Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
$700 ! Crazy repair price
1076 9 2017-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Seahorse
New
United States

OK I'm an idiot I bought a new Mavic and crashed into the water!  Ithink it had the first battery in it!

I sent it in for repair and expected a pretty heafty bill. I got an email from repair quoting $700

So thinking that was my best option I sent my Credi Card info in and its onthe way back to me.

Now Im having second thoughts.  I should have just bought another Mavic for $300 more

Get a new unit, extra remote (to train with) and some extra batteries and still have my old bones to pick through for spares

Why didn't DJI just offer a new unit?

I'm I missing somthing?

SH   
2017-4-28
Use props
Fractures
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

You can get just the Aircraft for $750. My guess is they will be sending you a brand new unit as replacement which is why the cost is so close . With water damage theres not much "repairing" you can do. They could also be sending you someone elses refurb unit in which case you should have just paid an extra $50 for a brand new AC.

http://store.dji.com/product/mav ... charger#/?_k=phhttx
2017-4-28
Use props
Mcflying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Yes, that is a steep bill you got.
But DJI cannot look into your wallet.
So, you get/got what you asked for,....a repair.
If i was you i would contact them and explain the matter.
Cause before you know it you end up with a repaired Mavic and a new one.
And a total bill of 1700 USD
2017-4-28
Use props
jeebs-9
First Officer
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

It's crazy... I kind of know how he feels. I probably would of brought a new one. And sold the old one for parts. Because as of right now I have 2 myself. One was sent in for DJI refresh care. And is on a major delay. It's been a while and I couldn't take it anymore. So I brought a new Mavic. And when the other one gets back from DJI. I'll sell it off for a discounted the price. In my thread I've already asked but I'm sure I'll get declined. I asked for credit towards other future DJI products instead of getting it back. Because it's not like I'm going to another company lol. I brought another one lol.
Love my Mavic!
2017-4-28
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

From what I understand water can damage delicate electronics in subtle ways that can come back to haunt you later. That's not such a big deal if you're talking about a cell phone that goes for a swim because the worst thing that's likely to happen is that you'll get disconnected in the middle of a phone call. But for something like this where a crash can have serious implications, it's not hard to understand that the aircraft might be considered essentially a total loss.

In any case, yes, I would have just bought a brand new aircraft for $50 more as Fractures mentioned. If I were you'd I'd probably contact DJI right away and see if you can cancel the repair request. Based on what I've seen, it takes a few days at best after they receive payment before they actually start the repair / replacement process, so it's possible that they haven't actually started doing anything in your case. That's not to say that you're guaranteed to be able to reverse the process that's in motion, but it's worth a try. Good luck.
2017-4-28
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

Sounds like they are telling you to buy a new drone.  $750 for a brand new one.
2017-4-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sorry to hear about that, could you please provide me your case number so I can look into it and make it clear for you?
2017-4-29
Use props
Seahorse
New
United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-4-28 10:12
You can get just the Aircraft for $750. My guess is they will be sending you a brand new unit as replacement which is why the cost is so close . With water damage theres not much "repairing" you can do. They could also be sending you someone elses refurb unit in which case you should have just paid an extra $50 for a brand new AC.

http://store.dji.com/product/mavic-pro-aircraft-excludes-remote-controller-and-battery-charger#/?_k=phhttx

So I ended up on the phone  for almost an 1.5 hrs with customer service discussing the  cost of  the repair which didn't included a new battery.  I would have been out $800 bucks to replace the Mavic and battery together.

I really thought the Repair Dept should have  either offered Refresh  for a year or  discounted the  repair to a reasonable cost. The next option was to refund my money ($700) and buy new. I'd have a  brand new Drone, Spare Battery and  Extra Remote  

So that seemed like the best option for me.  Now I need to buy insurance!

AB
2017-4-30
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Seahorse Posted at 2017-4-30 10:33
So I ended up on the phone  for almost an 1.5 hrs with customer service discussing the  cost of  the repair which didn't included a new battery.  I would have been out $800 bucks to replace the Mavic and battery together.

I really thought the Repair Dept should have  either offered Refresh  for a year or  discounted the  repair to a reasonable cost. The next option was to refund my money ($700) and buy new. I'd have a  brand new Drone, Spare Battery and  Extra Remote  

So they agreed to refund your money and return the aircraft? Yes, that like a much better option than paying for a $700 repair that doesn't even include a battery. You may even be able to get some money by selling the damaged Mavic for script, and I'm sure you can sell your additional remote if you don't want to have two. In fact, earlier this week ProQuad indicated that he was interested in getting a second remote, so you might try sending him a Private Message and see if he's still looking.
2017-4-30
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-30 10:59
So they agreed to refund your money and return the aircraft? Yes, that like a much better option than paying for a $700 repair that doesn't even include a battery. You may even be able to get some money by selling the damaged Mavic for script, and I'm sure you can sell your additional remote if you don't want to have two. In fact, earlier this week ProQuad indicated that he was interested in getting a second remote, so you might try sending him a Private Message and see if he's still looking.

Lots would buy a remote for modding purposes if the price was right.
2017-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules