-4-28
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I think that one thing you also need to look at is the experience of the drone flier. From what I can remember, most, if not all, are new to drones. I am not saying this is the reason, but it certainly is a factor.
I think the new pilots seem to think the Mavic is bullet proof whereas, pilots who have been around for a while, know that anything can fail and make allowances for that.
2017-4-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-4-28 20:26
I think that one thing you also need to look at is the experience of the drone flier. From what I can remember, most, if not all, are new to drones. I am not saying this is the reason, but it certainly is a factor.
I think the new pilots seem to think the Mavic is bullet proof whereas, pilots who have been around for a while, know that anything can fail and make allowances for that.

I kinda take a similar view. But I tend to be very pragmatic in my views, as most people around here will know.
If you take the month of January, lots of crashes, again all with similar problems, almost all pilots had loads of experience flying dji products, yet their Mavics were just taking off and hitting the wall or the house or fence, none of those who crashed had any control over their Mavic and immediately blamed dji for a problem with their Mavic,
But the truth was most of these cases where taking off in Atti mode, not waiting for gps lock and as a result no control and crashed.
So if you take these new drop out of the sky crashes, dji have put a number of them down to AC malfunction, so this tells us that there is a problem with some, how many we don't know as those who got warranty have not come back with what exactly happened.
I also think when solicit people and tell them that we think there is a problem with Mavic dropping out of the sky, then all crashes can be tweaked to have similar results.
I will give you a couple of scenarios, and although they may well have just cut power and dropped out of the sky, we just don't know yet.
1/ A guys Mavic falls out of the sky after just flying for 14 minutes, so what happened, well he read the Manual he fully charged the battery he did all preflight checks, but then he took it out first time to fly and flew it up to check his roof out, it was at that point in the story, I could no longer fully trust what was being told. Everything great until I took my first flight to MY ROOF.

2/ Another guy, I was testing my Mavic, again everything checked and good to go, Also a new flyer, so what does he do he takes it up a narrow lane in the forest at 1 meter high with complete sky cover, and that maybe ok, but what again threw it for me was there where children playing in the lane, really testing your Mavic in an unsuitable place where children are playing, again I take a very pragmatic view to such things.
I really do hope those who have defective product are looked after through warranty, but I also think it would be very helpful for dji to make some comment on this.
2017-4-29
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

I think this thread just gave voice to what some of us were privately thinking: that in a fairly short period of time there's been a cluster of reports of what used to be a very uncommon problem, namely the Mavic spontaneously dropping from the sky. Yes, there have always been -- and always will be -- crash threads on here, but until a few weeks ago almost none of them involved a spontaneous Karma-like loss of power.

And yes, maybe it's related to the pilot's experience level. I haven't seen anyone rule out that possibility -- except perhaps DJI, which apparently has provided warranty repair / replacements in some cases. If it's being caused by, say, someone failing to properly latch the battery then maybe the solution is as simple as DJI updating the text on the sticker that comes on the battery. But until the cause of each is identified, it seems appropriate to include in a list all the cases with superficially similar symptoms even though it's unlikely that all of them had the same root cause.

And yes, this thread may make some people nervous regarding the Mavic's reliability and that's unfortunate because the vast majority are obviously flying just fine -- but that fact is cold comfort to those who do experience this problem. Besides, before this thread was created I had seen more than one new or an infrequent forum participant say that they had noticed reports of the Mavic falling from the sky, so I don't think this thread is the cause of the concern so much as it is a response to it.
2017-4-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-29 04:18
I think this thread just gave voice to what some of us were privately thinking: that in a fairly short period of time there's been a cluster of reports of what used to be a very uncommon problem, namely the Mavic spontaneously dropping from the sky. Yes, there have always been -- and always will be -- crash threads on here, but until a few weeks ago almost none of them involved a spontaneous Karma-like loss of power.

And yes, maybe it's related to the pilot's experience level. I haven't seen anyone rule out that possibility -- except perhaps DJI, which apparently has provided warranty repair / replacements in some cases. If it's being caused by, say, someone failing to properly latch the battery then maybe the solution is as simple as DJI updating the text on the sticker that comes on the battery. But until the cause of each is identified, it seems appropriate to include in a list all the cases with superficially similar symptoms even though it's unlikely that all of them had the same root cause.

Droneflying, I do see real merit in the debate the thread creates, and your correct there have been a number of so far unexplained power cut outs in Mavic recently, however there have been other cases where power was lost and Mavic just dropped going back to when people first got them.

I do think that dji either through mods or statement , could be a bit more informative, if there is a problem, yes they have adjudged some to be malfunction and covered those by warranty, and we who are interested don't have much of a clue as to why or what might have happened, so maybe they can jump in and try to alleviate fears for those who in particular purchased in march, and dispel talk about bad manufactured batch in the month of March.
I for one don't think there is enough proof to be suggesting this, and I think Xman1 makes a good point in his post regarding it being a numbers game.

I do think it's fine to make a list of those who have had similar symptoms, but I also think that gathering the information by soliciting the information is open for debate. Many of these cases have very similar as well as very different occurrences,for instances some fly for twenty minutes and some fly only a couple of minutes etc etc, so it's just as easy to rope them altogether as it is to pick them apart.

Long and short of it is, those who have crashed through no fault of they're own deserve to be looked after, and I do think dji will look after these. And if there is a real problem i.e. March or battery, that we are correctly informed.
2017-4-29
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Hi Jason , This information is good to know , In my opinion of the Power Loss issues / AC crashes is that the
               battery is not fully seated , I say this because I did experience a couple of times one side Right or
               Left side of my Mavic battery not fully seated and clicked into place -- I've always checked this B4
               every flight it would happen maybe once out of 10 flights no matter what battery I used -- I
               have 7 batteries -- I never experienced a total power loss,  I always wondered about this and
               what the cause can be? --- For some odd reason after I replaced one of my batteries to continue
               on with another flight I went to put the Mavic onto the ground and happen to push the battery
               Down into place again ( this was just a subconscious thing I never did B4 ) and it clicked into
               place -- I was like WTF???????? I found out it was me who was causing one side of the battery
               detach !!!!!!! All this time I was thinking it was due to my aggressive flying well???? I found
               when I was handling the Mavic as always I would grab it by the center of it's body, then put the
               Mavic down onto the ground , I was putting pressure on either of the locking tabs causing one
               side to disconnect without realizing it !!!! IT WAS MY FAULT!!!!

Now I double check it all the time especially when I put it down onto the ground B4 a flight
              and never again since realizing this, have I come back from a flight with one side disconnected !!
     I hope this post helps
FlySafe-FlyFree
             from a flight

2017-4-29
Use props
odradek
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1817087 ft
France

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-29 02:20
I kinda take a similar view. But I tend to be very pragmatic in my views, as most people around here will know.
If you take the month of January, lots of crashes, again all with similar problems, almost all pilots had loads of experience flying dji products, yet their Mavics were just taking off and hitting the wall or the house or fence, none of those who crashed had any control over their Mavic and immediately blamed dji for a problem with their Mavic,
But the truth was most of these cases where taking off in Atti mode, not waiting for gps lock and as a result no control and crashed.

Hi Hallmark007,

Since you kind of mentioned me in your post, without naming, I feel I have to answer you.

For those following this thread, I am the new Mavic owner metionned under #2 of this post.
I indeed flew my mavic in a partially tree covered environment, that is true. Second thing, yes, my kid was around. I wanted to make a movie of him. You see, I don't really understand your reproaches because, if I'm not mistaken, DJI based a part of its communication and advertisement to sell the MAVIC PRO on the fact that you can film yourself from above, you can track people's movement (yourself included). So, I really don't see or understand why I couldn't try to make a short video of my kid riding his small bicycle with my new drone. Especially when I'm flying from no more than 2 o3 meters high all along with a speed less than 10 Mph, taking all the precautions I could take (not overflying him for example)

Concerning my problem with the MAVIC, I maintain what I saw : my four motors stopped all at once when I was very calmly flying my MAVIC a few meters (2 or 3) from me at a height of 1,5m. This, I'm sure of and this is the very truth of it. Now, I've never said this couldn't be my fault. Maybe it is, I don't know. I just don't understand how my MAVIC, in a no wind and basically very normal and calm situation, could loss power all of a sudden and it be MY FAULT.

Furthermore, my DAT file was analysed by BubWalker (Peace and Glory upon him ;-)), and he revealed that their was a power drop from 11 volts to 7 Volts on all 4 motors just before the crash.

Last thing that I want people to know is that my MAVIC, due to the very short height it was flying, didn't break. The crash left it with a small scratch on the camera but everything seemed to work properly after that (I took 2 other short flights). This is just for you to understand that I'm not a sore owner of a MAVIC who would have broken his new toy on the second day only to blame the manufacturer. My drone is (externally, at least) OK.

Still, I just don't want to fly with fear each time I take my drone out. So I contacted DJI and they organised a pick-up by UPS to their facilities in Netherland. On a more positive note, the fact that my drone is in perfect shape, might help DJI to analyse it better and if a default appears (which it should, IMHO) it might be a good thing for the MAVIC community.
2017-5-2
Use props
odradek
lvl.2
France

And when you say that there where children playing in the lane, excepted my kid who you don't see in this feed, well, I let people be judge :

2017-5-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

odradek Posted at 2017-5-2 03:37
And when you say that there where children playing in the lane, excepted my kid who you don't see in this feed, well, I let people be judge :

https://youtu.be/mGz2vAVG3Co

Well Odradek, if you can't see right at end of your video 3 children coming into view, I don't know what to say to you, if say you lost gps in such a situation then there could have been a problem if you lost control, you say yourself that your aircraft acted irrationally and that's something we all must be aware of particularly when beginning to fly and that's why dji recommend and the manual tells you to fly in suitable environments.
Yes your right you can use active track, take selfies and fly indoors, but it is recommended that you learn how to fly and control your aircraft by taking it into open spaces, but most of this is common sense and you are entitled to make up your own mind on that.
I do actually think there is a problem with some aircraft just cutting out, I don't know what it is, and hope dji can offer some explanation as to what it might be.

Good luck.
2017-5-2
Use props
odradek
lvl.2
France

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-2 04:14
Well Odradek, if you can't see right at end of your video 3 children coming into view, I don't know what to say to you, if say you lost gps in such a situation then there could have been a problem if you lost control, you say yourself that your aircraft acted irrationally and that's something we all must be aware of particularly when beginning to fly and that's why dji recommend and the manual tells you to fly in suitable environments.
Yes your right you can use active track, take selfies and fly indoors, but it is recommended that you learn how to fly and control your aircraft by taking it into open spaces, but most of this is common sense and you are entitled to make up your own mind on that.
I do actually think there is a problem with some aircraft just cutting out, I don't know what it is, and hope dji can offer some explanation as to what it might be.

I can see people coming at the end of the video (2+1 behind them) but they're not children, they are adults walkers, and my move was to avoid them on the right or even to land if there was not enough space for safety. It's just that when you write "there where children playing in the lane" if I was an exterior reader of your post I would think that the MAVIC owner you're refering to is a stupid guy who is flying his drone above a schoolyard... Well, I just wanted to show that it was really not the case.
In fact, I answered and commented your post because I saw a huge gap between what you described of my behaviour and the reality of it and I just wanted to correct it for your readers to have more accurate and precise account of what happened to me, especially since you were using it as an argument to kind of play down a possible manufactured problem on the march batch of the MAVIC PRO. You can do that, it is your right, but not by making people believe that some (most of the ?) new owners behave like crap, because I honestly think that wasn't the case (I'm not saying I'm perfect, far from it) but I definitely flew my drone with lots of precautions.
2017-5-2
Use props
odradek
lvl.2
France

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-2 04:14

Besides, I didn't say the aircraft acted irrationnally. I said the motors stopped all at once and the MAVIC crashed, but until then it was flying perfectly and I controlled it without any kind of problem. I actually found it very easy to fly and was amazed by it stability and command response.
2017-5-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

odradek Posted at 2017-5-2 04:34
I can see people coming at the end of the video (2+1 behind them) but they're not children, they are adults walkers, and my move was to avoid them on the right or even to land if there was not enough space for safety. It's just that when you write "there where children playing in the lane" if I was an exterior reader of your post I would think that the MAVIC owner you're refering to is a stupid guy who is flying his drone above a schoolyard... Well, I just wanted to show that it was really not the case.
In fact, I answered and commented your post because I saw a huge gap between what you described of my behaviour and the reality of it and I just wanted to correct it for your readers to have more accurate and precise account of what happened to me, especially since you were using it as an argument to kind of play down a possible manufactured problem on the march batch of the MAVIC PRO. You can do that, it is your right, but not by making people believe that some (most of the ?) new owners behave like crap, because I honestly think that wasn't the case (I'm not saying I'm perfect, far from it) but I definitely flew my drone with lots of precautions.

Look as you said, you were going to move your aircraft to the right as people passed, think about that, what if you lost control as they were passing, to me this is not being responsible as it could go seriously wrong.
I'm not trying to make you feel stupid, we all make mistakes it's what we learn from them that will make us more responsible going forward, if you don't want to take my opinion on board that's fine.
2017-5-2
Use props
odradek
lvl.2
France

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-2 04:52
Look as you said, you were going to move your aircraft to the right as people passed, think about that, what if you lost control as they were passing, to me this is not being responsible as it could go seriously wrong.
I'm not trying to make you feel stupid, we all make mistakes it's what we learn from them that will make us more responsible going forward, if you don't want to take my opinion on board that's fine.

No, it's not that I don't want to take your opinon into consideration, it's just that I didn't realize I could lost control of a tech marvel such as the MAVIC while flying it very slowly and cautiously. I understand that when you race with other drones or fly like crazy, bad things can happen, I just didn't know, and didn't think, this could happen when you're less than ten meters away from your drone flying between 0 and 10 Mph, especially considering all the securities of this drone. Now, if you tell me that in this configuration I can lose control of my drone i will believe you since you have a lot more of experience than I do, and, of course I won't fly again in an environment where it can hurt people (although, to my defence, it was working hours and there was practically noone around, excepted the 3 walkers coming my way at the end of my flight). But, when I say I thought I behaved cautiously I really mean it. Maybe with your pragmatism (and I'm also a pragmatic), you would say I didh't, but to my knowledge at the time I thought every thing was OK.

Actually, and this is where I realize your right, I lost control of it when the power cut and it fell on the ground. This said, I wasn't overflying or intending to overfly people. Now I know that even when your in control, unforeseen thing can happen and I'll definitely be more careful when my MAVIC comes back from DJI...
2017-5-2
Use props
odradek
lvl.2
France

Hello Jason Lane,

That's a lot of work you did and I hope and guess it will be very useful.

Just one thing. In the Airtable, concerning my incident, you stated that ther was no DAT file Anomaly. I would like to know if you analyzed it and found no anomaly or if you based this assessment on an other info that I would not have myself ? The thing is, being new to MAVIC, I don't really know how all this DAT or log files work.
There was a post on my thread, by BubWalker, displaying a graph that showed there was a power drop from 11 Volts to 7 Volts on all the motors of my drone just before the crash. I thought this was the result of the DAT file analysis (there : https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jgsgw ... 8_00-39-10.DAT?dl=0), but maybe it was only extracted from the log files (there : http://app.airdata.com/main?share=fYkWiR). I actually don't know. But if it's the result of the DAT files analysis, I would have thought this could be an anomaly, couldn't it ?
I'd be grateful to you if you could enlighten me on this matter.
2017-5-2
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

odradek Posted at 2017-5-2 07:35
Hello Jason Lane,

That's a lot of work you did and I hope and guess it will be very useful.

Hi Odradek,

I was also following your thread, and I agree, your voltage drop could be called an anomaly. But that field in my table is actually referring to a very specific anomaly that BudWalker noticed in the .dat file from another case of in-flight power failure. (See http://mavicpilots.com/threads/d ... /page-3#post-159141) He found that the file was missing "record 176_36," which normally contains some important battery information. After noticing that anomaly, we've tried to see if record 176_36 was also missing in other cases. So far it doesn't seem to be a common occurrence, and your .dat file doesn't appear to be missing record 176_36.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm going to rename that field now :-)
2017-5-2
Use props
odradek
lvl.2
France

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-5-2 08:38
Hi Odradek,

I was also following your thread, and I agree, your voltage drop could be called an anomaly. But that field in my table is actually referring to a very specific anomaly that BudWalker noticed in the .dat file from another case of in-flight power failure. (See http://mavicpilots.com/threads/day-2-on-mavic-failure-and-crash.13367/page-3#post-159141) He found that the file was missing "record 176_36," which normally contains some important battery information. After noticing that anomaly, we've tried to see if record 176_36 was also missing in other cases. So far it doesn't seem to be a common occurrence, and your .dat file doesn't appear to be missing record 176_36.

Thank you for this precision. And thank you again for compiling those infos.

As for my case, I found something odd while copying the videos from the SD card. The video of the crash itself was showing a strange date of creation for the file : ‎mardi ‎31 ‎décembre ‎2013, ‏‎23:00:06 12/31/2017 - 11:06 PM), when the 3 others videos recorded on that day indicate the correct date and time of recording (04/27/2017).

I suppose it's probably of no real interest but I wanted you to have this information since you seem to really know what you're talking about.
Thanks again.
2017-5-2
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

These could very well be battery issues and not AC issues but I dont see anyone touching on that hypothesis.
2017-5-2
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-5-2 08:57
These could very well be battery issues and not AC issues but I dont see anyone touching on that hypothesis.

Not in this thread, no, but that possibility has been raised in at least one other and I don't believe anything has been ruled out at this point.
2017-5-2
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

Fractures Posted at 2017-5-2 08:57

You're right, the issue could very well be with the batteries. The problem is that I think it's really hard to determine one way or the other by just looking at the data. What we can see is that in these incidents, there's a sudden and complete loss of power. I don't think the data will ever be able to tell us whether the power loss was the result of a battery shutdown, a battery disconnect, a power failure in the Mavic's main board, etc. Unless there's some kind of data logged within the batteries themselves, but I've never heard that suggested.

One possible clue would be whether or not the battery was still powered on after a crash. However, in most of these cases the battery was badly damaged, or the whole Mavic was lost completely. Odradek's case provided me some hope that he might have been able to answer this question because his crash apparently resulted in no significant damage. However, when I asked him about the power state of the battery, he was unfortunately unable to remember.

Also, when I started collecting this data, I didn't realize it was possible to find out our battery build dates using the serial number decoder. I only realized this a few days ago, and I will see if I can gather some data on that to add to my table, as well.
2017-5-2
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

odradek Posted at 2017-5-2 05:08
No, it's not that I don't want to take your opinon into consideration, it's just that I didn't realize I could lost control of a tech marvel such as the MAVIC while flying it very slowly and cautiously. I understand that when you race with other drones or fly like crazy, bad things can happen, I just didn't know, and didn't think, this could happen when you're less than ten meters away from your drone flying between 0 and 10 Mph, especially considering all the securities of this drone. Now, if you tell me that in this configuration I can lose control of my drone i will believe you since you have a lot more of experience than I do, and, of course I won't fly again in an environment where it can hurt people (although, to my defence, it was working hours and there was practically noone around, excepted the 3 walkers coming my way at the end of my flight). But, when I say I thought I behaved cautiously I really mean it. Maybe with your pragmatism (and I'm also a pragmatic), you would say I didh't, but to my knowledge at the time I thought every thing was OK.

Actually, and this is where I realize your right, I lost control of it when the power cut and it fell on the ground. This said, I wasn't overflying or intending to overfly people. Now I know that even when your in control, unforeseen thing can happen and I'll definitely be more careful when my MAVIC comes back from DJI...

Now I know that even when your in control, unforeseen thing can happen and I'll definitely be more careful when my MAVIC comes back from DJI.

And that's the key.  Anything can happen at any time.  That's why you shouldn't be flying around people.  Especially if you read any of the forums, you should know that things DO happen.  That doesn't mean you were flying recklessly.  It just means that you put yourself and what you were doing ahead of the other people around you.  At any time, something can go wrong, causing loss of control.  You have to assume that and plan for it at all times.  If it had been me on a trail like that, and I assumed there was no traffic on the trail, I would have shut down as soon as I saw the other people coming my way.  Then take off again after they pass and leave the area.  "Crap" happens, and you can't always control it.  You just have to do your best to not put yourself in the situation where it can cause damage.
2017-5-2
Use props
odradek
lvl.2
France

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-5-2 12:04
Now I know that even when your in control, unforeseen thing can happen and I'll definitely be more careful when my MAVIC comes back from DJI.

And that's the key.  Anything can happen at any time.  That's why you shouldn't be flying around people.  Especially if you read any of the forums, you should know that things DO happen.  That doesn't mean you were flying recklessly.  It just means that you put yourself and what you were doing ahead of the other people around you.  At any time, something can go wrong, causing loss of control.  You have to assume that and plan for it at all times.  If it had been me on a trail like that, and I assumed there was no traffic on the trail, I would have shut down as soon as I saw the other people coming my way.  Then take off again after they pass and leave the area.  "Crap" happens, and you can't always control it.  You just have to do your best to not put yourself in the situation where it can cause damage.

Hi AG0N-Gary,

I agree with most of your post but not when you write : "It just means that you put yourself and what you were doing ahead of the other people around you". See, I sincerely thought there was no risk at all wether it be for my kid, the other very few people I came across while flying my drone or myself. With all the securities the MAVIC is supposed to be equipped with, I sincerely thought ther was no danger for anyone. Now,after being lectured here on this thread about the dangers of an always possible loss of control, if I was to do it again, yes, you could say that "I put myself and what I am doing ahead of the other people around me", but not the first time.
2017-5-2
Use props
odradek
lvl.2
France

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-5-2 09:12
You're right, the issue could very well be with the batteries. The problem is that I think it's really hard to determine one way or the other by just looking at the data. What we can see is that in these incidents, there's a sudden and complete loss of power. I don't think the data will ever be able to tell us whether the power loss was the result of a battery shutdown, a battery disconnect, a power failure in the Mavic's main board, etc. Unless there's some kind of data logged within the batteries themselves, but I've never heard that suggested.

One possible clue would be whether or not the battery was still powered on after a crash. However, in most of these cases the battery was badly damaged, or the whole Mavic was lost completely. Odradek's case provided me some hope that he might have been able to answer this question because his crash apparently resulted in no significant damage. However, when I asked him about the power state of the battery, he was unfortunately unable to remember.

"Odradek's case provided me some hope that he might have been able to answer this question because his crash apparently resulted in no significant damage. However, when I asked him about the power state of the battery, he was unfortunately unable to remember."

Yes, sorry about that... at the time I didn't realise it could be of any importance...
Anyway, The Drone is on its way to DJI facilities in Netherlands and I'll let you know any further development for you to be able to complete your table. And maybe DJI will be able to analyze data from the battery since they asked for it to be returned with the MAVIC.
2017-5-2
Use props
odradek
lvl.2
France

HEllo Jason Lane,

Just a message to let you know that you can update your table. Indeed, I just got a notification from DJI Repair Center in Netherlands that my problem falls under the terms of their warranty system. Here are the remarks :
       Warranty, battery cut off. A new craft, gimbal, battery and props are needed.
As it's stated, it's free of charge.
I guess the power cut mid-air that my MAVIC PRO was victim of is definitely the result of a manufacturing problem.

Now I hope that the repair center won't live to their reputation sending me back a refurbished replacement not working properly... Anyway, that's another story. Actually, so far, so good. I got my problem exactly 2 weeks ago and it's already been taken into account, returned (no charge for me) and analyzed. According to them it should be repaired under 2 or 3 working days before they return it to me... All that considering that 1st and 8th of  may (at least in France) are bank hollidays...
2017-5-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

odradek Posted at 2017-5-11 00:54
HEllo Jason Lane,

Just a message to let you know that you can update your table. Indeed, I just got a notification from DJI Repair Center in Netherlands that my problem falls under the terms of their warranty system. Here are the remarks :

Great news pleased for you. Hope you get it back soon..
2017-5-11
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

odradek Posted at 2017-5-2 12:40
Hi AG0N-Gary,

I agree with most of your post but not when you write : "It just means that you put yourself and what you were doing ahead of the other people around you". See, I sincerely thought there was no risk at all wether it be for my kid, the other very few people I came across while flying my drone or myself. With all the securities the MAVIC is supposed to be equipped with, I sincerely thought ther was no danger for anyone. Now,after being lectured here on this thread about the dangers of an always possible loss of control, if I was to do it again, yes, you could say that "I put myself and what I am doing ahead of the other people around me", but not the first time.

odradek , Great News your issue was not pilot error and your bird is being replaced with a new one
               Good Luck and enjoy it !!
FlySafe-FlyFree
2017-5-11
Use props
odradek
lvl.2
France

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-5-11 03:14
odradek , Great News your issue was not pilot error and your bird is being replaced with a new one
               Good Luck and enjoy it !!
FlySafe-FlyFree

Thank you :-) SkunkWerks
2017-5-11
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

odradek Posted at 2017-5-11 00:54
HEllo Jason Lane,

That's good news for you! Thanks for the update.
2017-5-11
Use props
odradek
lvl.2
France

It's interesting to notice that, with all the infos provided in your document (Airtable - Mavic Power Failures), the only drones covered by the DJI warranty were built around the 24th of march (+ or - 1 day). This could be another sign of the "bad batch theory" being verified.
2017-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules